Boston recommendations from a resident

rhondakap

I just got back from a cruise to Alaska and really benefited from Cruise Critic. I booked everything independently--definitely the way to go. So I thought I would share some of my Boston knowledge. I live right here in the city. Here are some suggestions for what to do when you're here: (google any of these to find links)

Freedom Trail--historical walking tour that you can do yourself, follow the red trail and read the info on a map. On the Freedom Trail you'll visit: Paul Revere's House, Old North Church (one if by land. . .), Bunker Hill Monument, Old State House (site of the Boston Massacre), etc.

Black Heritage Trail--great tour guided by the National Park Service showing historical sites of the abolitionist movement. Meet at the 54th regiment memorial across from the State House.

Fenway Park tour--buy tickets at the Twins Souvenier shop.

Museum of Science--people love our museum. If you've never been to Cooperstown, we have the Baseball in America exhibit right now.

Institute of Contemporary Art--near the cruise ship terminals. The building alone is a site to see-canitlevered over the harbor.

Harbor Walk--a nice walk along the harbor, made even nicer since we put the highway underground.

Swan Boats--remember Make Way for Ducklings?

Museum of Fine Arts--John Singer Sargent, Egyptian exhibit, Impressionists, etc.

New England Aquarium--I think it's tired and old but people love it. My friends from Brooklyn just took their 6 year old and said it was the best aquarium they visited (clearly never been to Seaworld in Orlando).

Depending on how long you're here, you can take a whale watch tour or take the ferry to Provincetown (the tip of Cape Cod) and walk around there for the day.

Visit the Boston Harbor Islands via ferry.

Any of the MBTA commuter ferries will give you a nice view of the South Shore (Hingham) or NOrth Shore (Salem).

Take the MBTA commuter rail nearly anywhere. Visit the beach or Wolf Hollow in Ipswich or Lexington/Concord--the possibilities are endless. I believe you can also take the commuter rail to Pawtucket RI to catch the PawSox.

Any other suggestions needed? Just ask or add some of your own.

Here's another suggestion. I grew up in a beautiful, historic seaside town called Marblehead. The 441/442 bus from Haymarket will get you there in an hour. Take the bus all the way to Old Town and walk around and explore.

I just got back from a cruise to Alaska and really benefited from Cruise Critic. I booked everything independently--definitely the way to go. So I thought I would share some of my Boston knowledge. I live right here in the city. Here are some suggestions for what to do when you're here: (google any of these to find links)

Freedom Trail--historical walking tour that you can do yourself, follow the red trail and read the info on a map. On the Freedom Trail you'll visit: Paul Revere's House, Old North Church (one if by land. . .), Bunker Hill Monument, Old State House (site of the Boston Massacre), etc.

Black Heritage Trail--great tour guided by the National Park Service showing historical sites of the abolitionist movement. Meet at the 54th regiment memorial across from the State House.

Museum of Science--people love our museum. If you've never been to Cooperstown, we have the Baseball in America exhibit right now.

Institute of Contemporary Art--near the cruise ship terminals. The building alone is a site to see-canitlevered over the harbor.

Harbor Walk--a nice walk along the harbor, made even nicer since we put the highway underground.

Museum of Fine Arts--John Singer Sargent, Egyptian exhibit, Impressionists, etc.

New England Aquarium--I think it's tired and old but people love it. My friends from Brooklyn just took their 6 year old and said it was the best aquarium they visited (clearly never been to Seaworld in Orlando).

Depending on how long you're here, you can take a whale watch tour or take the ferry to Provincetown (the tip of Cape Cod) and walk around there for the day.

Any of the MBTA commuter ferries will give you a nice view of the South Shore (Hingham) or NOrth Shore (Salem).

Take the MBTA commuter rail nearly anywhere. Visit the beach or Wolf Hollow in Ipswich or Lexington/Concord--the possibilities are endless. I believe you can also take the commuter rail to Pawtucket RI to catch the PawSox.

Thank you for this helpful list, rhondakap. Could indicate how much time you would figure for any of your suggestions?

I'm sure Quincy Mkt is wheelchair accessible, but the area is also paved with cobblestones. It's been controversial around here--in the interests of historical accuracy and aesthetics, the city has used brick and stones on sidewalks and crosswalks, but that's made is difficult for wheelchairs.

As for time, for the Freedom Trail, take as long as you want. Eat in the North End (Italian area--maybe Regina's Pizza) or stop at one of the new restaurants in Charlestown (Bunker Hill and USS Constitution). I bet there's a guide on line that tells you how long between stops.

If you take the commuter train or ferry somewhere, the schedule will tell you how long the trip is.

Black Heritage Trail is about a 45 minute tour, if I remember correctly. It's up and down Beacon Hill, so fairly strenuous. Ends at the Museum of Afro American History, if you just want to check that out.

Harbor Walk--just meander at your own pace.

We also have a small Chinatown. I recommend East Ocean City for Chinese or Pho Pasteur for Vietnamese. If it's cold, go to Pho Pasteur and order a large bowl of Pho soup. Or you can try Dim Sum at China Pearl or Chau Chow, depending on the day and the time that you're here.

Enjoy our city!

Rhonda

In all seriousness, we were there last fall as one of the Grandeur ports of call. Enjoyed the sites via the hop on hop off bus. The tour guides, as always, were very informative. We relaxed with a pleasant stroll through the park where the Swan Boats were.

Cheers is actually the Bull and Finch, which lost all of it's charm 20 years ago when it became a tourist attraction.

Another suggestion, take the Orange Line all the way to Forest Hills (about 20 minutes from Downtown Crossing). Walk up the street about 1/2 mile (or take the 21 or 31 bus a very short distance) and then stroll through the Forest Hills cemetery. Beautiful sculptures, a peaceful pond, great birdwatching. Don't try to walk up Tower St to the pedestrian gate--it's usually closed. (You'll learn that Boston is not very tourist friendly at times!) While you're in that area, get a beer at Doyle's (the sign actually says Braddock Cafe). It's a famous bar for political happenings. Forest Hills is in Jamaica Plain, which is a very funky neighborhood when you get up to Centre Street.

Try Jasper White's Summer Shack (near the Pru) for great seafood. I'm sure there's chowder there. Jasper White is one of those premier chefs; probably has a show on Food Network or something. Also the Barking Crab is a fun place, should be near the cruise ship terminal (Northern Ave or Sleeper Street or somewhere down there).

For those of you who like touristy things, and are visiting Quincy Market, visit Durgin Park. Supposedly a quintissential Boston restaurant. Cheap prime rib, great corn bread, chowder, rude wait staff, and table sharing.

Near the pier is the No Name Pub for seafood.

For beer, there's Boston Beer Works across from Fenway Park. Very crowded on game days. Combine that with a tour of Fenway. Doyles or James' Gate in JP (Jamaica Plain) for a pint of Guinness (that's a trek--not worth it just for beer) (or there are some nice new places in South Boston I bet). You can also tour the Sam Adams brewery in JP. The Harpoon Brewery is on Northern Ave, which should be near the cruise ship terminal. And Rock Bottom is on Stuart Street, in the Transportation Building, along with some good restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...
Try Jasper White's Summer Shack (near the Pru) for great seafood. I'm sure there's chowder there. Jasper White is one of those premier chefs; probably has a show on Food Network or something. Also the Barking Crab is a fun place, should be near the cruise ship terminal (Northern Ave or Sleeper Street or somewhere down there).

For those of you who like touristy things, and are visiting Quincy Market, visit Durgin Park. Supposedly a quintissential Boston restaurant. Cheap prime rib, great corn bread, chowder, rude wait staff, and table sharing.

Near the pier is the No Name Pub for seafood.

For beer, there's Boston Beer Works across from Fenway Park. Very crowded on game days. Combine that with a tour of Fenway. Doyles or James' Gate in JP (Jamaica Plain) for a pint of Guinness (that's a trek--not worth it just for beer) (or there are some nice new places in South Boston I bet). You can also tour the Sam Adams brewery in JP. The Harpoon Brewery is on Northern Ave, which should be near the cruise ship terminal. And Rock Bottom is on Stuart Street, in the Transportation Building, along with some good restaurants.

We will be in Boston Oct 10th and would love to do a tour of Fenway Park. What is the best way to get to Fenway Park from the Black Falcon Terminal and can you purchase tour tickets right at the park.

If you're going to the park by public transportation, take the silver line inbound to South Station. Then take the Red line inbound to Park St and change for the green line outbound, get off at Kenmore. You can always check the MBTA (called the T) web site to plan your trip www.mbta.com

Here's the website for Fenway tours http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

Buy the ticket the day of the tour. I always thought they sold them at the "Twins" souvenier shop, but I might be wrong.

Stop by ANY reesturant in the North End ( Italian neighborhood) they have it all from very reasonable to very expensive. For pizza I LOVE Regina's it is a no frills place w/ GREAT pizza. Usually there is a significant line but it moves fast, t is not a place where you " linger" I've been to many resturants in the North End and NEVER had a bad meal. Sometimes I like to go to 1 place for apps, 1 place for dinner and another for cappuccino. YUM!!!

The Muesum of Science is a good place to go to if the weather is yucky...not to far over in Cambridge ( you can also catch "Duck Tours there)

Ok thats my 2 cents worth...

For pizza I LOVE Regina's it is a no frills place w/ GREAT pizza. Usually there is a significant line but it moves fast, t is not a place where you " linger"

I lived right across the street from Regina Pizzaria on Thacher Street in the North End for a year in the 80's - loved to wait for the line out the door to form on weekends before I'd call in my to-go order, grab the pizza and then sit on the fire escape eating pizza with friends - ah the memories...

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the easiest way to get there may be to take a taxi. The Constitution is several blocks from the nearest T station. You can see it, but it's awkward to get to.

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/Directions.htm

By public transportation you would take the Silver Line at Black Falcon pier to South Station, transfer to the Red Line towards Alewife (back of the train), and transfer to the Green Line at Park St (2 stops) going towards Lechmere, being sure to get on a trolley that goes to North Station (some trolleys end before North Station). From North Station you would follow the directions from the web site.

I had to look this up on Google to find out that all along the Waterfront is designated as the "Harbor Walk". It's actually becoming quite comprehensive, but I think you would be most interested in the area between Black Falcon and the Aquarium. It is safe.

I used to work at the World Trade Center and found the South Boston area between the pier and South Station to be much less interesting. If it were me, I would take the Silver Line to South Station and walk north to Northern Avenue where there is a staircase to the boardwalk at the water's edge. You can follow this along to the Aquarium, which is close to Quincey Market. If you still haven't had enough you can walk through the North End (stay on the streets, not the water) and pick the walk across the Charlestown bridge to the U.S.S. Constitution.

http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/

• 3 weeks later...

How do we find out about the whale watch tour?

• 1 month later...
Here's another suggestion. I grew up in a beautiful, historic seaside town called Marblehead. The 441/442 bus from Haymarket will get you there in an hour. Take the bus all the way to Old Town and walk around and explore.
:) I need a locals advice. We are doing a round trip, 33 day cruise in late July to late August. Money is not a problem for us fortuneatly but ease of touring is at 77. I am thinking of booking a 3 night pre-cruise stay at the Embassy Suites at Logan. Being out of town so to speak I thought it might be the easiest place from which we might take guided private tours to the outskirts like Concod,Waldens pond, Salem Etc....We have been all over the City itself. 2 questions. 1 : Will Logan be an easy in and out for a limo tour?....2 : Do you know of a reliable Boston tour operator?.....Thanks for your help !!!:cool:

Archived