Fantasy Refurbishing

rl2thnurse

I am certain I just have not read the info, but is the FANTASY still going to be redone this fall. Also, will the port of NOLA be closed indefinitely. We were planning to book for Nov 15th thinking she would just be back from dry dock (will she even go to dry dock?). Also, we want to spend several days in New Orleans.

Second question, is there still availabilty on the John Heald Bayo Bloggin cruise. That may be another option.

Thanks for your help!

Fantasy goes into drydock at the end of the Sept 1 cruise. It will be in Mobile at the shipyard for 28 days. Your planned date should be several cruises after the refurb. The port of NOLA is open now. Carnival moved the ship to Mobile because of continuing speed restrictions on the river and uncertainty as to future closures while the barge was removed as well as dealing with mandatory, time consuming hull scrubbings due to oil in the river. ( Can you imagine the nasty mess all that oil would make on a white ship?) All should be back to normal by the time you plan to sail.

Sailings through Sept 1 will originate from the port of Mobile. I believe that she will go from Mobile to dry dock for the Evolutions of Fun upgrades and return to service from NOLA on October 4.

There IS still room on our Bayou Bloggin' With John Heald cruise!! Here is our group thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=704958

If you have any questions regarding the Blogger's cruise please feel free to email me!!!

Mach

I am booked on Oct 4th out of NOLA and have been wondering about whether we would be leaving from NOLA or Mobile....I have put off making hotel reservations for obvious reasons. So if you have any information that might be helpful...I need it. I know that I can count on fellow CCers to be on top of things even when CCL reps may not be.

I too am booked on the Oct 4th cruise...didn't know it was the first sailing after refurb. Is this a good or bad thing?

Is it for from NO to Mobile?

We booked the friday night at the Ramada Plaza Inn On Bourbon, since we wanted to experience the french quarter.

I too am booked on the Oct 4th cruise...didn't know it was the first sailing after refurb. Is this a good or bad thing?

Is it for from NO to Mobile?

We booked the friday night at the Ramada Plaza Inn On Bourbon, since we wanted to experience the french quarter.

I have had good luck with ships after a reburb. Everything is nice and new with fresh paint and carpets. 28 days is a long refurb. It is 2 hours from NOLA to Mobile but you should not have to worry about going. The Mississippi River is reopened and traffic is moving. They just have some speed restrictions in place and having to clean the hull before being allowed back into the Gulf of Mexico. Dave

Being onboard after refurb is a good thing...everything is all shiny and working! Plus I think Fantasy is getting the evolutions of fun upgrades...

Mobile is several hours from New Orleans...

Enjoy your cruise on the Fantasy. :)

Thank you so much for your responses. We were so ready to book & this news just about sent me into a tailspin. I thought it would take a lot longer than 28 days to renovate a ship, but I guess Carnival knows how to get things done.

Thank you, Mach, for info on the Bayou Blog Cruise. That might be an option we want to look into. Hubby will be back in town tomorrow & we can discuss. Will that be during Mardi Gras? I don't have a clue; I just know it is some time around Feb.

Thanks again, all!

Thank you so much for your responses. We were so ready to book & this news just about sent me into a tailspin. I thought it would take a lot longer than 28 days to renovate a ship, but I guess Carnival knows how to get things done.

28 days is actually about double the time of a normal dry dock. Usually they only spend 2 weeks in dry dock to change everything and to spruce up the ship.

Like everyone else, Im interested in the announcement about which ship will go out of Mobile, sure hope it isnt Fantasy.

Archived