Motion

yorky

Hi Guys

We have sailed with princess before on the Dawn around the Caribbean. We then had an inside midships. We are about to book again on it's sister ship, again to the Caribbean and again an inside cabin.

Thing is there are only guaranteed cabins left so will will probable be forward or aft although low down as we are going for the cheapest inside. My question is do you feel considerable more movement on the Sun class ships forward or aft in an inside given it's a Caribbean cruise from, and back to Barbados.

Sun class ships are normally good riders - but any ship in heavy seas is subject to motion.

In heavy pitching seas, forward cabins often are adversely affected by bow-slap, and can be noisy in addition to the pitching motion, which may or may not be severe.

Gross generalization of course, but closer to midships and lower down is usually the smoothest ride.

Inside cabins are less subject to the rolling motion (closer to midstroke of a metronome is one analogy I have seen).

If I had only the choice of a far forward cabin or a far aft cabin, I would take aft every time, although there is a risk of machinery noise aft and low.

Like Michael, given a choice between forward and aft, I'd go for aft every time, particularly if I were prone to motion sickness. You'll feel more vibration from the engines but it'll be more stable since (and this is a generalization) the ship will have absorbed at least part of the wave by the time it gets to the aft part of the ship. When you see someone on a speed boat zooming along, you're more likely to see people towards the back of the boat than the front because the back is more stable in the water whereas the front is bouncing up and down in the waves. Not exactly a direct analogy but hopefully something you can visualize to see the difference.

Thanks guys. Until I had a look at the deck plans for the Sun I had not realized how few inside cabins were midship. Obviously the design of the ship means most of the common rooms use that area. I would prefer to be able to pick aft but of course it's in the hands of the Princess gods. I do tend to suffer slightly with motion sickness but put up with it and take medication as I love cruising.

We have been on three of her sisters; Pacific Princess, Oceania's Regatta & Nautica, and thought them to be "good sea boats".

We have been roughly midships, on both decks 6 and 4, and been satisfied.

I have heard complaints re noise & vibrations (anchor chainway & bow thrusters) in the far forward cabins, decks 6 & 7.

I am thinking about booking this ship for the Mediterranean next summer but am troubled by motion. Any thoughts about this particular ship?
I was on deck 4 in 4042 on the Royal last November and loved the location which was pretty much mid-ship, down low, there was little motion, and it was convenient to pretty much everything. You'll feel a lot less motion in this location than you would on one of the larger ships.

Archived