What to wear for vow renewal on Princess

cookingchick

To all of the fashionistas on board here:

DH and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary on the Emerald next April in the Caribbean and are thinking about renewing our vows while on board.

We want to dress formally for the ceremony. That's about all we know for sure. So my questions:

1. Should DH wear a white dinner jacket or his full tux? If he wears full tux, should he go with cummerbund or waistcoast? He has a white pique waistcoat (for his tux with tails) that he could wear and pics that Meaty Petey has posted of that combo looks very sharp but being that we're cruising the Caribbean perhaps a white dinner jacket would be more appropriate. Maybe the white waistcoat would be TOO formal?

2. And what do ladies wear for renewing vows? Should I shop for a white or off-white formal? Actually, off-white is more flattering to my skin tone, but should I even go that route or choose a completely different color since it's not, technically, a "wedding"? And, if another color, would a pastel be the way to go?

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback on this...we love dressing formally so nothing is off limits but this will be our first vow renewal gig so we're not sure what direction to go in. Thanks, y'all.

What time is the renewal--if it's morning or early afternoon, formal might be a bit too much.

You don't have to do either white, off-white or pastel! Whatever looks great on you will be just fine! Like you said, it's not a true wedding--it's a vow renewal!

What time is the renewal--if it's morning or early afternoon, formal might be a bit too much.

You don't have to do either white, off-white or pastel! Whatever looks great on you will be just fine! Like you said, it's not a true wedding--it's a vow renewal!

Judging from what I've read on the Princess board, I think they do the renewals on formal night.

Have your husband wear whatever you think looks fabulous on him because it is your and his night.

For you, I would go out and find the most fabulous dress I could find and wear it and be the princess!

Congrats on your 20th!

If I were you, I'd find the dress I loved, then buy it and wear it, regardless of the expense, regardless of the color :) As for color, get one that suits you and will look good in pictures. You'll want pictures :) Personally, I'd go with a classic style as opposed to anything too trendy, so that your pics don't look "dated" a few years from now. I'm sure we've ALL laughed at blue polyester tuxedos in 1970s wedding pictures.

To all of the fashionistas on board here:

DH and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary on the Emerald next April in the Caribbean and are thinking about renewing our vows while on board.

We want to dress formally for the ceremony. That's about all we know for sure. So my questions:

1. Should DH wear a white dinner jacket or his full tux? If he wears full tux, should he go with cummerbund or waistcoast? He has a white pique waistcoat (for his tux with tails) that he could wear and pics that Meaty Petey has posted of that combo looks very sharp but being that we're cruising the Caribbean perhaps a white dinner jacket would be more appropriate. Maybe the white waistcoat would be TOO formal?

2. And what do ladies wear for renewing vows? Should I shop for a white or off-white formal? Actually, off-white is more flattering to my skin tone, but should I even go that route or choose a completely different color since it's not, technically, a "wedding"? And, if another color, would a pastel be the way to go?

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback on this...we love dressing formally so nothing is off limits but this will be our first vow renewal gig so we're not sure what direction to go in. Thanks, y'all.

I love the idea of your husband wearing his white waistcoat with his black dinner jacket. In my opinion, you can't be too formal in a dinner suit. Make sure he get a hand-tied bow tie (approx. $10-$15), because the difference is visible.

As far as you are concerned, what type of dress do you like to wear? Strapless or with straps? Narrow skirt or a flared one? What type of fabric do you have in mind? Silk chiffon, dupioni, perhaps even lighter-weight taffeta, since it is the Caribbean? Also, how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I love this Amsale silk satin gown, but it might be a bit heavy/dark for the Caribbean and for spring, but you can always look at it:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2090333883&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1213&rvform=true

I like this Nicole Miller dress:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2064397249&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1213&N=1213&Nao=72&Ne=500000&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID

Here is something in ivory:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2976640/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014150?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014150&P=7

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2982507/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014150?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014150&P=8 (looks nicer on than in the pictures)

I also like this one:

http://www.gownsbysimpleelegance.com/gowns/Alyce6929.html?source=googlebase

I love the idea of your husband wearing his white waistcoat with his black dinner jacket. In my opinion, you can't be too formal in a dinner suit. Make sure he get a hand-tied bow tie (approx. $10-$15), because the difference is visible.

As far as you are concerned, what type of dress do you like to wear? Strapless or with straps? Narrow skirt or a flared one? What type of fabric do you have in mind? Silk chiffon, dupioni, perhaps even lighter-weight taffeta, since it is the Caribbean? Also, how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I love this Amsale silk satin gown, but it might be a bit heavy/dark for the Caribbean and for spring, but you can always look at it:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2090333883&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1213&rvform=true

I like this Nicole Miller dress:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2064397249&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1213&N=1213&Nao=72&Ne=500000&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID

Here is something in ivory:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2976640/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014150?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014150&P=7

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2982507/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014150?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014150&P=8 (looks nicer on than in the pictures)

I also like this one:

http://www.gownsbysimpleelegance.com/gowns/Alyce6929.html?source=googlebase

I love all of those gowns...thanks so much for taking the time to post the links! So, you think that ivory or something in that palette would be appropriate? I love the diaphanous nature of the last gown...with spaghetti straps in an ivory with beading I think would look glorious!

As for the hand bow tie...he's got one and we struggle with it every time but manage to get it tied reasonably well...someday I hope to master it! :o

Thanks for your feedback...I've seen some of your formal pictures and appreciate your sense of style.

I love all of those gowns...thanks so much for taking the time to post the links! So, you think that ivory or something in that palette would be appropriate? I love the diaphanous nature of the last gown...with spaghetti straps in an ivory with beading I think would look glorious!

As for the hand bow tie...he's got one and we struggle with it every time but manage to get it tied reasonably well...someday I hope to master it! :o

Thanks for your feedback...I've seen some of your formal pictures and appreciate your sense of style.

Thank you for the compliment. I am glad you liked the gowns. I definitely think an ivory or other pastel shade is appropriate. It's spring and it's the Caribbean - no need to wear dark colours. I am sure you will look radiant.

BTW, there are some great videos on YouTube about tying a bow tie. I am not very good at tie knots in general, but even I was able to learn so I can help out my husband in a pinch.:)

Peresphone .. sigh .. you just have to stop with the irresistible web sites for gowns .. I don't NEED another gown .. but That Simple Elegance site is to die for!!

I remember my son's wedding .. they had hand tied bow ties and I was the only person around that knew how to tie them .. so I had a line of men waiting patiently for Mom to tie the ties .. made a darling picture..

I love that dog pictured in your avatar! Is it your dog?

Thanks! Yes, that's one of our dogs...the other one is in my profile. We rescued them last September and they have been such a joy. We had a 14 year old chocolate lab that we had to have put down and it took us a couple of years to get to the point where we were ready to adopt again.

Thanks, too, for the Youtube tip...it might be easier if I could watch someone else tie the darn thing!

Here are a couple from my 10 year vow renewal.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1287845549035581067NFpIId

If you click next, you will see the back of the dress.

Whatever you wear, have a great time and congratulations!

You look lovely...and very happy. I love the dress...I definitely know now which way to take this thing...everyone on this board is so helpful.

Thanks for the congrats...I feel very blessed.

Peresphone .. sigh .. you just have to stop with the irresistible web sites for gowns .. I don't NEED another gown .. but That Simple Elegance site is to die for!!

I remember my son's wedding .. they had hand tied bow ties and I was the only person around that knew how to tie them .. so I had a line of men waiting patiently for Mom to tie the ties .. made a darling picture..

Can you tell evening gowns are one of my passions?:D

As far as the bow ties are concerned, I think I have to refresh my skills, because I will probably have to tie a few come December when I help the Cotillion gentlemen get ready. For most it will the first time that they are wearing white tie, and I think I should better start internalising YouTube's lessons right now.

Thanks! Yes, that's one of our dogs...the other one is in my profile. We rescued them last September and they have been such a joy. We had a 14 year old chocolate lab that we had to have put down and it took us a couple of years to get to the point where we were ready to adopt again.

Thanks, too, for the Youtube tip...it might be easier if I could watch someone else tie the darn thing!

They are both gorgeous. I love Labrador retrievers. I just finished reading the book "Marley and Me" about the world's worst behaved lab (according to the author), and I cried buckets when I finished it, because they had to put Marley to sleep.

They are both gorgeous. I love Labrador retrievers. I just finished reading the book "Marley and Me" about the world's worst behaved lab (according to the author), and I cried buckets when I finished it, because they had to put Marley to sleep.

I haven't been able to read that book yet because I still miss my old dog so much...:( But maybe soon...I know it's a good one.

When my husband and I renewed our vows for our 25th we were on Princess. They chose the night and it was a formal night. I wore a black dress because that is what I found and loved. My husband wore his tux.

You should wear a dress that makes you feel wonderful no matter what color it is. Princess will give you a orchid nosegay and your husband an orchard corsage. Pictures will be taken during the cermony and the ceremony is quite lovely. Whatever you choose to wear have a great evening.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank you all for your input and share a picture of the dress I ordered today. It's crinkled silk chiffon with silver beads and sequins around the neckline and empire waist. No doubt, it will need hemming but I know a good tailor who can do it right. DH will be in tux with white waistcoat so I think we'll be quite stunning. :rolleyes:

Keep your fingers crossed that it fits!

AdriannaPapell3.jpg.470f97eacea0cb320c876f8de85e8c57.jpg

1873824822_AdriannaPapellBack.jpg.38f0d44d4dee5e6cf730a327205b3c34.jpg

The dress is gorgeous and you will look beautiful! The style will look wonderful with your husband's formal attire with the white waistcoat. Did you find it online?

I hope it looks as good in person! I ordered it online from Nordstrom. It's Adrianna Papell and it was on sale to boot!

Archived