Booking tours ahead or not

boating girl

We usually book tours through private operators instead of buying on ship. I have been reading that the Carib. Princess is having generator issues and am worried about us either being late into ports or missing ports. Do you think we are safe doing our own thing or should be play it safe and pay more and book through Princess? It's not a good feeling knowing our ship will not be at her best.

We're thinking that on the NE itinerary, where the ports are much closer together than the Caribbean itineraries, the CB should be able to keep to the port schedule. We're booking private excursions.

I never book independent tours if I have to pay in advance by credit card. I only book tours that I pay either at the time the tour starts or after tour is over. If you do pay in advance, be sure to find out if they will refund your money if for some reason the ship is late to the port or misses the port entirely and you do not get to take the tour.

FYI -- The times in port for Saint John, New Brunswick on the Caribbean Princess have changed (an hour later for arrival and departure than originally planned), so it is not necessarily true that there will be no changes to times in port. (There was also an unplanned 90-minute delay on a recent sailing due to bad weather.) I think its relatively safe to pre-book, but there is a slight risk, particularly if the tour is too close to ship arrival or departure times.

Tour operators know when a ship will be late. That is why they ask you for the ship name. Keep your cell phone on hand so you can call them. They are used to changes and delays and just go with it. No worries

You always run the risk that a port will be cancelled and that can happen in New England as well. For example, a bad storm (which does happen) can alter a ships course. Or you can be delayed getting into port. So, know the rules up front with the private tour operator.

While there are many benefits to private tours there are three disadvantages. First, is the issue of cancelled excursions due to some of the reasons noted above.

Second, is if you get back to the ship late the ship will not wait for you if you are on a private tour.

And, three, the unknown of using an private tour operator if you have never used them before.

There are of course advantages. And the same goes for the ship's tours as there are advantages and disadvantages of these as well.

Keith

We booked a private tour (reversing rapids) that doesn't charge your card if the call is cancelled and you have 24 hr cx policy. We did ship tours in Boston due to rush hour traffic (if you've been in it in Boston you don't want to try it) and not wanting to use public transport, in Bar Harbor bec. we want to be first off and they offered a great sailing excursion for not much more than the cruise line and in Portland bec. we wanted to do Ducks early so we cold enjoy the Arts Festival which just happens to be there the day of our port call.

IMHO there is no right or wrong.. the "ship will not wait" is very valid if you time the tour too close or in some islands etc. where transport could mess you up or in Europe and places you are completely unfamiliar with but in many ports it's sooo easy to do "on your own" that you can wing it and pick something up when you get there. In Portland there are lots of locals at the dock and things you can pick up there, same with Halifax. St John NB has lots to do on your own but rapids book fast, ships take up some space and the "wild ride" which is what we wanted is of course limited by the tide so only offered certain times..

Archived