Vantage In Trouble?

cp556

Hello All --

I'm reading in some posts that Vantage is "in trouble" and has sold 3 of its newest riverboats.

We're on Dec 2 River Navigator, and the Vantage website still shows it as operating A-OK. Previously, we were to sail aboard River Discovery until we learned here on CC that the riverboat was sold ... and we made Vantage move us to the River Navigator one day earlier. We came out OK because we had early knowledge of the change ... if we'd waited for Vantage to notify us we would not have gotten the River Navigator accommodations we wanted.

What should we be knowing about Vantage at this point? Does anyone have any details on these ship sales? Is River Navigator among them? Selfishly, will our Dec 2 cruise take place as planned?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. If you don't want to discuss this publicly, feel free to email me at cphillips556 at yahoo dot com and put "Cruise Critic" or the like in the subject line.

We'd be most grateful...

Thanks

Carol in SC

We were booked on a river Discovery cruise in October which was cancelled. They offered to move us to a cruise the day before our original date and this too was cancelled. If you go on the Vantage site you will see only TWO river boats remaining, the Explorer and the Odyssey. Where have all the others gone???

If I were you I would be ready with alternative plans as this does not look good.:mad:

Sales for European tours are down across the board for all companies due to the falling dollar. Perhaps they merely took the ship out of service and may have chartered it out to another company during this down time?

EDIT: And now seeing another post here after I posted this, it looks like that is indeed what happened.

CP556 - I know you must be apprehensive but we have been notified (after asking) that Navigator will indeed complete its 2008 schedule. Since ours is sold-out, they'd be crazy not to run it! We are scheduled for the Wine & Cuisine cruise in November.

While the dollar has been tanking, it has steadied somewhat lately. I think it is more about our economy tanking than the Euro. Too bad about Discovery. We took it last year and the cruise was terrific. Our Navigator cruise will end just about a week or so before yours begins so there probably won't be time for me to get in a review, but I will try!

So, chill out, & look forward to your trip as we are!

Cheers

While the dollar has been tanking, it has steadied somewhat lately. I think it is more about our economy tanking than the Euro.

It's a combination of both. The U.S. economy is tight so fewer people are traveling or booking less expensive trips/trips closer to home, and because the dollar has fallen against the Euro it not only makes Europe less desirable for U.S. travelers (things are now more expensive) but U.S. based companies like Vantage would have increased costs associated with European trips which means a smaller profit margin.

Yes, you are right. Actually the Euro is at the same rate as November last year when we river cruised with Vantage. The difference is our 8 year decline of the economy. Hopefully that big mistake will correct itself soon. :rolleyes:

Yes, you are right. Actually the Euro is at the same rate as November last year when we river cruised with Vantage. The difference is our 8 year decline of the economy. Hopefully that big mistake will correct itself soon. :rolleyes:

The dollar has fallen since last summer though. The current rate is 1 dollar = .67 Euro. Last August when I cruised Europe it was 1 dollar = .73 Euro.

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Europe, and will be on the River Discovery for the cruise from Budapest to the Black Sea starting the 28th. We had also arranged for a private 2-day tour from Bucharest to Brasov and back w/a gentleman that we have since found out is the cruise director on that trip. Hopefully we will learn something about the situation w/Vantage and I can report back after our return on 9-10.

Wow! Great! Have a wonderful trip! The Discovery is a super boat., the crew is magnificent, food wonderful! In the dining room, if you see a waiter named Ejis ask him to "sing me a song, piano man".

Have a wonderful time!

Archived