What to Do in Malaga, Spain

We had an afternoon stop in Malaga two years ago. We took the shuttle bus to the end of the dock area and walked into town. We went straight to the Picasso Museum. This is a superb little museum with paintings etc that are all owned by the Picasso family. It is also a very nice place! We spent about 2 hours there, and then walked through the old town to the market hall. This was in the process of closing for the day but we wanted to see the architecture, which is very interesting. We then went back to the ship. Malaga is a nice town and quite compact.

In May next year we have a whole day in Malaga and plan to join a tour organised by the ship (Regent Seven Seas Navigator) to Granada for the day.

It's a beautiful town, large pedestrianized area, Very long shore line promenade walk, an Alahambra that you can climb up for further ocean views- we spent 3 days there. Granada is also wonderful but surprisingly colder, we didn't realize how much higher in elevation. Both are fantastic. Granada probably involves a fair amount of travel time (I'm just guessing but maybe 3+ hours each way), we visited it from Cordoba so I'm just estimating.

you can also visit Nerja caves (google for pictures, they are amazing!!!), it's about an hour away by bus or you can take an excursion.

We are going to try going ourselves on our upcoming cruise.

if you're interested in Picasso, there should be quite a bit of history about him in Malaga, since he was born there

On our stop in Malaga, we did an excursion to the Alhambra palace in Granada. Yes it was a drive - it's about 140 km, and I believe it took us about 2 hours each way by bus - but it was TOTALLY worth it! The Alhambra is just an amazing sight, and was one of the highlights of our cruise. It's an elaborate Moorish palace and fortress, with spectacular Islamic architecture and stunning gardens, and a fascinating history.

If you do this, definitely do it as an excursion - either a ship excursion or with a private tour company. The reason for this is that there are always long lines to get into the Alhambra, and with a tour group you will go right past the lines. Plus you'll have a guide inside, which we found to be extremely helpful and educational.

We did it as a ship excursion rather than booking a private tour, primarily because it was such a long distance from the port, and if any kind of problem arose in getting back to the port on time, with a ship excursion you have the benefit of knowing they'll hold the ship for you. But there are several private tour companies in the area as well.

you can also visit Nerja caves (google for pictures, they are amazing!!!), it's about an hour away by bus or you can take an excursion.

MissChievousMouse--How soon are you going and would you please post your info on your own? We will be in Malaga for a day in Nov and plan on taking the public bus to Nerja for the day and walking a bit to enjoy the scenery. I think I have the info to do it but more info is always appreciated. Thanks.

Mustgo

if you're interested in Picasso, there should be quite a bit of history about him in Malaga, since he was born there

Hello MissChievousMouse -

How do you get to Nerja? Is it easy to get there on your own?

Thanks!

Thanks for all your replys, I am in Malaga now; I'm on my laptop asking these questions. I will head downtown tomorrow and check out the sights.

Hello AF-1,

What did you wind up doing in Malaga? Hope you had a great time.

Archived