Restaurants - Budapest and Prague

cruiseph

When we were in Budapest a few years ago, we enjoyed the Karpatia on Ferenciek tere 7-8 ~ H-1053 Budapest. If you go to the south end of the pedestrian street, cross the steet that leads to Elizabeth Bridge (Szabad Sajto?), turn left the almost an immediate right down about one block.

Their web site is http://www.karpatia.hu

In Prague, the Restaurant Mucha, Melantrichova 5 right in the clock square was fun with menus in English. Cafe Europa in the new town in Venceslaus Square was OK food BUT beautiful Art Nouveau interior.

Their web site is http://www.evropahotel.cz

Have a great trip.

Don

:) We also would recommend the Imperial Hotel Restaurant in Prague. The food is good and the atmosphere very charming done in art deco style (as is the whole hotel).

We also had a very enjoyable meal at Dvur Restaurant, which is on the opposite side of the street from the hotel and down about 2-3 blocks (going away from Old Town). They serve authentic food at reasonable prices. It's fairly small but a lot of fun! It was recommended by our local tour guide.

We had a good lunch at an Italian place that is just off the main street from Powder gate to Old Town Square. It has an outdoor eating area (or you can eat inside), and is in the area behind the Church of Our Lady Before Tyne. Sorry that I don't remember the name

We are on the Amacello leaving the US on Sept. 9, 2008 arriving in Prague on the 10th. Staying at the Hilton. What's your trip departure date?

We arrive in Budapest on September 11, 2008 - we are on the Amalegro - enjoy your trip

We stayed in Prague at the Hilton last summer. Their breakfast buffet was wonderful. We had a wonderful Chezk meal just across from the near metro station. It is called U CesckLova. Go out of the lobby turn left and walk on block, turn left again. It will be on your left downstairs. Don't go into the beer garden--food not good. We also had lunch at Giovanni's--very extensive pizza menu. We ordered one to share and it came divided on 2 plates, really good. This is just off the main square not far from the clock. I remember there was a money exchange place on the corner. We also had an excellent dinner at Pivnice U Pivrnce. It is in the Jewish sector--another good meal--cartoons on the wall a bit crude, but c'est la vie. Up above the castle there is a brewery called St. Norbert--good lunch. There are so many restaurants in Prague. Enjoy. Pat

On our second cruise out of Budapest last October (arrived a few days early) we enjoyed Spoon which floats on the Danube. We also liked Central Cellar on Vaci Utca (don't be fooled by the small street entry - it is a huge, well lit, brick walled eatery with great food at reasonable prices). I had a nice steak that was dwarfed by an even bigger piece of foie gras.

You will also find most restaurants in central Prague down a long spiral staircase - these were on street level 800 years ago.

We very much liked the lunch provided with the Puszta horsemanship show (great goulash), and one memorable favorite was the pork tenderloin medallions in a savory paprika stew with crusty local bread at a bar a block off the main tourist street. After two pints of Gossser each our bill was the equivalent of $15US. It is hard to get a bad meal in Hungary.

Here is the link to my review of our last cruise out of Budapest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645975

WIT

We cruised on the Avalon Artistry May 30 - June 8, 2008. We visited Prague before the cruise. Prague has some great restaurants! You will not go hungry. Strongly recommend Angel (V Kolkovne 7, Tel. 773-222-422). The chef is British and the menu has an Asian influence. We also had dinner at Hergetova Cihelna, (Cihelna 2b, Tel. 296-826-103). We sat outside on the terrace and had a wonderful view of Charles Bridge. It is part of the Kampa Park group. Both Angel and Hergetova Cihelna can be booked online. For lunch we had a very good (and large meal) at Kolkovna (Celnici 4) which is just around the corner from the Hilton Old Town. They have great Czech food and the prices are very reasonable. One place we did not get to because as we decided to visit Karlovy Vary for the day is Pravda, (Parizska 17, Tel. 222-326-203). We passed it on the street. Very stylish all white interior and outside terrace. We also stayed at the Hilton Old Town and as meals were not included we ate at Yessi for Breakfast which is directly across the street near the Marriott.

In Budapest we also had some great meals. We had lunch at both Goa (Andrassy st) and Kor (right across the park from the Kempinski). Both were excellent. I think I may have liked Kor better. Only cash at Kor as they do not accept credit cards. For dinner in Budapest we ate at Baraka (Andrassy st) which was pricey but worth it. My mother ordered a red wine that was so full bodied that even the waiter suggested against it but it was superb. Two places that I would skip are Central Cafe and Mokka. Both are listed on the AMEX Concierge list. Mokka was terrible. Central Cafe was just ok would not go back.

We also stayed at the Kempinski in Budapest. The hotel is lovely and well located. It was a treat to end out cruise there. Make sure you stop at Gerbeaud for a snack and check out the inside which is very decorative.

Thank you so much for the name of the restaurant in the Jewish sector with the "crude" cartoons. We had a very delicious (and very reasonably priced) dinner there, but I had forgotten to write down the name which I wanted to include in my trip diary. The cartoons were a conversation piece with all of us who stumbled upon this restaurant. Just an unexpected experience in a wonderful, friendly city.

L.L.

We’ll be on the September 11 USA departure date tour on the Amadeus Amalegro from Budapest to Prague so we’re probably on the same tour. I’m copying and printing all the wonderful suggestions from Cruise Critic posters and really appreciate them. (Wit, I wish you knew the name of the place where you ate the great pork medallions).

We’re arriving two days early (dep. 9-9-08, arr. 9-10-08) and will stay 2 days over in Prague. We’ll get to enjoy many of the suggested eating spots. I can hardly wait!

(Is Central Cellar (Kavehaz?) the same as Central Café in Budapest?)

Thanks to all for your help,

Jean

We’ll be on the September 11 USA departure date tour on the Amadeus Amalegro from Budapest to Prague so we’re probably on the same tour. I’m copying and printing all the wonderful suggestions from Cruise Critic posters and really appreciate them. (Wit, I wish you knew the name of the place where you ate the great pork medallions).

We’re arriving two days early (dep. 9-9-08, arr. 9-10-08) and will stay 2 days over in Prague. We’ll get to enjoy many of the suggested eating spots. I can hardly wait!

(Is Central Cellar (Kavehaz?) the same as Central Café in Budapest?)

Thanks to all for your help,

Jean

Jean - Central Cafe (Kavehaz) is located South on the Pest side, past Erzsebet Hid (bridge) on Karolyi Mihaly Utca (street). Here is their url:

http://www.centralkavehaz.hu/index.php?mid=1&LangID=2

The place I suggested is Central Cellar, on the East side of Vaci Utca, the tourist oriented pedestrian-only street a few blocks off the river. Worth the descent on their spiral staircase.

I don't recall the name of the establishment that served the pork medallions, but if you head South on Vaci Utca - it starts right after Vorosmarty Ter (park), the second intersecting street is Regi Posti. Turn right onto Regi Posti & proceed about 1 1/2 blocks. You will see a yellow Gosser sign on the right. Go in and enjoy. PS - the medallions were the daily special, please let me know what you had.

WIT

Thanks WIT. We’ll be sure to check out your suggestions and hope the place will have the medallions on special the day we go. I think we’ll be able to deal with Budapest better than Prague. I’m working through some of the websites for places in Prague (the ones with English menus online) and find this one entrancing:

http://www.kolkovna.cz/index.php?show=menu&place=11

I guess we’ll pass on the Slaughter Plate and some of the others. Although the grandmother cabbage krackles sound like fun. Kolkovna was listed by our Prague Private Guide as a good choice. We’ll see.

You need to come along and help us navigate the menus and the metro.

Again thanks,

Jean

Thanks WIT. We’ll be sure to check out your suggestions and hope the place will have the medallions on special the day we go. I think we’ll be able to deal with Budapest better than Prague. I’m working through some of the websites for places in Prague (the ones with English menus online) and find this one entrancing:

http://www.kolkovna.cz/index.php?show=menu&place=11

I guess we’ll pass on the Slaughter Plate and some of the others. Although the grandmother cabbage krackles sound like fun. Kolkovna was listed by our Prague Private Guide as a good choice. We’ll see.

You need to come along and help us navigate the menus and the metro.

Again thanks,

Jean

Thanks for the link, Jean. Kolkovna looks like a great Czech restaurant. I would select the goose liver, the goulash soup, and the roasted duck (can't get enough). The Old Czech Kolkovna platter also is interesting. The Slaughter Plate is actually a mild tasting sausage I had as a kid (Polish heritage).

Did you read my description of the Budapest Metro? Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645975

WIT

Thanks all again,

WIT,

As a birder I’m seriously looking at the Moravian Sparrow plate at Kolkovna. Probably not endangered. I see Steph27 enjoyed a meal there and said to skip Central Café in Budapest. We need to stay a month to get to all these great places.

I did have your post on the Budapest metro but need info about Prague metro.

Jean

Jean,

I don't know if you came across Brewsta's reviews from http://czechoutchannel.blogspot.com/

He is an expatriate living in Prague and has great restaurant reviews on czechoutchannel which he updates often. You can read his posts on the Prague forum on www.tripadvisor.com. Czechoutchannel has photos of the food too as well as URL's.

The food at Kolkovna is wonderful. Huge portions! I had the half roasted duck which came with white and red cabbaage, potatos and dumplings. Yum!! Have a great time on your cruise!

-Steph

Not a restaurant, but don't miss the Gerbeaud pastry cafe. www.gerbeaud.hu I think your hotel is close. The pastries are outstanding. There is also a beer cafe on the lower level. I think their own beer is brewed there. Gerbeaud's is located by a small plaza which includes the initial stop for the central underground line. This line will take you to The State Opera House and, traveling on, to Hero's Square for the restaurant mentioned above and a very nice museum.

Another cafe, one of the most beautiful, is the New York. We were there in 1991, and were amazed at it's beauty. It was later closed, but then the large building housing it went through a major renovation to become the New York Palace Hotel, so, as I understand, it is now open again.

A final, off topic, bit. The State Opera presents first class performances. Tickets have been incredibly inexpensive, so buy now, if possible. The web site is easy to find. The building is beautiful. and the production we saw, Don Carlos, was good.

Finally, watch the taxies. The drivers are very good at cheating.

Bob :cool:

The links to Brewsta’s posts on both sites were great. They are good sources for information.

We’re expecting to get to Gerbeaud’s but I think I’ll not order a beer with my pastry (kidding).

I suspect we’ll be in search of salad, yogurt and veggies by the end of this trip!

Helpful tips from all,

Jean

Jean, Gerbeuds is a full service restaurant, pub and cafe. You will not have any problem getting a wonderful lunch a well as the greatest sweets and coffee. Enjoy!:)

The street level is a great place to enjoy an espresso & something sweet while watching the Metro deliver people to Vorosmarty Ter (park).

We enjoyed some goose liver terrine at the restaurant below. They supply a third shaker on each table, for paprika. Here's a photo:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski/BudapestIstanbul1007/photo#5134205827352373506

WIT

Jean, Gerbeuds is a full service restaurant, pub and cafe. You will not have any problem getting a wonderful lunch a well as the greatest sweets and coffee. Enjoy!:)

After I looked more fully at the web site I posted I see that there is the Onyx Restaurant. This opened in 2007, according to the site. (We were last there in 2005.) The food is probably exceptional, as it should be at their prices. I used the current exchange rate, as in The Wall Street Journal, of 157 Hungarian forints per dollar to look at prices. It will be a bit more in dollars at any actual exchange rate.

I also saw the pub menu, which is not so pricey.

After all this discussion about the river cruise, I am ready to look again at another one for us. It will have to wait, however, until we finish our next Transatlantic in December.

Bob :rolleyes:

For those staying at the Hilton Old Town Prague: I stayed there 3 summers ago, when it was the Renaissance. It is a nice hotel in a good location. It's at the periphery of Old Town, but don't worry. It's a short walk to the Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge. It's big with the tour and cruise trade. There was no issue with being out there late at night - I think one night we didn't start the walk back to the hotel until Midnight.

For a dinner spot: we wandered the Old Town Square area. Sure, it's a tourist trap. But, it was so nice outside that we just decided to pick one of the patios and eat. I believe it was the one at the Hotel U Prince. it was right across from the Astronomical Clock. The reason I picked it was that it has the nicest looking cushions on the chairs :-) It had a huge menu - I can't imagine anyone not finding something to eat from it. The prices seemed actually reasonable for a tourist place. I had the duck with red cabbage and dumpling - I grew up on sauerkraut and dumplings, and I love duck, so I was in heaven.

Archived