Mariner & motion sickness

We were on Mariner for 20 days crossing the Pacific last Dec. and didn't experience any problem.

Ginger is good and ships often provide it near the dining room. We also find that over-the-counter Bonine works well. Generic name is meclizine - spelling could be wrong. Check with your doctor for his or her suggestion.

Have a wonderful and healthy cruise.

Pleasespammenow:

On the Mariner in Alaska (well, actually Campbell River, B.C.) now (unfortunately, tomorrow we get off:mad: ). The first two days of our journey were very rough - and I did get sick, boy did I get sick! I think I was angrier about missing the sushi than the weather though. They do have ginger (outside the Compass Rose) and Bonine ($6.99 in La Boutique) on the ship..thank goodnes. Nothing usually makes me motion sick - but I was green around the gills!

Before I would buy bonine or generic at the gift shop/boutique- I would

go to the purser's desk/reception and ask if they have any- I have never had to ask for it on RSSC but I know on RCI, etc- that they usually have free stuff at the desk.

Many seasick preventatives have to be taken BEFORE you board the ship for the best result.

The ideal cabin to avoid excess motion is low and amidships. Cabins on higher decks and/or more forward or more aft tend to be subject to the most motion.

We were on the Mariner Aug 6-13. It was a bit rough the last couple of days (just before TheWayward Traveler embarked, so I'm not surprised). We were in an aft cabin. The first day, our kids and my husband were a bit queasy (it wasn't very rough, but my kids are somewhat prone to motion sickness), so they each had one dose of dramamine and all were fine. After that, we had no problems at all, even on the last 1.5 days that were comparatively rough.

Once you're in the Inside Passage, seas are normally very calm. We were out of the passage not long after leaving Skagway, and in the more open seas there was more motion.

You can encounter rough waters on ANY cruise just as you can encounter turbulance in the air. While there are some itineraries when the chances of turbulance are higher, e.g. an ocean crossing or a cruise in the Antarctic, it is a good practice to be prepared every time you cruise. We prefer pills to patches. Pills get into and out of your system faster. In most instances, the ship's bridge will alert you to impending rough waters in time to ingest your pills. Patches work well too, but it takes much more time for a patch to take effect and longer for the effect to diminish. We have cruised Alaska twice. We experienced rough waters on both cruises but only for relatively short periods of time (e.g. five or six hours once or twice during the cruise). Where possible, the Alaska cruise ships are routed through "protected" passages where the likelihood of turbulence in substantially reduced. So come prepared and don't worry about turbulence. Alaska is one of the world's most popular cruising destinations. Tens of thousands enjoy the experience every year. You will too!

I go out on a 200 foot ship for work sometimes and have found the best thing is Bonine. For me, rough pitching seas are fine. It is the slow rolling back and forth that gets to me, which happens in low to moderate sea states. If, as you say, you get sick in the back of a car, I'd be inclined to be on Bonine the entire trip. It does not make you drowsy. Maybe a little dry mouth, but nothing bad.

I suggest you get some and take one a few weeks before the cruise and see how it affects you. If you have no problem, then stay on it the entire cruise.

We have been on decks 11, 10 and 9 on the Mariner. Most recently on deck 10 (January 08) and we went around Cape Horn. (!) The seas were rough, but not too much so, and we had a great time. That said, for seasickness try "seabands". These work on acupuncture points on your wrists. I would imagine you can get them in the US. I got mine in the UK at Boots. Whenever I think I am likely to get motion sickness I put them on and the feelings go. Whether it is entirely psychological, or whether they are actually working on the pressure point, I know not - neither do I care, because I feel "normal" again.

At Cape Horn we were warned that there were 110km hour winds blowing and that the seas would be rough - and that if they were too rough, we would not go round. Luckily the wind dropped a bit, but there was a fair amount of rocking and rolling for a bit. There was a little breakage near the Observation lounge - a glass display case fell over. But that was all. We had a great time!

Here is another one to check out.

Enjoy the Ride with Scopace!

Motion Sickness disrupt your travel? When you seek relief from motion sickness, doctors can prescribe SCOPACE for travel comfort.

Do not let the discomfort of motion sickness disrupt your travel plans. Motion sickness can be prevented. Herbal remedies and over-the-counter products can help treat mild discomfort; however, prescription strength medicine may be needed by persons who tend to develop nausea and vomiting. Scopolamine, the active ingredient in the prescription medicine SCOPACE, was rated the "single most effective drug in preventing nausea and vomiting induced by motion" by the American Hospital Formulary Service in its reference textbook, AHFS Drug Information.

Even the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends Scopolamine for the prevention of motion sickness! Read the CDC's recommendation for travelers.

Fears of rough seas, turbulent flights, and bumpy drives are frequently cited by persons hesitant to travel. Low dose SCOPACE provides travel comfort while minimizing possible side effects.

The typical dose is 1-2 tablets taken an hour before travel. For prompt absorption and action, the dose should be taken on an empty stomach. Each dose comforts for up to 8 hours.

There are several important differences between SCOPACE tablets and the scopolamine patch. The patch provides a fixed dose. One fixed dose may not be appropriate for all patients. In contrast, you can easily titrate the SCOPACE dose to adjust for each person's weight and individual needs.

In a study conducted for NASA comparing oral and topical scopolamine, the patch was found to be one-half as effective as oral tablets in preventing motion sickness.

SCOPACE dissolves within minutes for quick absorption and onset of effect. In contrast, effective drug concentration is not achieved until some 6-8 hours after the patch is applied.

OTC drugs and Rx medicines have predictable benefits, but they also have potential side effects. For example, one side effect of SCOPACE is a temporary reduction of salivation causing relative dryness in the mouth. This can be remedied by drinking plenty of fluids. To minimize the risk of side effects, you should take as few tablets as is necessary. Your doctor or pharmacist can help recommend a low dose that best meets your needs.

As a prescription medicine, SCOPACE is covered under many healthcare and pharmacy insurance plans.

Rough seas, turbulent flights, and bumpy drives need not disturb your travel plans. Prevent motion sickness with SCOPACE and enjoy the ride.

Please share the Prescribing Information with your doctor to discuss whether SCOPACE may be beneficial.

I find that Bonine (Bonamine here in Canada) is easy to take.

I too am very susceptible to motion sickness of all kinds. The first time I went on a cruise (the Paul Gauguin), I did what I was told and popped a pill several hours before. Then I winged it, but took another one a few days later when we hit a storm. I always have it with me, but after 7 cruises, over 60 days, I have only used it one other time, and again it was insurance.

I like this treatment because it doesn't seem to have any untoward side effects, and it OTC.

So take several remedies, take them before you think you need them, and you'll be fine.

A lower-deck cabin would have been good--any chance of switching?

The "electronic" wrist band continues to work for us. . . (though not too attractive to wear:-) We can put it on after we feel queasy -- it works in about 5 minutes. Generally we wear it before we think we will need it. Most online travel stores have it -- cost is around $125.00 (U.S.)

I find that Bonine (Bonamine here in Canada) is easy to take.

I too am very susceptible to motion sickness of all kinds. The first time I went on a cruise (the Paul Gauguin), I did what I was told and popped a pill several hours before. Then I winged it, but took another one a few days later when we hit a storm. I always have it with me, but after 7 cruises, over 60 days, I have only used it one other time, and again it was insurance.

I like this treatment because it doesn't seem to have any untoward side effects, and it OTC.

So take several remedies, take them before you think you need them, and you'll be fine.

A lower-deck cabin would have been good--any chance of switching?

Well, can't really switch, as we wanted a certain type of suite in a certain place away from certain things.

I'm loving everyone's suggestions, though, please keep them coming!

Whatever medication you decide to use, you should try it at home first, to be sure that there are no untoward effects. This is particularly true for any of the scopalomine preparations; they tend to be more long-acting. Patches can be cut in half for less of a dose.

I know exactly what you mean, I get motion sickness even easier than you, watching movies like Master & Commander, looking down while car is moving even in front seat, etc!! We went on our first big ship cruise April 2008 on the Mariner to the Eastern Mediterranean and I was very worried about the potential for getting motion sickness, I didn't want it to spoil our trip!!

I went very prepared with all kinds of things to prevent motion sickness including prescription & over the counter items. I took Scopalamine patches, Scopace, Bonine, ginger tablets, and the electronic wrist band so I would have several choices just in case something didn't work for me!!

It is recomended to put the patch on I think at least 8 hours before traveling, so I put it on at nite before I went to bed the day before we were to board the ship, it worked well for me!! People talk about cutting the patch in half although the instructions warn not to do this, cuz you won't get the same dose in both halves!! I didn't have any side effects from the patch and I am very sensitive to medications!

I actually did very well (no sea sickness) until our last full day at sea on the ship, we had rough seas and alot of people were having difficulty! For me it was exacerbated by having to pack our suitcases (looking down) because you have to have your luggage outside your cabin door by 11p.m the nite before leaving the ship! If I would have known this, I would have packed 1 day earlier and wouldn't have had a problem.

When you wear the patch, it needs to be changed I think it's every 3 days. I had taken off my last patch and decided not to put another one on cuz I was doing fine and we were finishing up our cruise. A friend of ours had some sea sickness the evening before and got something from the front desk that helped him so I did the same, they gave me two pills that you take so many hours apart, and they actually made me sleepy and when I woke up I was feeling much better! As long as I wasn't looking down I seemed to be fine and in a few hours the seas calmed down!

The ginger tablets didn't seem to do much for a little queasy stomach I had a few times during our cruise, but some people swear by them. And as mentioned before, in the dining rooms by the entrances, they have the candied ginger for uneasy stomachs, which is nice!

I would recommend taking a few different things with you just in case you have a problem, maybe not as many as I did, but I was happy I had my bag of trix with me!

Have a fabulous cruise!!

This is extremely helpful!

It totally makes sense to bring along a variety of things just in case. I too get sick looking down in cars, etc., so I will heed your advice - especially the part about packing earlier when I'm feeling fine :-)

I'm curious - have you used any of these methods in a helicopter, and if so, what worked?

Thanks again!

Archived