Best time to purchase a cruise?

Everyone,

My wife and I are planning to take a cruise in late February or early March 2005. When is the best time to purchase our cabin for sailing in that time period? Are prices likely to drop or do the lines tend to run specials during the holidays. (I know that there are some “last minute" deals, but my schedule is not that flexible.)

The lines that we are looking at are: HAL, RCCL and Celebrity. I am looking at cabins with balconies / verandas. (Not sure if this would make any difference.)

Any and all advice is appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Late Feb and the middle of March till the end are school breaks. Feb vacation is when we are sailing and our cruise (Princess) is full. Also these breaks in Feb and March, the price is higher just like in the summer months. We booked our 9 months ago. So, I would think your best bet is to try for the first week in May. I think you would find some good deals out there and I would book now. Book with a TA that watches the prices in case of a drop. You would get $$ back or a upgrade. We have only cruised Celebrity and liked it very much but are trying Princess this time around.

My experience, is that the lower priced and highest priced cabins tend to book up first. Unless you are willing to take the risk and book at the last minute, I would suggest booking sooner rather than later. I would start the process now.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are right about booking early. I always tended to think that you could get a better deal if you book last minute, but I'm finding that's not always the case. It is much better to book early. This way you get what you want, but still have some time to change your mind or transfer your deposit to another cruise if something better comes up.

~elli

The earlier the better, in fact if you can book 12 months out you should do it. Cruising is way up this year and the booking window is much further out. Fewer last minute deals. 3-6 Months in advance for normal travel dates. If your travel date falls during a popular holiday or seasonal date book at least 6 months in advance.

Plus when you book early, you can take advantage of multiple payments making it easier to save for a better cruise package.

• 1 month later...
We tried to book a balcony cabin for January 2005 on PRincess about 4 months ahead and they were all filled up. So if you need to go a certain time or want a certain cabin, you better go early.
I agree because I debated and ended up paying an extra 50 per person for Oct 2005 I finally booked in Nov. 2004 and now they don't even have any balcony rooms left and its not until the end of Oct.

Archived