Things I learned at a Princess seminar

hc00010

Oh, thank you Princess for the lemonade:p Not a soda or iced tea drinker the water was getting a little lame:)

I drink tons of water every day and have found something great to get rid of the boredom. Try True Lemon, True Lime and True Orange. They come 32 packets to a box and in a shaker can(but I have yet to find that one). I use one or two packets per bottle of water, depending on how much flavor I want. It's crystalized juice...no calories, no artificial sweeteners and it tastes great. I prefer the orange but it's harder to find. So far, I've only found it in Whole Foods for twice the price of the others in my local Shop-Rite. It's small enough to stick in your purse too. It makes drinking water much easier.:)

The Pacific is a great ship; you get from here to there in 2 seconds. The owner's suite is great too, especially having the extra 1/2 bath. We've spent lots of days on that ship are due on her again in March for 28 days. We've sort of been ultra loyal to Princess for quite some time, though every now and then we give another cruise line some business.

Pia

We certainly look forward to it........and will be asking you and others for those "newbie" questions that are sure to come up.:)

New menus are being implemented with over 300 new recipes and they are in place on the Emerald, Crown, Royal, Caribbean, and Grand. By the end of this year, they will be in place on the Coral, Island, Star, Golden, and Ruby. By the end of '09, they will be in place on the Diamond, Sapphire, Sea, Tahitian, and Pacific.

There is a new Sabatini's menu on the Emerald, Crown, Royal, Grand, Diamond, and Sapphire. It will be in place by the end of this year on the Ruby, Star, and Caribbean. By the end of '09, it will be in place on the Golden, Coral, Island, Pacific, Tahitian, and Sea. There are also menu upgrades in places at Sterling's Steakhouse.

Chef's Table ($75.00 per person, includes wine and champagne, and cookbook worth $38.00) is now available on the Emerald, Crown, Caribbean, Star, Dawn, Sea, and Grand. By the end of 2008, it will be on the Golden and Ruby. By the end of '09, it will be on the Diamond, Sapphire, Island, Coral, Pacific, Tahitian, and Royal.

Coming throughout 2009, lemonade and waffle stations in buffet, evening canapes in various places (free), chilled face clothes, misting stewards, and free hot chocolate and buoillon on deck in Alaska.

Live entertainment in the Piazza.

More destination specific entertainment (folkloric shows, etc.)

New TV stations with ESPN, Sportscenter, and BBC World.

Fitness at sea with "Gillian Clark" pipied in to TV in cabin to work out in cabin.

Yoga for kids "Karma Kids". Also guest entertainers just for kids.

Launch of WIFI (for fee) to all staterooms.

On all Caribbean, Mexico, Panama Canal, and Hawaii cruises a golf pro will be on board. Nike club rentals and purchases. Golf simulators.

Just a few of the many interesting and exciting things coming up!

We'll be on the Star Princess imediately after drydock in October, so we're hoping to be the beneficiaries of some of these changes. Any predictions on the possibilities?

Thanks for the updates, some exciting changes to look forward to.

I am sailing on Sun Princess January 09, there was no mention of any changes to her in your post. Do you know if any of the improvements will take place on the Sun?

Many thanks for your help.

When the Star Princess goes into dry dock in San Francisco in Sept., she will be almost completely gutted and made to look like the Crown. Even the cabin "pods" will be pulled out and redone. I would imagine that most of the updates would be in place upon completion. You'll be enjoying a brand new ship in October!

When the Star Princess goes into dry dock in San Francisco in Sept., she will be almost completely gutted and made to look like the Crown. Even the cabin "pods" will be pulled out and redone. I would imagine that most of the updates would be in place upon completion. You'll be enjoying a brand new ship in October!

That increases the anticipation. We're really looking forward to our first Princess cruise!

Now I am really getting excited about the changes as I board the Star on oct. 21(the 2nd cruise after the drydock). Yippee.

Marilyn

Mrs2cats - my fiance and I are vegetarians as well. We noticed in the Horizon Court once with the potato salad that there were bacon bits in it...I'm kinda used to just being careful to be sure that there isn't meat in dishes when I'm eating in restaurants and such since I've had to do this for my whole life (I was raised as a vegetarian). We found that for the most part, there were always plenty of vegetarian options, especially in the dining room. We've always been super happy with Princess menus so hopefully the new menus still have plenty of if vegetarian options!

Does anyone know if the Crown uses a lot of Salt in their food? I have to watch my sodium and I am trying to decide if I can watch it on my own own or if I will need to request a low sodium diet. :o

Does anyone know if the Crown uses a lot of Salt in their food? I have to watch my sodium and I am trying to decide if I can watch it on my own own or if I will need to request a low sodium diet. :o

There is a lot of sodium in the sauces mainly, also many meats are cured with large amounts of salt. This is on all Princess ships (not just the Crown), and other cruise lines also. You can do one of two things, request your items without the sauce or request low sodium meals. If you are really being careful about sodium intake, I would defintely request the later, low sodium diet food items.

I hope they can get all of that done in 2 weeks :D Other than adding the new suites without the balconies, what are they going to do to the cabin "pods'? I guess we'll find out on 10/11!

There is a lot of sodium in the sauces mainly, also many meats are cured with large amounts of salt. This is on all Princess ships (not just the Crown), and other cruise lines also. You can do one of two things, request your items without the sauce or request low sodium meals. If you are really being careful about sodium intake, I would defintely request the later, low sodium diet food items.

I totally agree about the salt content. I like some salt but some of their meals are greatly over salted.

I totally agree about the salt content. I like some salt but some of their meals are greatly over salted.

Especially the French Onion Soup, one of my favorites. I usually end up just eating the cheese off the top and a tiny bit of the soup.

Hi all --

Pia -- interesting you mention the onion soup. One of my most favorite foods. A few yrs ago I noticed the soup was getting rather salty. Chalked it up to old guy (me) having taste problems but quit getting the soup anyway.

Eventually found other table mates also having problems with the salt content. Dont understand why it was ok to serve yrs. ago with less salt and now it is prepared with enough salt to rid a city block of snow and ice.

ok -- I'll quit crabbing --

Earl

I'm hoping they'll also serve the hot chocolate while in Antarctica... though with the restrictions about food on deck in Antarctic waters, maybe not :(

VERY happy about the lemonade and waffles and Chef's Table on the Star!

Hi all --

Pia -- interesting you mention the onion soup. One of my most favorite foods. A few yrs ago I noticed the soup was getting rather salty. Chalked it up to old guy (me) having taste problems but quit getting the soup anyway.

Eventually found other table mates also having problems with the salt content. Dont understand why it was ok to serve yrs. ago with less salt and now it is prepared with enough salt to rid a city block of snow and ice.

ok -- I'll quit crabbing --

Earl

Ok guess I will request the low sodium diet then. I do not want to ruin my first cruise by being swollen and miserable :( Thank you all for your help!:)

Ok guess I will request the low sodium diet then. I do not want to ruin my first cruise by being swollen and miserable :( Thank you all for your help!:)

On this (and any other dietary requests), be sure to check in with the matre'd or headwaiter the first night. He/she will make sure that your needs are met.

Telling your wiater or assistant waiter is not enough. Every Princess menu expains that you need to speak with the matre'd or headwaiter.

On this (and any other dietary requests), be sure to check in with the matre'd or headwaiter the first night. He/she will make sure that your needs are met.

Telling your wiater or assistant waiter is not enough. Every Princess menu expains that you need to speak with the matre'd or headwaiter.

Thank you!

I have an allergy to clams and made sure I mentioned it on the personalizer, to the matre 'd and waiter. One waiter would goout of his way to make sure he explained what I could and couldn't safely have each night and how various sauces were prepared. I've found that many of the waiters will work with you, but in the end it's always up to the consumer to de dilligent.

The chicken, beef, fish and veggie bases that they use for their broths and sauces has an enormous salt content. I always felt that Princess over-salted their food due to the average age of its passengers. Now that the base is getting younger and older is..well...20 years older than whatever age I am, I feel they need to re-examine that policy.

Just a side story, this past summer, we were sailing with dear friends and his one big comment was that the dining room didn't season their food enough. Yes, he salted the French Onion Soup the rest of us couldn't eat due to its saltiness.

Just a side story, this past summer, we were sailing with dear friends and his one big comment was that the dining room didn't season their food enough. Yes, he salted the French Onion Soup the rest of us couldn't eat due to its saltiness.

Did he taste it first or just automatically salt it? It's amazing how many people just use the salt shaker as soon as their food is served and never tasting it first.

Pia

Archived