Accident onboard

tranquility

We just got back two weeks ago from the Triumph. We had a blast. However, on the final morning, my husband fell down the stairs in the dining room. We requested medical check him out and he was taken to the nurse. Her assessment after just looking at him was that he would be bruised and sore but okay. When I requested a copy of the paperwork, just in case he required medical treatment when we got home, she had to clear it through security. She said she was sure he would be okay without further treatment. Security came and after many forms were completed, he was released with Ibuprophin (sp?) and we left the ship. We never had a thought of a lawsuit, although I am sure that is their fear, but we really thought we would at least get a call or e-mail checking on him after we got home. Has anyone else had an accident onboard and did they get any follow up? We love cruising but may try another line next time.

Not trying to be snotty.. but why would anyone think of a lawsuit in that situation? As long as the cruise ship is up to safety code (meaning handrails etc.) there is no way Carnival could be held responsible for an accident your husband had. Sorry... this lawsuit crazy world makes me a little nuts.

Im glad hes ok and yes it would have been nice for them to call after but that certainly would be above their line of duty.. not a mandatory thing.

I had several occasions where I have had to go to the doctor on a cruise ship (I took a 3 month long cruise and got the flu.) Once the doctor even gave me some medication i had a adverse reaction to (he had no way to know this would happen.) I didnt think twice when he didnt follow up.. i see them as a professional and i would expect family/friends to follow up not the doctor.

Maybe im alone in this thought though..

As you dont say there was anything wrong with the stairs, Im not sure why they would fear a lawsuit?? Is there more to the story?

Medical during your cruise is just that, for emergencies during your cruise. Iv never heard of them calling to follow up?? You were looked at and released to go see your doctor at home if you wish. I dont even know why you needed papers to verify they looked at your husband, so Im obviously missing part of the story. Is this because you had cruise insurance and might need to file a insurance claim later?

Iv been on CC for a while and never heard of Carnival calling your house to check up.

PS I went to the emergency room right before Christmas, and they never called to check up on me. Gee, never even occured to me a emergency doctor would call and follow up.

There wasn't anything spilled on the floor and we told them as much. I just think that in this "it's always someone else's fault, so I'll sue" society that Carnival might have been reacting that way. He didn't see the doctor, just the nurse, but with security coming down to get formal statements, etc., we just expected that someone from Carnival might have sent a follow up e-mail. We weren't expecting the doctor/nurse to do it.

Their only fault was seating us upstairs and having the doors to the exit for the elevators closed so that we were required to walk back down the stairs. We would have requested seating on the first level if we had thought we couldn't exit to use the elevator as my husband had been avoiding steps the whole cruise due to restricted mobility.

The reason I requested paperwork was because our medical insurance always asks if an injury was related to an accident and then wants a copy of an accident report. I didn't want to be stuck with a bill that insurance refused or have to go through a lengthy appeals process with them.

My husband was very blessed as he doesn't bounce so well anymore. It's a miracle he didn't cut his head or break a bone.

Cruisin' Ron is 100% correct.

If the Infirmary makes the usual charge for seeing DH, then DH would need paperwork to file with his insurance or Vacation Protection Insurance for reimbursement, so I'm a little surprised Carnival made an issue of it (but I understand liability wise). ken

We just got back two weeks ago from the Triumph. We had a blast. However, on the final morning, my husband fell down the stairs in the dining room. We requested medical check him out and he was taken to the nurse. Her assessment after just looking at him was that he would be bruised and sore but okay. When I requested a copy of the paperwork, just in case he required medical treatment when we got home, she had to clear it through security. She said she was sure he would be okay without further treatment. Security came and after many forms were completed, he was released with Ibuprophin (sp?) and we left the ship. We never had a thought of a lawsuit, although I am sure that is their fear, but we really thought we would at least get a call or e-mail checking on him after we got home. Has anyone else had an accident onboard and did they get any follow up? We love cruising but may try another line next time.

Sorry to hear of DH's fall and I hope he is OK. I would guess the nurse was counting on you to followup with your family physician if there was need for follow-up. I'd be amazed if that wasn't suggested at some point during your visit to the infirmary. Since it was departure day there really wasn't much chance to follow-up, and once back out to sea it becomes even more difficult for the medical staff.

I find it interesting you want to try another cruise line over this. Did he not recieve the attention you think he should have? Would you have wanted to pay for an entire work-up with x-rays only to find the nurse's assessment was correct?

You say their only fault was seating you in and area and then having the exit door closed and your husband had to use the stairs. I'm not sure if they knew your husband had limited liablity, but could you perhaps have found somebody to allow you to use an elevator? I think it is unreasonable to expect somebody to call and check on you after your return home, this just isn't done. I'm glad your husband is ok, but to change lines as a result of this is also unreasonable in my view since it is most likely an industry standard practice.

I'm glad that your husband is okay! Did you tell them why you wanted a copy of the accident report. I can understand them worrying about a lawsuit but I can't imagine they would have hesitated to give you the report if you told them that you just wanted it for your medical insurance claim since they won't pay without it.

I'm not entirely sure that any other cruiseline would have handled the situation much differently.

i'm a little fuzzy on why you would think they would follow up for something they determinded was just bumps n bruises and a little tylenol could help.

so, nope, don't find it out of the ordinary at all.

First of all, I hope that you and your husband had a great trip ( depite the fall) and that your husband is okay.

However - Your post I find somewhat childish in the aspect of because you weren't checked up on, you are considering trying another line. Get real. According your post, they did everything as they should have, they made sure he was fine, took the necessary measures, etc. Now on your behalf, why there was such drama with getting the papers to take home, but again, they have policy and procedure they MUST adhere to.

That being said and I some on here may or may not agree, but I am sure many of us have fallen by accident, never reported it or if so, didn't make a big deal about it, but I myself could certainly be less concerned with if they did or did not check on me due to a fall, especially if i was ok. Now say he was really hurt or even a worse case accident, i would be on your side saying they should have checked up. But lucikily, your husband was lucky and set aside from a bruise or two, he is perfectly fine.

The fact that you're wanting to consider another cruise line due to not being coddled, well my opinion is, I hope you have fun on your next cruise and keep standing upright. I am sure for a mere fall, you may not get that pampering you're looking for on any cruise line.

Whatver the case, you should look at the big picture instead of sweating the small stuff, (hopefully) you had a great cruise and great memories and in fact your husband is fine. Is getting all hell bent out of shape worth it?

I did tell the nurse why I wanted a copy of the paperwork. That is when she told us she was "sure he wouldn't need any follow up treatment" and that he would "be bruised and sore". I thought she should have consulted with a doctor since he rolled down three steps, twisted and landed headfirst. I did feel she brushed us off a bit but as it turned out, he didn't have anything broken.

We aren't changing lines just as a direct result of this accident, although I admit, it did make me wonder about their level of concern in the event of future medical needs.

I just wondered if other CC'ers might have experienced a similar problem and how it was handled.

I did think they might be afraid to follow up lest we perceive it as some sort of admission of liablility. This lawsuit crazy society has created a climate where you are almost afraid compassion will be seen as admission of something you did wrong.

Very sorry about what happened to your husband, I can smell the attacks to you on this board. God luck.

I thought she should have consulted with a doctor since he rolled down three steps, twisted and landed headfirst. I did feel she brushed us off a bit but as it turned out, he didn't have anything broken.

If you felt he needed further attention you could have requested to see the doctor.

I'm glad he is ok:)

I agree with what the OP is saying. Say they were not on a cruise ship, but a store in a mall? Somewhere a doctor is not available and had to go seek treatment elsewhere should they not follow up because no doctor was there? I know that where I work if someone trips, or loses their own balance we still fill out a form stating what happens and have always called them after the fact to ensure they are ok-even when nothing was our fault.

Guest scfjjb

I'm not entirely sure that any other cruiseline would have handled the situation much differently.

It would be handled the same on almost any cruise line. We have seen same kind of situations on RCI and Princess.

I agree with what the OP is saying. Say they were not on a cruise ship, but a store in a mall? Somewhere a doctor is not available and had to go seek treatment elsewhere should they not follow up because no doctor was there? I know that where I work if someone trips, or loses their own balance we still fill out a form stating what happens and have always called them after the fact to ensure they are ok-even when nothing was our fault.

You also have to consider that this probably happens to SEVERAL people per cruise. Maybe not everyone falling, but little bumps and cuts and etc from random things on the ship. Do you expect them to call EVERY person back to check in on them? I agree, it would be a nice touch, but I would never expect it on any terms.

In any case, I'm glad your husband is okay and hope you guys have better experiences in your next cruises!

Ps Ive tripped down the stairs too isnt much fuin just got banged up, stupid shoes!!!

We were sailing on the Pride and our table was on the bottom level near the spiral staircase. It got to the point where the minute we sat down with our tablemates, we'd make bets as to how many people would take a bad step coming down the stairs.

The circular staircase was (is?) especially treacherous, because the inside of the stair was narrower than the outside and if you are right handed, you ended up coming down the narrow part.

It was an amusing way to pass the time until a woman REALLY took a tumble wearing high heels on formal night and was badly hurt. We felt terrible and in an odd way, kind of guilty.

It must be a common occurance if we saw people stumble so many times. I wonder if they have modified that staircase somehow so it's safer.....

If you want to know about the level of compentency on board Carnival ships, I have a friend who is still with us today that suffered a heart attack on board the Legend and had to be air lifted to San Juan. The on board staff provided the care necessary to keep her going, and a nurse from the ship went on the helicopter with her to San Juan. Carnival allowed the husband to make all the calls he needed to make free of charge, especially since he could not accompany her to the hospital. They arranged for flights for him the next day when we got to St Maartan.

My friend and her husband will tell you that in the event of an actual emergency, you will be well taken care of.

I think even a nurse can be pretty sure when an injury will need attention: that being said, I understand why you wanted the paper work but don't understand why you thought they would follow up in any way. People trip all the time, normally no one pays much attention plus, which has been pointed out, if they did inquire it could be taken as admitting some guilt. Now, stop worrying, think of the good time you had and dont think any other line would have handled this differently.

Nita

Archived