United adds fees for snacks and meals Sept. 2nd

Mildred

Doesn't bother me. The only decent food I ever ate on any airline was PanAm, first class, JFK to Barbados.

I've taken my own food onboard for 25 years. Except for extremely long flights to say, Australia or New Zealand or, for some, southern Africa, there's no need to load up on food anyway. Take a sandwich - or two if you like, some chips, some nuts or energy bars and a couple of beverages.....that should do just fine. We don't always have to be stuffing our faces anyway.

My son is vegan. He is also an adventurer who travels around the world climbing high things, diving to low, low places. Sometimes he's gone for a month at a time. He has never eaten a meal on a plane that he didn't bring himself. Never lost a pound, never was dehydrated.

Crikeys! Nobody ever starved to death on an 8/9 hour flight....or longer.

You have issues. On many levels.

Your pet is a "he" but a human is an "it". What do you do with your other 50 cats while you and "he" are off playing dress up?

If I had to sit next to you on a flight I would be kicking and screaming too.

Yikes you two! the point of his story was not where him and his cat were going to, but rather a 5lb cat has a fee when a child doesnt. I have a tiny chinese crested and have yet to take him on a plane, but i think a fee for infant or small pet should be an equall amount or none at all. I have no children of my own but you have to admit as well that a screeching baby crying and fussing is not the most pleasant of sounds! lets not forget too, that we come on these boards because we all have one thing in common, CRUISING!

But hey, there are some people on this very thread who seem to prefer low ticket prices to getting some food and drink included on an 8-hour overnight flight.

Yep, I'm one of them. I choose the carrier with the lowest price and most convenient time. Service doesn't even enter into the equation for me. I understand that some people would pay more - even hundreds of dollars more - just to fly on a carrier that offers a (meal) service that they're accustomed to receiving. I'm not saying I like the idea that airlines start charging for things that have been free in the past, but it certainly won't factor into my decision whether I use that carrier or not.

I'm confused here so I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me. Since this is a United thread and I've read repeated posts that state "I'll never fly United" or "I gave up flying them years ago" etc ....then why are those same people beating a dead horse about the services being changed or eliminated? Those that have staunchly opposed United wouldn't be in the least bit effected by any changes would they?

To me air is much like cruising. There are choices out there that fit everyones needs. There's no need for every single cruise line to be identical and the same applies for air. If United isn't for the business minded or frequent flyer then why shouldn't they be willing to change and offer things for the flyer that doesn't expect a 3 course meal or a snack on each flight? So yes the cost is much lower but if the end result is the same getting from point A to point B shouldn't the "extras" be up to the consumer? I think it's great that there are airlines out there that offer all those extras albeit they do cost considerably more to meet the needs of those that want those extras and are willing to pay for it. No one is reporting that every single airline is eliminating or charging for those extras....so why not stick to booking on carriers that can meet your needs best?

I'm just the average person who needs a flight from point A to B. I never ask for beverage service nor a snack on any flight I've taken. When I board the plane I find my own seat and remain seated until we are given the ok to get off the plane. What kind of services am I missing out on? All I care about is getting from one destination to the other. I don't need any of those extras that people are so upset about. I'm not sure how much more service I could expect from the flight attendants?

When I read this thread and the other related one on this board I wonder, how many of the posters actually fly UA and will be affected by this change. If you aren't, why would you possibly care?

UA is the airline our family usually flies, mainly because it's where we have status and miles, and we could care less about this (well, Mr. rugrats is not too happy about possible changes to meal service in C). It's only prudent to bring your own food aboard. I can't tell you how many delays, etc. we've experienced, and not just with UA, over the past year. Better to be prepared and not ever count on getting food from any airline.

Archived