United adds fees for snacks and meals Sept. 2nd

Mildred

I don't think it should be so unsurprising...buses, taxis and trains don't give you free snacks. And it would cost you more to take a bus or train somewhere than fly there. So why should an airline give you that stuff for free?

Does doing away with those stupid pretzels really save them that much money? I won't miss them, I hate those things anyway. And I've never gotten a cookie when flying with them!

The bigger problem I think would be with getting rid of the meals in business class. Seriously? You may a ton more for your ticket but then you still have to buy the stupid snack box? What a gip.

There was no mention of whether or not soda and water will be pulled as well. I think I'd have a problem with that one...

I don't think it should be so unsurprising...buses, taxis and trains don't give you free snacks. And it would cost you more to take a bus or train somewhere than fly there. So why should an airline give you that stuff for free?

Because Airlines are whacking us over $2000 for a flight to Europe - and packing us in like Sardines. THATS WHY!

United lost my business years ago - for being greedy.

after reading these threads here i was joking with dh and saying pretty soon they are going to charge a deposit to use the oxegyn masks...no quarter.....sucks for you! lol but ill tell you all what airlines have gotten soo super greedy these last few years and service has been slowly deterierating. AA lost my business a year or so back due to a horrific lack of service....it was terrible. we are flying delta with this cruise coming up and of course we pick the airline that starts the whole pay 50 dollars for second bag. luckily we bought our tickets back in april so we are exempy from any type of luggage fee...whew! i was reading today i think it was jet blue who is charging for water now...2 bucks! but the thing that really urks me is the fact that business/ first class is exempt all around! i mean i understand that fuel is high blah blah blah...and thats the reasoning for all these new fees, but seriously, if you can afford to fly first class then you can afford to pay along with the poeple who struggle to even pay for coach. lol this is my take on the whole subject...sorry it was a novel!

after reading these threads here i was joking with dh and saying pretty soon they are going to charge a deposit to use the oxegyn masks...no quarter.....sucks for you! lol but ill tell you all what airlines have gotten soo super greedy these last few years and service has been slowly deterierating. AA lost my business a year or so back due to a horrific lack of service....it was terrible. we are flying delta with this cruise coming up and of course we pick the airline that starts the whole pay 50 dollars for second bag. luckily we bought our tickets back in april so we are exempy from any type of luggage fee...whew! i was reading today i think it was jet blue who is charging for water now...2 bucks! but the thing that really urks me is the fact that business/ first class is exempt all around! i mean i understand that fuel is high blah blah blah...and thats the reasoning for all these new fees, but seriously, if you can afford to fly first class then you can afford to pay along with the poeple who struggle to even pay for coach. lol this is my take on the whole subject...sorry it was a novel!

I knew something wasnt right on my post here...i spelled OXYGEN wrong...lol sorry it is a pet peeve of mine and i had to rightfully fix it! lol

Well said; my thoughts exactly. :)

Does doing away with those stupid pretzels really save them that much money?

YES!

United flies millions of people per year. If they just save 50 cents per passenger in these cuts and just fly 1,000,000 (I believe the number is much higher) that would be $500,000 a year in savings. Also they are able to load a bit less onto the plane so the reduced weight also provides slightly better fuel efficiency for the plane for additional savings.

YES!

United flies millions of people per year. If they just save 50 cents per passenger in these cuts and just fly 1,000,000 (I believe the number is much higher) that would be $500,000 a year in savings. Also they are able to load a bit less onto the plane so the reduced weight also provides slightly better fuel efficiency for the plane for additional savings.

Gonzo I agree with you..........it really does save money..........BUT.........I still think to eliminate a 1oz bag of peanuts and a cup of Diet Coke leaves an image that sticks in the neck of most people flying..........

but you are right..........it does save them a ton of money.

I won't be flying United again. It's bad enough they offer you the junk food to buy on the domestic flights, now they want to offer that service on International flights. I'll stick to airline that does provide a service.

And of course if you bring your own snacks and drinks, you must buy it at the airport!!!!

You can bring your own food from home. It's just the drinks that are restricted. And if you want to get by that bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain once you are through security.

You can bring your own food from home. It's just the drinks that are restricted. And if you want to get by that bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain once you are through security.

That's exactly what I do - pack those plastic canisters of mixed nuts and a couple of protein bars. What is really burning MY butt is that Continental is now charging $150 EACH WAY to bring my cat (show cat, I fly often to cat shows) who has to sit in his carrier under the seat (and also becomes my one carry-on bag as well) while the little darling next to me gets to sit for free on it's mother's lap and kick, scream and thrash through the whole flight (yes, this happened on my last flight).

Delta supposedly will not charge the fee for first or second bag on International flights. Morover if as in the case of our TA - we fly to Rome for the start of the cruise and back from FLL at the end of the cruise - as of today there is no charge for the 2 bags on the return flight either. Lets hope Delta keeps that policy

These are 8, 9+ hr flights people. They are not talking about a snack on a 3 hr flight. They are talking dinner & breakfast. I won't fly United overseas that's for sure. Who travels by train?? And busses make stops where you can get your own food. You are "trapped" in a plane with only their overpriced garbage to buy. BS!!!:mad: You can only pack so much because of the luggage rules already imposed. And the liquid resrictions. I will be waiting for the first story about someone going into diabetic shock on one of these flights. That should be really interesting.

Some people are a marketers dream lol. We should never expect anything from any service that we are paying for. :rolleyes: Thank you for distroying customer service as we used to know it.

$150 EACH WAY to bring my cat (show cat, I fly often to cat shows) who has to sit in his carrier under the seat (and also becomes my one carry-on bag as well) while the little darling next to me gets to sit for free on it's mother's lap and kick, scream and thrash through the whole flight (yes, this happened on my last flight).

You have issues. On many levels.

Your pet is a "he" but a human is an "it". What do you do with your other 50 cats while you and "he" are off playing dress up?

If I had to sit next to you on a flight I would be kicking and screaming too.

Your pet is a "he" but a human is an "it". What do you do with your other 50 cats while you and "he" are off playing dress up?

If I had to sit next to you on a flight I would be kicking and screaming too.

Actually, I have a very competent sitter. My cat and I sit very quietly and disturb no one. Child in question came very close to being removed from the flight because it would not sit down for take-off. Since you don't know me, I'll just take your rude attack as coming from a very prejudiced source.

British Air still serves meals to all ticket holders. Their first class service is wonderful.
Not just in first class. Try flying British Airways domestically, eg London to Edinburgh, in the morning. At breakfast time.

It may be a one-class economy class service, but you still get a hot breakfast.

I'll stick to airline that does provide a service.
If only the US market had said this earlier, rather than just buying the cheapest ticket and then grumbling afterwards about how little service they got.

But hey, there are some people on this very thread who seem to prefer low ticket prices to getting some food and drink included on an 8-hour overnight flight.

I can't really remember ever getting anything decent to eat on an airplane, so I can't really care if they stop all food service. And I simply hate that stupid plastic glass filled nearly completely with ice and about two tablespoons of soda thrown in as an afterthought. Let's not even mention the coffee, since that's really depressing. Speaking only for myself here, I'll happily bring my own of anything I'm going to want.

Archived