Requesting a Fridge in Stateroom

Fighterone

When we cruised with Norwegian, we requested and quickly got a small fridge upon arrival on board. Has anyone else done this with Carnival? Should I put in a request prior to boarding? It seems to make things a lot easier to have a fridge to keep everything cold instead of bothering the house steward for ice all the time. Please give your input. Thanks

Good question, one of our group cruiseing next year is diabetic and needs to keep some of his meds cool. We were wondering about how to get a fridge in the state room and when to request this. Does any one know if there will be an extra charge for this. We are cruiseing with Carnival.

TripletDad

Some of the Carnival ships have fridges in every cabin - such as the Conquest Class. I'm not sure about the others - but do know that fridges are available suites. If you have medical needs - storage of insulin - then you need to contact Carnival and make them aware so they can make arrangements to keep it cold.

I have never heard of it being done before. For one thing, there isn't any place to plug them in. There is usually only one outlet in the cabin and that's on the back side of the vanity. The fridge would have to sit in front of it and you wouldn't be able to get around it or use the vanity. They are built-in into a cupboard in the cabins that do have them.

The Pride has them in their cabins. We never had a frig in our 4E or 6A cabins on our other cruises.

I think it's Spirit and Conquest class that have them. The older ships only have refrigerators in their Cat. 11 & 12 cabins.

got a small fridge upon arrival on board. Has anyone else done this with Carnival? Should I put in a request prior to boarding? It seems to make things a lot easier to have a fridge to keep everything cold instead of bothering the house steward for ice all the time. Please give your input. Thanks

Someone mentioned contacting Special Needs Department which is correct. There is no charge for them. If you are on an older ship or a cabin that doesn't them, you can make a request based on medical need. Each has only a handful of refrigerators. Someone else mentioned needing one as they were a diabetic. From past experiences, even though I know insulin needs to be refrigerated, they will not usually give them a diabetic passenger until last minute to see if any are left. I had a client who has MS and needed to keep her medicine refrigerated. Special Needs gave her one because of the medical condition. I have been told that there just isn't enough on the ship to give one to each diabetic passenger that asks for one.

As a nursing instructor I realize that most patients are taught to keep their insulin in a refrigerator, but it really isn't necessary. Open vials of insulin are stable at room temperatures for up to one month. Extremes of temperature, such as those over 86 degrees or under 36 degrees, and direct light sources should be avoided. Insulin should also be injected at room temperature to allow for better absorption from the injection site. Check out this website for more information..... :)

http://www.diabetes.org/for-parents-and-kids/diabetes-care/storage.jsp

Archived