Uupdate on fuel supplement refunds: a ruling from the RCI legal department

When my TA was unable to get the fuel supplement dropped for final payment earlier this month for a cruise originally booked June 3, 2007, I had asked on this board for others' experiences. The responses were varied to say the least. It appears that RCI's excuse for charging the supplement on cruises booked before Nov. 16, 2007 is that if you change to another cruise, then that is the new "booking" date, regardless of the fact that the booking number has not changed. However, someone was thoughtful enough to post the actual legal agreement of RCI's with the Florida Attorney General's office. With that document in front of me, I called RCI's resolutions dept. and quoted some of the wording. The rep had no idea what document I was talking about. She asked if I could fax the document to her. As I couldn't, I advised her the case file numbers and asked her to take this up with the legal department, as I was confident the wording of the legal agreement would indicate that I was owed the supplement refund. This was late on a Wed. afternoon. On Friday morning, a $70 credit was posted back to my Visa. As I have said before, it is not about money. It is about RCI upholding its original agreement for ALL who booked prior to Nov. 16, 2007.

I am so glad that you got your money back. It doesn't seem right to me when you change something on your booking, keeping the same booking number, that it would be considered a new booking.

If that happened to me, I was going to write to the Fl attorney general again. I did write when they started the fuel surcharge and billed it to those of us who had booked before Nov 16. A lot of people thought those of us who wrote were foolish, but somehow I didn't see them sending any of us the refunded money they got, lol.

Will you please post the info you gave RCI so that in the event another of us run into the problem, we can quote it? Thanks so much.

I am confused. Did you change your sailing from the original booking after 11/16/2007?

If someone changed the cruise they had booked, prior to 11/16/2007, to a different cruise, even though they kept the same booking number, why wouldn't the supplement be applicable? It is the same as cancelling one cruise and booking another.

When my TA was unable to get the fuel supplement dropped for final payment earlier this month for a cruise originally booked June 3, 2007, I had asked on this board for others' experiences. The responses were varied to say the least. It appears that RCI's excuse for charging the supplement on cruises booked before Nov. 16, 2007 is that if you change to another cruise, then that is the new "booking" date, regardless of the fact that the booking number has not changed. However, someone was thoughtful enough to post the actual legal agreement of RCI's with the Florida Attorney General's office. With that document in front of me, I called RCI's resolutions dept. and quoted some of the wording. The rep had no idea what document I was talking about. She asked if I could fax the document to her. As I couldn't, I advised her the case file numbers and asked her to take this up with the legal department, as I was confident the wording of the legal agreement would indicate that I was owed the supplement refund. This was late on a Wed. afternoon. On Friday morning, a $70 credit was posted back to my Visa. As I have said before, it is not about money. It is about RCI upholding its original agreement for ALL who booked prior to Nov. 16, 2007.

Did you change your mind about the original cruise and book a different cruise, using the same booking number?

Yes I changed to a different cruise, but the booking number remained the same. That booking number never changes unless you choose to cancel the booking altogether. If you book another cruise after cancelling the original, then sure, that new booking date would apply. I'm not here to argue with anyone about what "booking" means. I simply wanted to let folks know that RCI's legal department apparently looked at the legal document and agreed that the wording of it sustained my assertation that I was owed the fuel supplement refund, and it was credited to my account. And for katiel : case nos. L96-3-1198 and L07-3-1171 are on the document from the FL AG's office titled "In the Matter of Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD, Amendment to Assurance of Voluntary Compliance".

Did you change your mind about the original cruise and book a different cruise, using the same booking number?

This is EXACTLY what we did, and we were NOT charged the fuel supplement on the "new" booking when we changed in July 2008. RCCL is not being consistent about this, and I'm delighted the OP got the refund. If we weren't charged, neither should the OP. Our situation was we booked and paid in full over a year ago (end of May 2007), then switched the booking to another ship, keeping the original booking number.

I am sorry if you took my post as being argumentative. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I am one of the original and most vocal protesters against the way the supplement was handled and wrote to everyone from the top on down. I personally believe that if the cruise is changed it should be subject to the applicable charges. I know...I know... I am in the minority on this one, maybe even alone. :)

I am sorry if you took my post as being argumentative. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I am one of the original and most vocal protesters against the way the supplement was handled and wrote to everyone from the top on down. I personally believe that if the cruise is changed it should be subject to the applicable charges. I know...I know... I am in the minority on this one, maybe even alone. :)

Understand that if you keep your booking number you get to keep your OBC and other coupons and perks that you received. Why should they treat the fuel charge differently?

Understand that if you keep your booking number you get to keep your OBC and other coupons and perks that you received. Why should they treat the fuel charge differently?

Some perks (discounts) come from C & A status or TA. OBC is from a next booking, share holder, C & A or other coupons or from your TA. Most would transfer to a new reservation, but some would not. Examples: balcony discount if you didn't reserve another balcony cabin, or a coupon if the new sailing was not on the C & A list.

The guest knows at the time they change their mind to another sailing that the supplement is in effect. They have full knowledge that it exists.

RCCL is being very generous to those guests changing their existing reservations and not imposing the supplement when the guest knows that the supplement is in effect.

JMHO :)

Jobob, at the time I changed to another cruise I only had RCI's original press release stating the fuel supplement wouldn't be charged on "any booking" prior to Nov. 16. I did not then (nor have now) any further statement explaining that a change in cruise date would be considered a new booking date instead of the original booking date and add the fuel supplement per the new date. So I was just taking RCI at their published word when I changed assuming "any booking" actually meant "any booking". Would I have changed dates if I knew I would have to pay? Yes. Remember it's about being fair as pcur pointed out. RCI needs to treat all of those original bookings and fuel refunds the same. And they certainly haven't.

Thanks for the information, I have had a refund refused 3 times, but armed with the Agreement from the FL AG, I have emailed again, to try and get the refund

Some perks (discounts) come from C & A status or TA. OBC is from a next booking, share holder, C & A or other coupons or from your TA. Most would transfer to a new reservation, but some would not. Examples: balcony discount if you didn't reserve another balcony cabin, or a coupon if the new sailing was not on the C & A list.

The guest knows at the time they change their mind to another sailing that the supplement is in effect. They have full knowledge that it exists.

RCCL is being very generous to those guests changing their existing reservations and not imposing the supplement when the guest knows that the supplement is in effect.

JMHO :)

You are correct, but a lot of people, myself included, did change ships, but did not have a new reservation, we kept our existing reservation number and just modified it.

Yes I changed to a different cruise, but the booking number remained the same. That booking number never changes unless you choose to cancel the booking altogether. If you book another cruise after canceling the original, then sure, that new booking date would apply. I'm not here to argue with anyone about what "booking" means. I simply wanted to let folks know that RCI's legal department apparently looked at the legal document and agreed that the wording of it sustained my assertation that I was owed the fuel supplement refund, and it was credited to my account. And for katiel : case nos. L96-3-1198 and L07-3-1171 are on the document from the FL AG's office titled "In the Matter of Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD, Amendment to Assurance of Voluntary Compliance".

Thanks for the info. They continue to also deny me the same. They insist that even though I have the same booking number that the date I changed the booking is the date they go off of for the fuel supplement.

This is all so sad.

We booked a cruise before the announcement and also had to change, due to a illness/hospitalization.

RCI added the fuel to the new booking, however, we were within the "get a free gift" for the fuel charge time. We were thinking 'great another keychain' :eek:

As the sail date got closer, we heard that the gifts given were free cookbooks and other nicer items. Well, not so bad at least we were getting something, RCI really did not need to give us a thing.

A few days into the cruise and we asked about the "Free gift". I even had a print out of the announcement of the free gift. They informed me RCI was no longer giving out the free gift. :(

I booked my cruise early in 2007 ( maybe April). When is the surcharge applied? Is it athe final payment or on your seapass?

Also I can find the amendment. I am not very good with search engins. Does anyone have the link?

Thanks so much for all your help.

We've tried several times to get credited for the surcharge for a cruise booked in July 07 and taken in Jan-Feb 08. We were told because the cruise was not paid in full by the date the surcharge was applied, that we would have to pay the fuel surcharge. Fine & dandy, we paid the surcharge in Dec 07, no problems right...wrong. Remember, we didn't change anything from our original reservation (from July 07)...ever. After paying the surcharge in Dec 07, our on-line RCI statement showed we still owed it...I called them, got a copy of an updated statement e-mailed to me and printed it out, it showed $0 balance due. Several days later I checked on-line again, same balance due, same call to RCI, same $0 bal due statement e-mailed to me. A few days later, same series of events again except RCI told me they had credited the surcharge back to my credit card and made a mistake that would be corrected; no balance was due as fuel charge didn't apply to me because I had booked in July 07. I expected and you know of course what happened at check-in...guess who was moved from the express check-in counter back to the back of the line to pay off unpaid balances, armed with several official RCI no balance due statements and a bit aggravated knowing I'd already paid this off back in Dec 07; the exchange at the counter after a 30 minute wait was futile. The statements RCI had e-mailed were meaningless, the official statement on their terminal still showed a fuel surcharge due. Of course, I paid up and expected some token apology for the ordeal they'd visited on us or maybe a bottle of wine in our room...nothing was forthcoming. Message to RCI; if you want to surcharge me, when I mail it to you, keep it, don't put it back into my account only to make me re-pay it again later.

grayesun- That is just totally wrong! It is unbeliveable how RCI has mis-handled this whole thing. If I were you, I think I would write the FL AG's office. RCI is NOT upholding its legal agreement. The wording about not charging the fuel supplement to those with bookings by Nov. 15, 2007 refers to "any booking" in both the legal document and RCI's original press release. I used to teach English and to me, "any booking" means just that! Interestingly enough, the paperwork for Next Cruise bookings made while on board a cruise is titled "Booking Recap". I know some people have been denied the refund based on being told the Next Cruise was not a booking until the ship and date were selected. So why is the paperwork titled "Booking Recap" Duh!

This is all so sad.

We booked a cruise before the announcement and also had to change, due to a illness/hospitalization.

RCI added the fuel to the new booking, however, we were within the "get a free gift" for the fuel charge time. We were thinking 'great another keychain' :eek:

As the sail date got closer, we heard that the gifts given were free cookbooks and other nicer items. Well, not so bad at least we were getting something, RCI really did not need to give us a thing.

A few days into the cruise and we asked about the "Free gift". I even had a print out of the announcement of the free gift. They informed me RCI was no longer giving out the free gift. :(

I am sorry this happened to you but I am not at all surprized.I am so glad that I no longer have to fool with RCI's customer service or resolutions departments.There are other options!

I am sorry to drag you all back to square one but I am hopelessly confused by this and would be grateful for a simple explanation.

The UK terms & conditions say RCLI can iompose a surcharge, or will make a refund, if their costs increase or drop by more than 2%.

There is no indication that you are only charged the surcharge fixed at the time of booking. Indeed, there seems to be nothing that prevents further surcharges after the final amount has been paid (although that would be very naughty!)

If I am wrong, can anyone explain what the surcharge policy is? of course, we should all be expecting refunds now that the fuel price has dropped!

-

And for katiel : case nos. L96-3-1198 and L07-3-1171 are on the document from the FL AG's office titled "In the Matter of Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD, Amendment to Assurance of Voluntary Compliance".

Can you post a link to it? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :o

I don't know all the details, but I made our original reservation early in 2007. I changed dates and ships in April. I asked the reservation person about the fuel supplement and at that time the answer was - as long as I kept the original booking number there would be no fuel supplement added." That makes sense - if you don't cancel your reservation, just rearrange your travel dates they were not charging.

When I called last week to change cabins, I asked the reservation person if we would be hit with the fuel surcharge if we changed classes (went from balcony to suite) and her response was as long as we did not change ships or dates. I think this relates to the change in wording on the last fuel surcharge they implemented.

I am sorry to drag you all back to square one but I am hopelessly confused by this and would be grateful for a simple explanation.

The UK terms & conditions say RCLI can iompose a surcharge, or will make a refund, if their costs increase or drop by more than 2%.

There is no indication that you are only charged the surcharge fixed at the time of booking. Indeed, there seems to be nothing that prevents further surcharges after the final amount has been paid (although that would be very naughty!)

If I am wrong, can anyone explain what the surcharge policy is? of course, we should all be expecting refunds now that the fuel price has dropped!

-

I would imagine the terms are different for the UK. The agreement was between RCCL and the Florida Attorney General, RCCL(UK) is a seperate company and I don't think the agreement will cover them

I have just gotten off the phone with RCCL again, and still denied the fuel supplement refund. I booked a Next Cruise on Sept. 2007. In Oct. 2007, I chose the sail date and paid the remaining deposit due. So, in Oct. 2007, I paid full deposit. In Jan. 2008, I changed the sail date-of course, I kept the same booking number. I was told then that I would get the fuel supplement refund because I kept the same booking number and had full deposit made before Nov 15, 2007.

I called in March and June of 2008, because I still didn't have the fuel supplement refunded yet. I was told that they were doing the refunds in order of when your sailing date was. Since I don't sail until Nov. 30, 2008, I needed to wait closer to final payment. I called 2 weeks ago and was told-absolutely not-I would not get the refund because I changed the sail date in Jan. 2008, even though the booking number is the same.

After reading this thread today and checking out the Florida Attorney Generals statement, and reading the "had made a deposit on any booking" part, I thought I should definitely get the refund.

Well, I was transferred to the resolution center, and then to an executive, and was repeatedly told NO! Since I changed the sail date, I am not entitled to the refund. Even though I made a deposit on any booking before Nov. 15, 2007. So, I don't know why I am not getting a refund and others are-I don't know what else I can do.

Interestingly enough, the executive that I talked to said that my fuel surchage was refunded in March 2008, (by mistake), and then added back on.

Archived