RCCL 2/1/09 - Ocho Rios with 3 kids

newbie2rc

We are fairly new to cruising... we had our first experience in May on the Disney Wonder for a 3 night cruise and had such a blast that we are booked for a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise this February on the Freedom of the Seas. I am nervous for a couple of reasons...

first - we did great on a 3 night with calm seas, but now I'm worried about the seas on a 7 night with further destinations. Secondly, I really want to do the Dunn's River Falls and possibly the White River Tubing through a private vendor that has been recommended on this web-site. Our children are 10, 8, and 6 (but will be a couple of months from turning 11, 9, and 7). All 3 are currently active, in-shape, and have been on the swim team this summer - so are fairly good swimmers for their ages. I read all of this negative stuff about Jamaica and do not want to put my children in harm's way, but want to have fun and see all the sights! I thought the private booking of the excursion might suit us better and might be safer because we will have a private guide and I will ask for a custom tour that skips the shopping and brings us right back to the ship after the falls and tubing.

Has anyone else taken their children on these excursions? Anyone experience anything unsafe?

Thanks for your input!

We've been to Ocho Rios twice with the kids, and have booked both private and ship's tours:

Private--we booked a van/driver when the kids were 3.5 and 5.5, and went to Dunn's River Falls, the rain forest, a garden, and Margaritaville. At Dunn's River, we opted not to climb the falls. Rather, we walked DOWN the stairs to the bottom and spent some time at the beach. HEad over to the Jamaica board for info on private tour guides.

Ship--last year, we unexpectedly were re-routed to Ocho Rios due to a hurricane, so HAD to book a ship's tour. We took a tour called "Rafting on the Martha Brae" and it was AMAZING! It involved an hour bus ride through the countryside, then rafting down a river aboard handmade bamboo rafts with a guide. Totally neat experience. Check out the pics:

DSCF4662.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

DSCF4676.jpg

(NOTE--the kids finally took off their life jackets when we realized the river was only 2 feet deep.)

Many people "fear" Jamaica because people will call out to you and ask you to buy drugs. We found that when we had the kids with us, it simply didn't happen. Perhaps they are more respectful of those with little ones? None-the-less, I felt no more/less safe there than Cozumel, Belize, or Roatan. It's definitely NOT St. Thomas.

I've heard cool things about the tubing, and hope to try that someday.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

We did Dunn's River Falls when we stayed in Jamaica (not on a cruise). Our kids were 6, 9, 11 and are all active and in very good shape. They loved it! As long as the kids are comfortable swimming and are strong swimmers they should have a lot of fun. We never did the tubing.

We liked Jamaica very much and never had anyone approach us for drugs when our kids were with us.

We did river tubing and Dunn's Falls with grandkids 3,4,5 & 5 and their parents. The kids were comfortable in the water, though only the older two could swim a little at that time. They all absolutely loved the tubing and wanted to do it again immediately. Since they were so young they each rode with an adult.

We took them to Dunn's Falls but didn't attempt the climb with that many little ones. Their parents climbed the falls; we had done so previously so we took the kids to the beach.

I think all of your kids would do fine at the falls; the 6-year-old may need some help, or she may be helping you!

We used Phil Lafayette and were very satisfied. I wouldn't do Jamaica without a reputable guide, especially with kids.

We did the Dunns river Fallas and river tubing with Phil Layette. Our children were 10 and 12. The 12 year old was a very nervous child at that stage but was so proud of his achievements when he climbed the waterfall. The group all hold hands and suppport the less competent ones as you climb. The guides are very helpful too. The confidence and enjoyment that my son received from this one activity has spilled over into many areas of his life. we all loved the river tubing too and the children managed it easily. Again, the guides help any nervous ones. We all loved Phil - his fun personality and pride in his country really helped to make the day so very special for us. At no time did we feel in danger and I have been horrified to hear of the stories reported on these boards.

Jamaica is not as bad as some folks make it to be! Yes, just like any Caribbean island, there is poverty and you will find some "beggars" and other unsavory characters. Just say, "No!" (Your kids can do that!!!) They will NOT be "in harms way" by any means!

Whether you do a private excursion or a ship's excursion, you will be fine.

we were just there & loved it. My 10yo ds didn't want to do tubing, so we did the rafting on the Marha Brae & loved it. It is a slower paced activity & he's normally go go go, but we had a great time. Our guide was excellent, he showed my son how to do the pole & get us down river.

My dh & my 12yo ds did the river tubing & they really liked that. There was one little spot where there are 'rapids' but it wasn't really much of anything.

I know that's so much help since we liked everything - we did book both through RCCL. In all honesty I like Jamaica much better than Cozumel or Labadee since I didn't have the constant 'hey lady come into my shop' yelled at me.

Archived