Holidays on board

RoupMom

DH and I will be sailing over the Christmas/New Year's holidays this year, our first time at this time of year. What can we expect on HAL in the way of special things for the holidays?

Thx in advance

Kathie

Let see, lots of fake Christmas trees all over the ship. MaybeTurkey on Christmas for dinner, a Santa appearance on board for the kids. New Years, bars are decorated, nice New Years dinner in the main dinning room, with party stuff. Last New Years on the Maasdam they had a wonderful buffet outside of some of the bars around midnight. A glass of Champagne at midnight.

I spent most every year since I was ten on a holiday cruise on Hal. All of the above is true. They used to give Chrismas gifts to everyone but that has been stopped years ago. The ships are all beautifully decorated and the atmosphere is very festive. santa comes on Christmas day and hands out small gifts to the kids. Eggnog is served and Christmas carols are sung. Many people bring small trees for their cabin. A truly wonderful way to spend Christmas/ New year's at sea.

We were on the Maasdam for Christmas three years ago. The year before we were on a celebrity ship for Christmas, and the past two years we've been on Princess ships.

Overall, I'd give HAL the best rating for the holiday. The decorations were tasteful--like an upscale store. The crew members performed a special Christmas show of music from their countries.

The Maasdam and Zuiderdam are in the running for our Christmas cruise this year. I've been watching prices for those cruises and four others, hoping they'll go down after the final payment date.

We were on the Zuiderdam a few years ago for Christmas and absolutely enjoyed it! While we've been on a few other Christmas cruises, I have to say HAL was the classiest.

This year, we're on the Maasdam over Christmas AND New Years. This will be our first 14 day cruise and our first New Years. Normally, cruises over both holidays are cost prohibitive...

Geoherb, we got a mailer from HAL about special Mariner pricing on a number of HAL cruises, including this one. Usually the mailers go in the trash, but since we were booked on the Grand Princess for the same dates, I checked it out. The prices on HAL were indeed, considerably lower, so we switched from the Grand Princess to the Maasdam.

Are you a Mariner member? BTW, these prices did not show up on any website...I used the service where you put a cruise out to bid and the agents respond. Not sure if I am allowed to mention it by name.

We were on the Amsterdam over Christmas a few years ago and every cabin door had a small, plastic wreath on it. I thought it was a nice touch.

Also, there was a Catholic priest, a Hebrew rabbi, and a Protestant minister on board for religious services. We thought that the crew Christmas celebration show was done very well-very touching--done on Christmas Eve, followed by a wonderful buffet in the Atrium area.

As much as we enjoyed the cruise, it was different being at sea over Christmas.

Some ships are more decorated than others -- I don't why.

Turkey -- I don't get excited about it -- it is the process stuff.

WOW!

One of the best turkey dinners I have had was on the Amsterdam at Christmas. Sorry for your experience.

If you want eggnog go early because it goes REALLY fast.:)

Smooth sailing to you...

Try the "oliebollen" for New Year's! The Christmas decorations will still be up. They'll hand out hats and party favors, bring in trays of champagne, have parties, music and dancing in all the lounges and there will be a countdown leading up to midnight. Great way to spend New Year's! Oh yeah, it'll be a formal night - not many blue jeans!;)

Try the "oliebollen" for New Year's! The Christmas decorations will still be up. They'll hand out hats and party favors, bring in trays of champagne, have parties, music and dancing in all the lounges and there will be a countdown leading up to midnight. Great way to spend New Year's! Oh yeah, it'll be a formal night - not many blue jeans!;)

"There's Always One"

HillbillyOveralls.jpg

I LOVE oliebollen. What about appelflappen? That is my hubby's favourite.

That's a double Dutch New Year's tradition! Haven't seen too many appelflappen on the dam ships for New Years though:( .

Het beste daar in Australie/All the best down there in Aussieland;)

Archived