Watches?

I did and got a bargain but make sure you buy from a real jeweler or you may get stuck with a fake.

Also, do your homework first and know what they sell for in the US as well as how to spot a fake.

I saved over $800 on my Movado.

On the less expensive side of watches, I had a Seiko in mind that I had priced in the US before our cruise, and ended up getting it at a savings when I purchased the same model in Ocho Rios. That was eight years ago and it's been trouble free. :)

Compared to what?? Yes they are cheaper than in the states. However there are better places like Dubai, Hong Kong, or Singapore. Again as was pointed out -- only buy from an authorized dealer. If a warranty is important make sure you read it and is valid in the USA.

We purchased two Movado's about two years ago and saved about $400 over US. However, we just got off Sovereign about 3 weeks ago and the sales in Nassau (and even the ship) were almost non-existent. Stores that normally had saleas of 30-75% were offering 10-20%. It looks like in Nassau the deals are going away at least for now.

We bought a Movado for our son in Jamaica at what seemed to be a good price. When I got home, found I could have bought it for the same price on overstock.com. Good thing is that there was a problem with it less than a year later, took it to a Movado authorized dealer, and it was repaired for free.

I bought a Breitling from a local jewelry store where I live after explaining to the owner that I saw this particular watch in the Caribbean and if he could match the price (or at least come close) I would buy it from him. If not, I knew I was going back to the Caribbean in another two months and would wait. He was able to get the price down so with tax it ended up being only about $75.00 more than it would have been on St. Maarten. I got the watch and the piece of mind of buying local.

HBC

To make sure you get a real one - Buy it on the ship. They will match the price that you get in port. Just bring proof of the price you got in port. Sometimes they don't require proof because they know how much the markup is. They are not going to sell you a $1200 Tag for $300 because you tell them that you got the price in Cozumel. That is where they will require proof.

I have 2 Rados, a Movado and a Tissot. Don't remember what I paid for any of them, but they are all genuine. Don't have a favorite, but the Rado's are the best looking.

Remember you pay no tax in the Caribbean.

Dropped one of the Rados so it landed just right to chip a piece out of the band. Took it to a watch repar place and he got the band replaced for free. Doesn't get much better than that.

Also have one of the National Geographic watches with the wind guage. I wear it when I play golf to find out the wind speed. Illegal, but only do it when playing for fun and the rest of the foursome gets all the info. Doesn't seem to help our scores any.

I have 2 Rados, a Movado and a Tissot. Don't remember what I paid for any of them, but they are all genuine. Don't have a favorite, but the Rado's are the best looking.

Remember you pay no tax in the Caribbean.

Dropped one of the Rados so it landed just right to chip a piece out of the band. Took it to a watch repar place and he got the band replaced for free. Doesn't get much better than that.

Also have one of the National Geographic watches with the wind guage. I wear it when I play golf to find out the wind speed. Illegal, but only do it when playing for fun and the rest of the foursome gets all the info. Doesn't seem to help our scores any.

I second the vote to buying on the ship.... I bought a Citizens Eco-Drive on Freedom in June and had them honor the price of a shop in Jamacia. It was about $80 cheaper. No problem at all.

Overall, I saved close to $300 on the same watch for what I would pay at my local shopping mall.

Unless you are looking "top end", the ship has great deals toward the end of the cruise. But be there when the shop opens because that watch you have been eyeing all week may be on ten other lists also.:rolleyes:

My wife bought a white guess watch on the Serenade last year. The white coating started peeling off about two months later. My point, be carefull of good deals. bottom line, good things not cheap, cheap things not good.

I got my Seiko Coutura for $350 in St. Martin. I LOVE IT! Amazon is selling one now for about $460.

My advice to anyone doing luxury shopping in ports of call is to educate yourself on what you are looking for before you leave. Know the typical price for the item.

Research can be extensive or it can be as simple os browsing at Costco or Sams and taking note of what they have to offer, item type, carat weight and price, and then comparing that to what you see in a port of call.

And never, ever, ever forget that a cheap internet cafe is always close by in a port of call. It is WELL worth $5 for 15 minutes of internet browsing to research the item that you are considering purchasing - especially if it is a luxury item.

That's how I found out that my watch was a good deal.

Happy Shopping!

We purchased two Movado's about two years ago and saved about $400 over US. However, we just got off Sovereign about 3 weeks ago and the sales in Nassau (and even the ship) were almost non-existent. Stores that normally had saleas of 30-75% were offering 10-20%. It looks like in Nassau the deals are going away at least for now.

I wonder if that has more to do with the fact that the dollar is so weak right now......

Has anyone ever bought watches in the ports and are they really a bargain?

Last year husband bought a Tag Heuer at Little Switzerland in St. Martin. He loves it. It was definitely less money there. Don't know how much less but we were very pleased. I keep joking with him telling him, this year it's my turn to upgrade my watch! Who knows, we'll see, if they have the one I want I will probably get it.

Archived