What to do in Picton, NZ

BlackJack2

I am also trying to decide what to do in Picton when we are there in October. Does anyone know anything about The Sounds Connection or Marlborough WineTours, which conduct wine tours from Picton? I am also considering a dolphin watch tour that is a ship excursion, and would appreciate any recommendations.

We were there last November on the Statendam. Sailing in on the Marlborough Sound was very nice. We took the cruise in the Sound to the Captain Cook first landing site. Quite enjoyable. Picton is a lovely smaller community. On our day and maybe when cruise ships are in local crafters set up a craft fair on the town green near the pier. Picton is quite walkable and was a very nice surprise.

Has anyone visited the port of Picton, NZ? I haven't seen or read much on this port? We will be in port on the Volendam on Dec. 24.

If you google PICTON and SHORE TRIPS or SHORE TOURS you should find some local companies. Picton is a small town so not that many operators. The wine region of Blenhiem is a short drive away, though if the weather is good try and get out on one of the water based tours around the sounds, maybe a walk along the Queen Charlotte Walkway, arange water taxis to drop and pick you up. Book in advance if poss.

We are taking a ship's excursion to Ship Cove. I've become such a Captain Cook addict. It was his favorite place in New Zealand. He anchored there for nearly 100 days.

If you want to read a great biography about Cook, "Farther than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook" by Martin Dugard is one of the best I've read.

Robin

Your visit to Picton will depend on how much time you are at the dock and therefore a ships tour may be neccessary as your time will not gel with the local tours or boat trips, many of which will be prebooked by the ship.

Make sure you you get a good position for the sail in/out as the transit through the sounds is a highlight.

Picton is a delightful little town and even if you dont do a tour,it is well worth wandering around. Being the transit point for the Inter Island ferry service it is well set up with "tourist shops' ,galleries and cafes, as people are always passing through .

We spent the day wandering in the town of Picton. It was very pleasant, there was a nice craft fair and some decent trails that went into the hills behind the town. Our tablemates took a wine tour that they enjoyed.

The aquarium, though small, had a very knowledgeable guide.

The nicest surprise was a group of ladies at the cruise dock giving small, fresh bouquets to everyone as we arrived.

It's a lovely, picturesque town.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the visitor's centre and take the local operator's mini bus tour of the township and surrounds. It was cheap, cheerful and we had a very informative local Maori lady who gave us a lot of background info and legend - and laughter along the way. The markets are fun; find the lady who sells the hand-made woollen felt hats. One of my favourite souvenirs.

• 2 years later...
Thanks for this tip. We'll be there on the 24th with BlackJack2 and hope it will run on Christmas Eve. That sounds just right for us! Any web links to it that you know of?

Kathie

Hi Kathie! Just wondering if you end up doing the Mini-bus tour. I know it has been a while... I've tried to goggled for it & contacted the vistor's centre but they quoted me some private drives with an hourly rate of $100/hr. It'll be great if somebody can provide me with any info about the Mini-bus tour. Many thanks in advance!

Cheers, Helen

Thanks for this tip. We'll be there on the 24th with BlackJack2 and hope it will run on Christmas Eve. That sounds just right for us! Any web links to it that you know of?

Kathie

Hi Kathie! Just wondering if you end up doing the Mini-bus tour. I know it has been a while... I've tried to goggled for it & contacted the vistor's centre but they quoted me some private drives with an hourly rate of $100/hr. It'll be great if somebody can provide me with any info about the Mini-bus tour. Many thanks in advance!

Cheers, Helen

• 1 year later...

This comment is too late for the original post but it may help others looking for something to do in Picton.

Picton is pretty small and you need to get out of the town to really appreciate this area. However, ship excursions are expensive and often take more time than you would like taking you to things you may not wish to see.

Local tour companies can give you an itinerary customized to your interests, the time you have available and your wallet.

We took a short afternoon tour with Taiaha Tours of 68 High St. Picton. Neville, our driver explained the options for the time we had available and then took us to see an old Maori settlement on Queen Charlotte Sound. He was able to provide us with valuable insight into the local area.

It's obviously best to arrange these things in advance but it's also worth checking to see if a tour can be arranged at short notice as we did.

Archived