Its hotting up with three fronts and Gustav

Mydnite

The NHC is now showing a further 3 areas to watch, 2 are orange, and the one fo the coast of Africa looks quiet big with plenty of room to develop all behind Gustav.

its hotting up a bit

Yes, not happy to see this. They did say that this was going to be a tough season and it's starting to remind me of 2004. I'm just waiting for Southwest Florida to be out of the cone. Gustav looks like it's going to be a real bad one for whoever it does end up hitting.

I know this is a busy time of year but is this much activity normal?

I'm on the West Coast and new to cruising.

I hope to be leaving out of Miami on Sept. 6

It is totally normal. We are in the peak of hurricane season right about now.

Please do not worry, most of those waves will hopefully not develop and if they do, they do not necessarily head our way.

It is totally normal. We are in the peak of hurricane season right about now.

This graphic shows the NOAA statistics..

peakofseason.gif

Things should be active from now, thru the peak at Sept.10th.

-and down that 'slope' ..thru to about Oct. 1st.

But you never know...

Some years it's worse/better than others..:cool:

Of course it's heating up, we leave on 9/6. We are used to cruising during hurricane season, 7 cruises were in August and have had our share of changed ports and bouncy seas, but we were always able to arrive in Florida at least 3 days before cruising, we sailed the day after Charley hit. But we cannot leave until Friday night, which is starting to scare me.

I am leaving on 9/6 as well...and being new to cruising this is FREAKING ME OUT! I am getting nervous about being on the ship in a storm!!!

:eek:

The ships are fine, avoid as much as possible. We left St. Thomas one time and they were tying everything that was loose (chairs, trashcans) down. Except for walking funny we were fine and it only lasted a couple of hours, never felt in danger. We were on a cruise wher it was so bad the deck doors were locked and barf bags were placed around the ship and it was in May-no hurricane. I am not afraid of being on the ship at all, only want to make it there.

Archived