Do you think....

Kerry78

My son is an extremely picky eater. He is 5. Last year on our cruise, he ate only cereal and jello the whole week. I was panicked, ofcourse now that I look back, I should have just chilled out! LOL

Anyway- do you think it would be alright to bring peanut butter with me in my tote bag?? He likes peanut butter sandwiches. Oh wait- Bread-- well I guess I can get bread on the cruise...

Im not taking a plane, we are driving to NYC b/c I live in MA. Im just worried about the terminal.

THANKS!

I have not cruised in a few years but they used to have the little packets of peanut butter ( and jelly) at the buffet in the morning. I would think you would be able to make the sandwich every morning for his lunch. I would bring some plastic sandwich bags - or a sandwich container.

My son is an extremely picky eater. He is 5. Last year on our cruise, he ate only cereal and jello the whole week. I was panicked, ofcourse now that I look back, I should have just chilled out! LOL

Anyway- do you think it would be alright to bring peanut butter with me in my tote bag?? He likes peanut butter sandwiches. Oh wait- Bread-- well I guess I can get bread on the cruise...

Im not taking a plane, we are driving to NYC b/c I live in MA. Im just worried about the terminal.

THANKS!

I brought pre cut up bagel and cream cheese with me to the airport, in a container, and passed thru security with it just fine.

As far as being on the actual ship is concerned, I see no reason why you couldn't ask for plain bread and utilize their pre packaged peanut butter all week long. I am sure that room service would be perfectly happy to bring you as many slices of bread, and peanut butter containers, each day, that you need. they may balk a little at the request, but all you need to do is explain that you have an extremely picky eater with you and you know that he will eat peanut butter. Dont forget to have them deliver cartons of milk to store too (as long as you have a fridge) And don't forget to tip every time they come.

What you may want to do is pack some plastic knives (for spreading) and some ziplock bags (sandwich and gallon) so that you can store the bread in your room (lg ziplock), and can also tote it around for when you need it (sm ziplock) and tote some peanut butter and plastic knives too (sm ziplock)

Personally, I would just hijack a ships knife for the week, being sure to leave it behind.

If, when getting back on from a port of call, ship security questions why you are carrying around one of their knives, just be honest. They will probably laugh.

Now, for my final act, repeat after me

"he wont starve" "he wont starve" "he wont starve"

Because sometimes even I have to remind myself that, just because DS has decided not to eat, he wont starve..... :D

I sailed on the carnival glory in April and they didn't have the prepackaged peanut butter on the buffet. We looked for it several times.

We took plenty of snacks for our 11 month old and they never stopped us. I would suggest to take a small unopened peanut butter container with you. It may not matter, but I have read other threads saying to take unopened snacks.

They have peanut butter--and it's true--the child WILL NOT starve himself! Truly! The will to live is just too strong!

I know folks don't want their kids to be hungry, but he won't stay hungry for long! He'll eventually eat something--and who knows--he may come to like something new! Happened with my son, when he went out on his own--things he would NEVER eat at home became quite tasty when that's all there was! He came home after a year eating salads with all the "stuff' that he used to hate! Told me hunger is a great thing for trying new things! and it's true! Don't cater too much to a picky eater--you're not doing them any favors!

They have peanut butter--and it's true--the child WILL NOT starve himself! Truly! The will to live is just too strong!

I know folks don't want their kids to be hungry, but he won't stay hungry for long! He'll eventually eat something--and who knows--he may come to like something new! Happened with my son, when he went out on his own--things he would NEVER eat at home became quite tasty when that's all there was! He came home after a year eating salads with all the "stuff' that he used to hate! Told me hunger is a great thing for trying new things! and it's true! Don't cater too much to a picky eater--you're not doing them any favors!

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded!

Ya know, about picky eating, isnt a mother's guilt so powerful?? LOL

I really WANT to say I wont cater to him, but when you work all day and come home and make supper and he is rolling around crying he wants cereal for supper and not "mommy and daddy food" I tend to give in. I hope eventually he will grow out of it. I mean he is by no means too skinny, dr says he is just right in the 45 percentile, but I tell the dr that is from all the dang snacks that I give him when I feel guilty when he doesnt eat anything! I know I know I am creating a nasty cycle. Its so hard!

Totally OT and in no way aimed at anybody on this thread/board.

Personally, i think there is just too much emphasis in society on "having to eat" / "having to finish your plate"

Sometimes I wonder if this is one of the things that contribute to our overweight society.

Kids are constantly being told "it's meal time, eat your food" I wonder if that is the wrong message to ingrain at young ages. It strikes me that the better message is "if you are hungry, eat, if you are not hungry, don't eat"

But then my toddler, just picking at his food, does send silent waves of panic thru my head and I rush off to find something as healthy as possible that I know he will chow down on.

I'm guilty too!

My DH and I JUST had a discussion about that same thing. He would say to our 4 YO DD "eat your dinner" 10 times during dinner!! It would drive me crazy. We finally agreed that she did not have to eat her dinner, she just does not get anything unhealthy after dinner if she does not finish. She always eats her lunch and she is not under weight - thin but healthy.

OP - I forget who makes it but one of the big peanut butter makers now sells PB in a tube - it looks like suntan lotion if you take the PB label off. Might be a good option. We have smuggled it into Disney with no problem.

Totally OT and in no way aimed at anybody on this thread/board.

Personally, i think there is just too much emphasis in society on "having to eat" / "having to finish your plate"

Sometimes I wonder if this is one of the things that contribute to our overweight society.

Kids are constantly being told "it's meal time, eat your food" I wonder if that is the wrong message to ingrain at young ages. It strikes me that the better message is "if you are hungry, eat, if you are not hungry, don't eat"

But then my toddler, just picking at his food, does send silent waves of panic thru my head and I rush off to find something as healthy as possible that I know he will chow down on.

I'm guilty too!

No I totally agree believe me. I remember, coming from a very old school portuguese father, being told to finish EVERYTHING in my plate or else. The "or else" meant getting slapped. One of my first memories actually was being slapped and I was STILL in a highchair for god's sake! Im overweight (although I have had lapband) and didnt talk to my father for 10 years before he passed at a young age due to cancer- you form an opinion there about how that affected me LOL

what I tend to complain about is not the AMOUNT that he eats. I swore I would never make him "finish his plate" or bug him about eating alot but its more of WHAT he eats. Its very difficult with him being very picky. Honestly his menu consists of chicken nuggets (ONLY certain ones- dino shapes) fish sticks, PB, Grilled cheese, mac n cheese. He doesnt eat ANYTHING ELSE food wise, he does eat breakfast foods such has pancakes, cereal, waffles, strudel. He will eat grapes occassionally, no other fruits. He will eat NO veggies. He tries but spits them out. He does have sensory intergration disorder so I know that has SOME to do with it but not everythign. He will eat snacks like goldfish, apple sauce, yogurt, cookies, and more.

I worry about the nutritional factor especially since he has bowel issues. I guess, being a first time parent, im just not sure how to put my foot down completely without feeling like i would starve him when he refuses to eat.

Anyway I know this went completely off topic LOL Just wanted to say I understood and appreciated your response!

No I totally agree believe me. I remember, coming from a very old school portuguese father, being told to finish EVERYTHING in my plate or else. The "or else" meant getting slapped. One of my first memories actually was being slapped and I was STILL in a highchair for god's sake! Im overweight (although I have had lapband) and didnt talk to my father for 10 years before he passed at a young age due to cancer- you form an opinion there about how that affected me LOL

what I tend to complain about is not the AMOUNT that he eats. I swore I would never make him "finish his plate" or bug him about eating alot but its more of WHAT he eats. Its very difficult with him being very picky. Honestly his menu consists of chicken nuggets (ONLY certain ones- dino shapes) fish sticks, PB, Grilled cheese, mac n cheese. He doesnt eat ANYTHING ELSE food wise, he does eat breakfast foods such has pancakes, cereal, waffles, strudel. He will eat grapes occassionally, no other fruits. He will eat NO veggies. He tries but spits them out. He does have sensory intergration disorder so I know that has SOME to do with it but not everythign. He will eat snacks like goldfish, apple sauce, yogurt, cookies, and more.

I worry about the nutritional factor especially since he has bowel issues. I guess, being a first time parent, im just not sure how to put my foot down completely without feeling like i would starve him when he refuses to eat.

Anyway I know this went completely off topic LOL Just wanted to say I understood and appreciated your response!

LOL, actually, it sounds like he has a pretty normal menu for a 5 year old!

Now, I'm not saying that his menu is "ideal" BUT what kid is ever going to eat an ideal menu? That is a rarity!

Everything you mentioned seems like normal kid-food to me...

Bowel issues, have you tried Lactinex chew able tablets? They are kid pro-biotics that replace the flora needed for proper digestion in bowels. They are non prescription but you have to ask for them at the pharmacists counter because they need to be refrigerated. We crush them into DH's food (applesauce) when he is on antibiotics. They keep "everything" tending more towards "solid". ;)

LOL, actually, it sounds like he has a pretty normal menu for a 5 year old!

Now, I'm not saying that his menu is "ideal" BUT what kid is ever going to eat an ideal menu? That is a rarity!

Everything you mentioned seems like normal kid-food to me...

Bowel issues, have you tried Lactinex chew able tablets? They are kid pro-biotics that replace the flora needed for proper digestion in bowels. They are non prescription but you have to ask for them at the pharmacists counter because they need to be refrigerated. We crush them into DH's food (applesauce) when he is on antibiotics. They keep "everything" tending more towards "solid". ;)

Well thats good to know! Thanks!

His bowel issues are a little more complicated. He is actually going to the GI right before we leave on our cruise. My pedi thinks he has Encopresis, which just basically means he may have been constipated for a while, it may have caused an impaction and now he cant control his poop. I mean thats the SHORT way of putting it. So he ends up pooping like ALL day and doesnt even know it. Yes, fun fun, when he just started Kindergarten in a catholic school which doesnt seem to want to deal with this issue. But so far, he is doing ok.

I have gotten much better as far as worrying about his food. I just hope he eats more than cereal on this cruise, but hey WHATEVER right, as long as he eats!

Thanks!!!!

Hey Kerry78--

If it makes you feel better, take the peanut butter. I actually took sandwiches on our last plane trip b/c I knew the kids wouldn't eat the plane food.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find pbj on the room service menus. Also, if you ask, many times you can get a grilled cheese in room service or the dining room, even though it's not on the menu.

Lastly--we just got back from Europe with the kids, and they had a hard time on-land (3-days) in Spain. The WHOLE time we were there for those 3 days, they ate french fries. Ugh, ugh, ugh. But, it was all we could find that they would eat. Europe had no kids menus, and obviously their food is non-American. Even though it KILLED me for them to eat french fries for 3 days, I knew once we got on the ship they would get fruits, veggies, and other normal food again.

Don't fret too much!

CeleBrat

Well thats good to know! Thanks!

His bowel issues are a little more complicated. He is actually going to the GI right before we leave on our cruise. My pedi thinks he has Encopresis, which just basically means he may have been constipated for a while, it may have caused an impaction and now he cant control his poop. I mean thats the SHORT way of putting it. So he ends up pooping like ALL day and doesnt even know it. Yes, fun fun, when he just started Kindergarten in a catholic school which doesnt seem to want to deal with this issue. But so far, he is doing ok.

I have gotten much better as far as worrying about his food. I just hope he eats more than cereal on this cruise, but hey WHATEVER right, as long as he eats!

Thanks!!!!

My DD suffered from Encopresis from age 2-5, and the dr. had her using miralax..(Spelling?) which is now available over the counter, at the time it was a prescribed laxative that didn't cause reliance on laxatives. When she started kindergarten I was very stressed with this issue, but during the year it eased up and now she does o.k. on her own. Traveling can cause issues though - I have to remind her to eat lots of fruit and drink TONS of water to keep regulated. I feel for you!

My DD suffered from Encopresis from age 2-5, and the dr. had her using miralax..(Spelling?) which is now available over the counter, at the time it was a prescribed laxative that didn't cause reliance on laxatives. When she started kindergarten I was very stressed with this issue, but during the year it eased up and now she does o.k. on her own. Traveling can cause issues though - I have to remind her to eat lots of fruit and drink TONS of water to keep regulated. I feel for you!

Oh wow, so you know how frustrating it can be. I feel bad for him (and me cleaning up to 6 pairs of undies a day!) How old is your daughter now?

My pedi did try Miralax, but number one my son will not drink it unless its in milk, which the pedi did not want me putting it in there. Number 2- it didnt really work. He then had me try a laxative, my son drank some of it and it seemed to work but not enough I guess b/c he still has the issue. Hopefully the GI can tell us more of what to do.

Oh wow, so you know how frustrating it can be. I feel bad for him (and me cleaning up to 6 pairs of undies a day!) How old is your daughter now?

My pedi did try Miralax, but number one my son will not drink it unless its in milk, which the pedi did not want me putting it in there. Number 2- it didnt really work. He then had me try a laxative, my son drank some of it and it seemed to work but not enough I guess b/c he still has the issue. Hopefully the GI can tell us more of what to do.

Well, good luck to you in getting this problem solved!

Have a great time on your cruise, sounds like you need the break!

In response to above - my DD is now 7 1/2, hasn't had too many problems since 1/2 way through Kindergarten year. But, back to your OP, diet has a lot to do with our problem - if I can keep her full of fresh vegies, fruit, and water, and limited dairy we do much better. As I noted, she does have issues when traveling, as her diet may get off. That is the great thing about cruising though, she can always find fruits and vegies. The GI appt. should answer questions for you, but maybe expanding his diet would help. I add fiber in whenever possible, and let her pick out fruit at the store. She loves salad, so we order her one anytime we eat out, and always started dinners on the cruise with the fruit plate. We push the water - she always carries a water bottle and we remind her to drink all day. Good luck - be patient and don't stress too much. I know it is hard when you are traveling to deal with this issue, but hopefully it will get better soon for you too. Either way - remember - this too shall pass....everytime I am about to go crazy with some child related issue, they seem to resolve themselves.

Even though we were on Princess, not Carnival, on our last cruise my GS just wanted a peanut butter sandwich. He had just turned 3. We found some the first day and after that, nope. They looked. Unfortunately we weren't able to find any on land either (tours just didn't go to the grocery store) so it was miserable. Finally once we reached Australia - 12 days later - we got some. I would take it. Better to be safe then sorry and when you leave the cruise, just leave it behind if you don't want to pack it.

The short answer is: Take the peanut butter. :)

You're not flying, so you don't have weight issues or limitations as to what is allowed on a plane, and a jar of peanut butter big enough for a whole week isn't very big. Take a box of his favourite cereal along as well if you want. I always pack food with me that is non perishable - not just on cruises, but land vacations as well. It's just so easy for me to pick up a few things at home that I know we all like (or my daughter likes), and then if we want a quick snack we don't have to worry about room service or finding food. Don't stress over it. Take it and if you need it it's there; if you don't, then no biggie. :)

It's not what they eat in a day but over the whole week. Try to look at the big picture. Take the peanut butter, in an unopened jar, whichever size you wish since you aren't flying. Bring the kind he likes, so even if the ship has some, you know he is going to like it. If they have some great, save yours, otherwise you will be covered.

We brought lots of snacks on our last cruise. Also the tea each afternoon was a great way to try little snacks of different food for our girls. Good luck and have fun!

I agree with the others - take the peanut butter. :)

I whole heartedly believe that is has nothing to do with good/bad parenting if the child is a picky eater. I have two kids - polar opposites.

One child - my oldest, ate raviolis for 7 days on Freedom. :eek:

The yougest - ate all kinds of things including escargot. :p She lives on fruits and veggies.

My oldest wouldn't touch a veggie even if it was smothered in chocolate..lol.

Take the peanut butter.

Just so you know, Carnival DOES serve PB&J in their dining room. :D

CarnivalKidsMenu.jpg

I agree take the peanutbutter - because many kids have a preference for PB brands and might even turn their nose at at an "off brand" sandwich.

My dear friend has her PhD in early ed and is an associate professor of early ed and director of a college-run daycare/preschool at a local college. She will not use "fussy eater" - prefers "selective". Beyond the negative connotations "fussy" has, she says some kids will use it as a crutch.

Food is one of the earliest things that a kid has control over. You can pick up a screaming and kicking two year old and move him to another room. You can put him in his crib and close the bedroom door at night time. But even if you get a spoonful of peas in his mouth - you really can't force him to swallow them! If you choose to make eating into a battleground issue, it will become one. Let your kid decide him or her self what to eat. Encourage and praise him when he tries something new -- even if he doesn't like it.

DD was a selective eater when she was in preschool. We never did "hot lunch" at her school since they made kids select five of the seven selections even if the kid knew that they will not eat it and then berated kids for tossing out food!

Now in 7th grade, her friends' moms still tisk tisk that she is a fussy eater. She packs her own lunch Today was typical - a tossed salad (spring mix, spinich, carrot, peas - no dressing), low-fat yogart, apple slices, and some crackers; she'll get a half pint of skim milk out of the machine. Hot lunch - corn dogs, french-fries, canned peach slices, buttered bread, cheese cubes, chocolatechip cookie and your choice of whole milk or 2% chocolate milk (we live in a dairy-farm community, they only went reduced fat with the chocolate milk after the supplier stopped offering whole chocolate milk in the half-pint containers). When her friends' moms do pack them cold lunch - they get a lunchables (no fruit, no veggies) or something just a horrible.

I'll take my selective eater any day. BTW she does just fine ordering off of the menu when we are on-board.

Take the peanut butter!! I also have an extremely picky child and a jar of peanut butter travels with us everywere. We have taken it on our cruise, to Mexico, to Disneyworld... We just pack it in our suitcase and never have had a problem. Sometimes I also bring a box of crackers and plastic knives to spread it.

Archived