Opinions on "guarantee staterooms"

Ive noticed that ships are now making it cheaper if you choose a "guarantee stateroom"... this is when you pick a catagory, but they pick where on the ship you will be. Has anyone ever done this?? Does is matter where you are on the ship????

It matters to me but the real issue is whether it matters to you. Some cabins cost more for a reason, center of ship, upper deck, more sq. footage? What's important to you and what does your budget allow? I couldn't deal with any forward cabin where you hear the anchor and feel all the sway. I dislike aft with the long dreary corridor. I like mid ship near the elevators.

I got one nice upgrade and one that was close to the worst in the category. Both were nice cabins. Some might not have wanted deck 2 aft where you feel the thrusters vibration though we didnt mind it. quiet back there. If you truly dont care where you are, then guarantees are great. We kinda hope to book a PR cabin this time so trying to pick a cabin, they were sold out the day I booked my last cruise, so the OV was fine we got, well actually I thought it was more than beautiful, but we wanted a PR, and said NEXT TIME. If you want something specific like a PR then you need to book it.

I recently booked an inside gtd on Sovereign for Oct. I did not really like the cabin I was assigned and called and it was changed. It was the same category but a better location. Then a couple weeks later the prices dropped and I called again and got us upgraded to an oceanview at the same price. No questions asked. I'm sure that doesn't always happen, but I learned it pays to keep an eye on the prices.

If you're one of those folks who don't care WHERE you are on the ship, as long as you are ON it, then a guarantee is for you!

We like to know exactly where we'll be, and what type of cabin we will have--I would NEVER do a guarantee, unless it was a "suite" gty!!!

For those who have booked one of these rooms... where are you notified you room number? can you change it then?

I went to my reservation on the RCL site and entered the booking number online and in my case with late booking it appeared in a few hours.

Iv heard some got someone to change their cabins, but the idea is that you are willing to take whatever they give you, so thats what you need to be prepared for.

I pretty much always do guarantee. If you do not like the cabin you are assigned you can call and they will change it for you to another cabin in the same category. Never have been unhappy, then again, how could I be unhappy on a cruise? :) :)

we booked on the AOS this past march inside room for $800, had our room numbers set. then it went down to $599 a few weeks later for just a guarentee, we went ahead and took it - who could resist - it would pay for the extras!

couldn't have been happier, within 3 days we were able to see our new room numbers and we only ended up moving 7 rooms back and to be honest after being on the cruise, I was glad, because as we observed that week, the closer you were to the middle, the more noise you get from the hallway, way too many people passing your room, I thought it was nice in the back!

Archived