How to plan a family reunion cruise

itzelm

I’ve used HAL, through a travel agent, for 3 family reunion cruises. They offered a wide range of activities for all age levels, have a lot of connecting cabins of all types (inside, outside, verandas, triples & quads, etc.)

They have an established family reunion package that upgrades the head of the family to a veranda cabin and a few other amenities.

If you don’t have an established time that you get together every year, you need to start planning a year in advance so that everyone can fit it into their schedules. Survey you family and get a feel for were they would want to go and when they wouldn’t be available. You’ll never please everyone, but this will give you a better chance of getting the most people to join you. And give everyone a chance to save up for it.

Go for it. It is well worth all of the work.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

I would pick a date and a ship, give everyone the info, and let them do their own booking and excursion arrangements. You can get together for meals on the ship, but during the day, do your own thing. If you try and do "group" activities, everyone will get frustrated---the faster folks will be antsy, and the slowpokes will feel rushed.

And, it will allow everyone to spend what they are comfortable with on their room and excursions--not everyone can afford (or want to spend) the same as everyone else!

Use a TA...I planned our last family cruise, which was for 17 people. I polled everyone to get a general time of year then found a good cruise from the port we wanted to use. Each couple/family was responsible for calling my TA and arranging their payments. She kept me updated.

Yes, you need to set some initial ground rules. Our cruise was on Carnival, and our only required "family" time was dinner each night. Everyone agreed and we really enjoyed visiting and sharing what we had done that day. There were a few little groups who got together to do excursions and ship's activities together or just hang out by the pool.

• Administrators
hi guys, does anyone have experience planning a family reunion cruise. How do I start? What do i do? Good cruises? Any input appreciated.

Thanks

In our case? Spend 2 months and dozens of hours researching. Present alternatives to the family. Answer one bazillion questions. Endure criticism of 1) week of sailing selected; 2) cruise line choices selected; 3) representative cabin category included... and so on.

Then let one of the more vocal family critics be elsewhere while you are trying to set something up, and come in at the last minute to kevtch and toss around "totally unacceptable" as a form of input. :rolleyes:

From now on I pick a TA. I will email everyone with when WE are cruising, and with what it will cost for them to join us. Hopefully at some point that will result in a family cruise. Otherwise life's too short and my blood pressure's too high for a repeat performance of the 2 months from hell.

Good evening,

What if it's a case of Grandpa footing the cruise line bill ? How does Grandpa reach the ultimate ''decision'' ( fair, as it's his dough....) without ramming it down everybody's throat ??:eek:

I'm curious, like the OP, as you figured by now I am the ''grandpa'' who's looking into a multi-generational cruise for the whole tribe in 2-3 years.

I'd really appreciate ideas from others ''golden aged'' cruisers who have accomplished the feat.:)

Yes, I know, you poll all involved as to available time and who just won't fly, preferences in ports and lines, etc..etc...but how about the trickier stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers;)

Every cruise line can work with a family rep or a TA to assist you.

I have had the responsibility on several occasions to do the grunt work. Timing is everything. Have a general idea of when you want to go. If there are children involved then you have already limited your options.

Is there a port of interest for your family? How long is too long?

Can your family members get to the embarkation port without undue stress? Encourage every family to arrive at the embarkation port a day prior to the cruise and start the party and the cruise in a great mood. Hotels have group rates too if there are enough of you.

Once you have a ship and itinerary selected then let the family members book their own cabins using the same cruise line rep or travel agent so that the reservations can be linked and the appropriate perks applied. There is no reason to be next to Aunt Bossy if you don't want to be.

Good luck

Good evening,

What if it's a case of Grandpa footing the cruise line bill ? How does Grandpa reach the ultimate ''decision'' ( fair, as it's his dough....) without ramming it down everybody's throat ??:eek:

I'm curious, like the OP, as you figured by now I am the ''grandpa'' who's looking into a multi-generational cruise for the whole tribe in 2-3 years.

I'd really appreciate ideas from others ''golden aged'' cruisers who have accomplished the feat.:)

Yes, I know, you poll all involved as to available time and who just won't fly, preferences in ports and lines, etc..etc...but how about the trickier stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers;)

What a nice Grandpa you are and what a great gift to your (hopefully appreciative) family. I'm not a "golden aged" cruiser but hope my comments may be helpful (as someone who would LOVE a grandpa to do this--unfortunately mine are all passed) I would get some specific info about cruises that would work for a multi-gen group (talk with a TA To help you figure this out if you need to) and get some specific times that it would work to go (if you don't give people parameters, you will get 613 different answers!) and present them to your fam. If you do it 2-3 years out, they should be able to work out their schedules. I would also set a price point on what you are paying for (type of room, tips, taxes, set amt for flights/excursions, etc, or whatever you decide) for each person and then if folks want more, they can upgrade and absorb the cost. I would leave it to each person/fam to make their own transportation arrangements to the port and would work with a TA to coordinate rooms, etc. Good Luck and hopefully more folks will come along with more ideas.

Good evening,

Thanks in advance

Cheers;)

Just like any other group cruise, you need to find a good TA to help you out. I think I'd pick 3 dates and give everyone a choice, the one with the most votes wins! A good TA can make up a brochure for you.

I'd also (if it were me) require at least a token deposit from each individual, so they don't throw the whole thing out like your money is worthless. You can return it to them in the form of onboard credits.

You have to understand what you think is a wonderful gift, there may be a few who just don't warm up to the idea right away. Don't force anyone into going, but leave the window for booking open for them, setting a final date months down the road. Once they see the majority of family is going, they may change their minds.

I've organized a couple family cruises, we have one coming up in October, although this time the group is a bit smaller. We each pay our own way, unfortunately none of us has the bucks to foot the bill for all :) I keep in touch by email and will at times snail mail some information to all. I don't make anyone elses reservations or air arrangements, I leave that up to them. Since we all pay our own way, I find it's so much simpler to use a TA...so you don't have to keep track of anyone elses missed payments or deposits.

We don't try to stay together as a group, we don't make any rules, if you miss dinner or breakfast it's all OK. We just enjoy each others company without any stress.

Good evening,

Thanks in advance

Cheers;)

If Grandpa is paying, Grandpa can do whatever he wants:D

Seriously, What a wonderful gift to your family!

What is the size and ages of your group? (Lots of small children? teens? young adults? etc)

If Grandpa is paying, Grandpa can do whatever he wants:D

Seriously, What a wonderful gift to your family!

What is the size and ages of your group? (Lots of small children? teens? young adults? etc)

Hi,

Kids in 30's ( oldest just turning 40),their partners:same; grandkids: 11 to 20. Granpa;closing in on 70 by the time this takes place .

They know DAD is on a S.K.I trip ( S pending K ids' I nheritance ),so they might as well help me by coming along for the ride.:cool:

My toughts are : we pay the cruise, they pay everything else; I'm happy so long as we meet for dinner as a tribe, whatever else anybody does during the day.

Cheers

;)

Archived