Help me plan our day in Boston

cruisinQ

It will be my dh's birthday so I want it to be perfect. He has never been there before and is a huge Cheers fan. We will be there on Sept. 30 from 10-7.( A Tuesday)

I would like to eat at Union St. Oyster for lunch and maybe do the duck tour. Going to both Cheers is a must and I would like to do some of the Freedom trail if possible.

I am at a loss for what order to do all this in. We have no problem with taking cabs if we need to.

TIA:)

Let me throw out some ideas and I'm sure others will chime in. I'm not sure what the second Cheers is that you want to visit.

Since you dock at 10 am, I would start with lunch at the Union Oyster House. I don't think they take reservations, so you want to be there before 12. Take a cab to Quincy Market/ Faneuil Hall. If you have not purchased your Duck Tour tickets on the Internet, there is a Duck tour booth in the market area. The Union Oyster House is a block from the market area, so you can wander around for a while and go to lunch. Note: there is a Cheers at Quincy Market

After lunch take a cab to the Museum of Science for the Duck tour. 2 pm tickets would work for you if you get to lunch at 11:45. You would be done the tour by 3:30.

I'm guessing your DH wants to have a drink in Cheers, so at this point you can go directly there by cab (I think the one you want is on Beacon St), or you can take a cab to the Old State House and walk the Freedom trail back to Boston Common. Cheers is on Beacon St on the north side of the common. If you're just walking you will get to Cheers in time for a pre-dinner drink. You should leave there no later than 5:45 to get back to the ship.

Just FYI - Cheers is considered to be a major tourist trap in Boston. Read about it on Trip Advisor so that you know what to expect.

I think Union Oyster is a big tourist trap also. There are two Cheers as mentioned above one is at Quincy Market and the other on Beacon St. The one on Beacon is the "original" skip the one at Market. I would get your duck tickets online asap as friends were disappointed that they were sold out when they went, however you are there on a tues and the kids are back to school so there probably will be a better chance. If you like Italian food the North End (near Quincy market) has fantastic food. When you get to town pick up a walking map of Boston as it is easily doable and marks the freedom trail. Boston is a fun city, you are going to wish you had a few days there. Have fun

I was just reading some other threads and I thought you might want to do the Old town trolley hop on hop off. They run frequently. They have about 17 stops. You might want to scroll and check out the thread

Thanks everyone. I know Cheers is a tourist trap but have to go anyway. I find the one at Beacon St. disconcerting since it looks just like the show from the outside but is totally different inside. While I have never been to the FH one, I think it looks like the TV set on the inside so I want to do both. Put them together and it will be just like LA!;)

I didn't know the Union Oyster was a trap as well. A friend recommended it. We would like a good oyster bar. Is the Kingfish Hall good? Their menus looks good.

I like the idea of doing lunch first and I will make ressies for the 2:00 duck tour.

As for the trolly tour, chances are nil that I will get my dh on one of those again. We had a bad experience in Key West. But thanks for the suggestion.

The whole area around Quincy Market is designed for tourists. If you are in Boston for 1 day and it's your husband's birthday, then I don't have a big problem with the Union Oyster House. You'll probably get as good a meal there as picking a random eatery at Quincy Market. You're going to go there to see Cheers anyway, so there's no point in going elsewhere to eat lunch.

An approximate one way cab fare from the pier to say, Quincy Market is $15 one way. The T (subway) it's $2.00 per person one way.

Here's the subway map. It's super easy to use the T.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Day passes are available too.

Day/Week LinkPass$9.00 for 1 day

$15.00 for 7 days

Unlimited travel on Subway, Local Bus, Commuter Rail Zone 1A, and Inner-Harbor Ferry.

I'm a big fan of the 'T' as well, but I find it a hard sell to cruisers who are in Boston just for the day. I don't think folks realize just how small Boston is and how easy it is to get around walking or on the 'T'.

Archived