Desperately need to be back aboard

4kitties

• 2 weeks later...
We are back aboard in less than a week, and will be onboard for another month. I so desperately need a vacation that I just may kiss the deck upon embarkation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p Oh to be back in paradise again.

4kitties, if I may ask on which of the triplets will you be cruising? In 2 weeks my Mom and I will be back on board the Spirit for 3 wonderful weeks!! Lisa :)

4kitties, if I may ask on which of the triplets will you be cruising? In 2 weeks my Mom and I will be back on board the Spirit for 3 wonderful weeks!! Lisa :)

Just got off the Spirit after 3 weeks Istanbul to Venice. 3 weeks without a cloud in the sky until Marco Polo ( one of the worst ) airport where it rained, thundered and lightened. Taking off was horrendous as was forecast for that area for a few days. It`s all about timing.:) Capt G-A, T-E, was in great form. :D

Just got off the Spirit after 3 weeks Istanbul to Venice. 3 weeks without a cloud in the sky until Marco Polo ( one of the worst ) airport where it rained, thundered and lightened. Taking off was horrendous as was forecast for that area for a few days. It`s all about timing.:) Capt G-A, T-E, was in great form. :D

We're about to do 2 weeks, Istanbul to Venice. Did you do any of the shore excursions on Istanbul - Piraeus or Piraeus - Venice and if so, do you have any to recommend or any to avoid?

We're about to do 2 weeks, Istanbul to Venice. Did you do any of the shore excursions on Istanbul - Piraeus or Piraeus - Venice and if so, do you have any to recommend or any to avoid?

Piraeus was a change over port and only offered Parthenon which we have done twice so stayed on board. Those who went cursed crowds and heat. Corfu, done before and Panorama probably best for new visitors. Bari went into town. Nice shops if you are in in morning.Then Kotor you do`nt need a tour as town is magic but get in early before the tours. Split is all about the Palace/Castle. Rovinj, pretty cobbled streets up to church and a nice marina with cafes and shops. Trouble with so many stops is shops and stalls selling rubbish, footballshirts, baseball hats and sunglasses. China rules. You will be in these ports at a less crowded time so thats a bonus but maybe not the weather which in last few days has been bad Venice to Rome. After 3 weeks without a cloud we left Venice airport in a violent thunderstorm. Good luck and bon voyage:)

In Bari you must take the excursion to see the trulli in Alberobello. They are unique in the world. (Do a google search for pictures.) Don't miss it, it's the only reason for the stop at Bari.

In Kotor, take the excursion to Budva and Kotor. A complete contrast of medieval and Venetian cities. Both beautiful. Hard to tell where the better pictures are.

In Athens, you have a long day. If you have been to the city before, hire George the taxi driver (georgetaxitours@yahoo.com) to take you to Sounion. We have used him many times and he is very reliable and gives an excellent tour. A day aboard at the pier in Piraeus leaves a lot to be desired. If you haven't been to the city, have George show you the sites. No matter how well-traveled you are, going back to the Acropolis is wonderful. So, there are crowds in Athens; there are also crowds in NY and would you tell a first-time visitor to the US not to visit NY?

In Dubrovnik, take the city tour and then walk the walls on your own. It should be cool this time of the year. If the forecast is for a hot day, walk the walls on your own early and then walk around the city on your own. The SB experience there is one of the best.

In Rovinj, if Seabourn still offers it, try the truffle hunting tour. Though you probably won't find truffles it is a wonderful experience. You drive about 45 minutes into the countryside, meet with a local truffle hunter and go into the woods with him and his trained dogs. Then you are taken on a tour of hillside towns with extraordinary views and are given lunch on the terrace of a hotel where every course is prepared with truffles (pasta, eggs etc.) Ii can still recall the aroma of the truffles as the dishes were placed on the table. You can do this tour in the morning and still have plenty of time in the afternoon to explore the town and climb up to the church. Also be sure to stroll along the water where there are many cafes and restaurants.

I too enjoyed the Truffle Hunting experience, but from a slightly different point of view. Since I was unable to tramp through the woods I was invited to sit with the family under the grape arbor (It was Sunday morning) and sip something akin to Drano while everyone else went into the woods. There was a young woman who had been learning English in school and so we had some interesting discussions. Having lived in Germany and not speaking the language at first, I was quite used to the conversations around me in a foreign tongue.

The walled town on the mountain where we had a lovely lunch was delightful and bought lots of lavender sachets in one of the shops.

Archived