Best Kusadasi/Ephesus/Sirince Tours?

I am trying to decide upon which tour guide/company to take for a full day tour with which includes Ephesus, Temple of Artemis, Virgin Mary's home, St John Basilica, see the rugmaking, handycrafts and market and also stop in Sirince? Also wondering if any stop in Sirince for lunch and possibly some wine tasting. Your recommendations very much appreciated. If you could describe your lunch on your tour too, that would be a bonus!:p Thanks!!

We used Ekol tours and were very pleased, we chose a 5 hour tour rather than a full day. We had a lady tour guide and a male van driver. 4 of us.

reasonably priced , they accepted dollars.

We visited pretty much everything you mentioned except Since? Not sure what that is.

We had lunch afterwards at a restaurant recommended by the guide.

Ekol is a tried and true tour operator used by many on this board. Ekol had 10 groups going out from our ship on our day in Kushadasi.

We just returned from our cruise and we very impressed with Ephesus. We used Sammy's Travel and had a wonderful day with our guide. His name was Ghengis and he did a great job. He took us to The House of the Virgin Mary, and of course Ephesus and the Terrace houses. He was extremely knowledgeable and had a nice comfortable van. We also went to lunch at the rug making business which was very interesting, the lunch was great for $5 a head but the purpose is to see you rugs and if you are not in the market for a rug (very beautiful and very expensive) then I would skip it. You feel very pressured. But anyway, Sammy's Travel was fantastic.

We used Sammy's travels and were very pleased. We hadn't planned on lunch but our guide asked us if we wanted to and we decided to go, we ate in a shady courtyard , we had appetizers of many kinds of vegeys, eggplant, beets etc, that were delicious and then chicken and rice and vegey's or skewers of beef and wine or beer for 13 euro each which also covered the guide and bus driver, We were very glad we had experienced this, we thought it was by far the best tour we did on our 20 day cruise.

we used ekol tours in Ephesus and were not very pleased. i think if you do a search on them you will find others who have used them and were not real happy with them either. i would try someone else. good luck...
What was it you weren't happy with? Anyone else with experiences?

What was it you weren't happy with? Anyone else with experiences?

From what I have read, Ekol can be a bit hit and miss with guides, some are better than others. Also, it seems, they generally pressurize you into carpet demonstrations etc.

I have booked a tour of ephesus with kusadasi.biz- has anyone dealt with them before? Seems very economical, does not require advance deposit. Maybe too good to be true?:confused:

I wouldn't know, but it seems to me that this post on this thread is an advertising post from them.

several guide and travel companies dealing with shorex. Ekol is one of the most experienced ones as you may see the testimonials on their site, some reference web site in these days are distinguishing on search engines, ephesus tours /com ephesus tours / org guess these are different companies.

the best hit goes to kusadasi.biz in google, their visual material seem like they are pros. i ve seen few feed backs about kusadasitours, too.

pgbern

I've also noticed you are looking for some-one for Katakolon. We were also there last week & used George. he was excellent. He will pick you up at the port and take you wherever you want to go for the duration of your visit. Olympia, the museum, the villages, the winery etc etc..anything you want to do. Check out his website for ideas. http://www.taxikatakolon.gr/content/view/1/2/lang,en/

I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

This site might be helpful for your Olympia tour too. You can print of the 'tour' information & take it with you. http://www.calvin.edu/academic/clas/pathways/olympia/

We have just used Levent Solmaz after he came came highly recommended on these boards. I must say we had an excellent day in Ephesus but will also warn you that although you may confirm a booking with him, he will sidetrack you to another guide if a more lucrative booking comes along in the meantime. You will not know anything about this until a few weeks before your departure. (This happened to us in Istanbul.)

My suggestion would be to try Kagan or Lale Kosagan. They are the ones I would now contact if I were to go again, although I suspect Ekol would be cheaper.

http://www.toursinistanbul.com/

We had an excellent guide in Ephesus through EKOL travel. His name is Inan Akpinar and he also works as an independent guide (inanakpinar@hotmail.com). We did Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses which are a do not miss!!) then went to Sirence village for wandering, lunch (on our own - had a crepe like pita filled with eggplant and a glass of local white wine - all great), followed by wine tasting with our guide. Then off to the Temple of Artemis for a brief stop. We then stopped at a leather store (our request) where DH got a great jacket. Nowhere was there pressure to visit a certain shop or to buy. At the end of the day, we stopped at the EKOL office to pay by VISA - the staff were all very nice. Bottom line - it was a great day!:)

We had a wonderful tour with HÜLYA TERZIOÐLU hulya462002@YAHOO.COM

We went to Sirince,the Temple of Artemis, a carpet factory which was a highlight of the tour -- but the most fun was the Hamam or Turkish Bath!!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

I think your program might be a bit ambitious to get all of those in a single day's touring. But ask Hülya she can help you decide.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We have just used Levent Solmaz after he came came highly recommended on these boards. I must say we had an excellent day in Ephesus but will also warn you that although you may confirm a booking with him, he will sidetrack you to another guide if a more lucrative booking comes along in the meantime. You will not know anything about this until a few weeks before your departure. (This happened to us in Istanbul.)

My suggestion would be to try Kagan or Lale Kosagan. They are the ones I would now contact if I were to go again, although I suspect Ekol would be cheaper.

http://www.toursinistanbul.com/

The same thing happened to us with Nejat Incedogan, booked him MONTHS in advance, and received a call from him a couple weeks before sailing saying he had to go with another group of travel agents, and he gave me a name of someone else to call. Instead of his suggestion, I called Kagen, and boy, was I glad I did. We used them for both Istanbul and Kusadasi, and would never book with anyone else now. He was absolutely great !

We used Ekol and were very happy. We wanted to be alone (2 of us) after several larger tours and we just wanted to go to Temple of Artemis and Ephesus. Picked up prompted; lovely new vehicle; driver and guide both pleasant and well-groomed. Our guide, Aman, provided excellent insight into the culture in Turkey as well as did an excellent job providing the historical background of both sites. Yes, he did want to take us to a carpet factory but we were firm and said No. We only wanted a half day tour and it was perfect. We booked in advance on-line and paid $98. in US currency. Review and photos in the links below.

Kathy:)

I wrote nearly all the recommended guides, and they all promptly and politely responded. The prices all varied. All were willing to accomodate our desired sights. We have booked with Bekir at Celsus Travel. I am sure all the guides are very good, as they rely on their reputation for their living. Thank you all for your help.

• 1 month later...
I wrote nearly all the recommended guides, and they all promptly and politely responded. The prices all varied. All were willing to accomodate our desired sights. We have booked with Bekir at Celsus Travel. I am sure all the guides are very good, as they rely on their reputation for their living. Thank you all for your help.

Could you report back when you return please? I notice Celsus Travel has received quite a few positive reports on Tripadvisor but there is very little on them here at CC.

Thanks. :)

Hello...

Your plan for the day sounds wonderful and I'm so glad to see that you've included Sirince in your itinerary. You won't be sorry!

Last year we visited the same places you're planning to go and lunch in Sirince was actually one of the highlights. In the lower part of the village there are several restaurants close together. If you tell your guide that you'd like to go to the restaurant at the very top of the village with the outside patio and view of Sirince, you'll find a restaurant that is so charming it looks like part of a movie set.

Our Turkish travel agent from here in California had actually planned our meal (told our guide what to order) and we had about seven courses of absolutely delicious food....light so not too much. I'm really sorry that I didn't think to ask the name of the restaurant; it's a bit of a hike to get there, but SO worth it!

Enjoy your time. This was our third time in Kusadasi and we're not tired of it.

murphysmum

We used Nejat Incedogan, also, and rave about his tour. He took us to all the places you mentioned (including Sirince which was worth the trip)...Make SURE you visit the Terrace Houses in Ephesus or you will miss a huge amount of info. It only takes another 15 minutes or so to "do them" and costs a few euros, but it's worth it. Nejat was a fount of information, had a comfortable van with driver, and used a mic so everyone could easily hear him in the van. HIGHLY recommend him for a memorable trip that will allow you to experience the area, the culture, and the history.

Jan

We were in Ephesus and Istanbul in May and used Kagan Kosagan in Ephesus and his associate Deniz in Istanbul. I did a lot of research before booking them and I highly recommend them. They were both very personable and spoke very good English. In Ephesus we saw most of the things you are interested in (except we chose to pass on The House of the Virgin Mary). Kagan was very willing to let us set our own agenda. He has worked in the Ephesus digs and knows many stories and has much interesting info. Do NOT miss the Terrace Houses, an extra 11 Euros each, I believe, but they are just amazing and very much worth it. He took us to lunch at a wonderful, out-of-the-way restaurant where we dined outside under the trees, with flowers and a flowing fountain beside us - a fantastic buffet of local dishes and very reasonable, 15 Euros each, I believe. Kagan is very much in demand and books up fast. We booked in Nov. for our May trip. Other than Rome, Ephesus was the highlight of our trip and Kagan and Deniz were our best guides.

Hello...

Your plan for the day sounds wonderful and I'm so glad to see that you've included Sirince in your itinerary. You won't be sorry!

Last year we visited the same places you're planning to go and lunch in Sirince was actually one of the highlights. In the lower part of the village there are several restaurants close together. If you tell your guide that you'd like to go to the restaurant at the very top of the village with the outside patio and view of Sirince, you'll find a restaurant that is so charming it looks like part of a movie set.

Our Turkish travel agent from here in California had actually planned our meal (told our guide what to order) and we had about seven courses of absolutely delicious food....light so not too much. I'm really sorry that I didn't think to ask the name of the restaurant; it's a bit of a hike to get there, but SO worth it!

Enjoy your time. This was our third time in Kusadasi and we're not tired of it.

murphysmum

Thank you for your comments! Can you remember what you ate? We are scheduled to eat in a local woman's home...maybe the guide's mom...lol! If that does not work out, your restaurant idea sounds great too! Where in CA are you? We're in north San Doego..maybe the agent is near us??

Just back from a week on the Splendour of the Seas. We had a fabulous tour with Kusadasi.biz. This company is run by a couple of vibrant and professional young men, who bring a sense of fun, as well as a love of their country, to their tours. Our guide, Emerit, who is also one of the owners, took 8 of us (a group which was put together from our conversations on Cruise Critic, consisting of 3 families - 2 children and 6 adults) and gave us a great day in Turkey. None of us had been to the port before, nor met each other before the cruise.

Our tour started at the Virgin Mary's house. There were a lot of pilgrims as our tour guide told us there would be. He gave us just enough time to tour everything and shop for a few souvenirs. Then it was back into the mini van.

Ephesus was next, which included a trip into the Terrace Houses (not to be missed). These ruins, including the Library and the Amphitheatre are superb. Our 9-year old daughter started off a little slowly (late night at the kids club the night before), but by the end of Ephesus the guide had her participating in everything. Again he gave us some time to explore on our own and take some Nikon moment shots (which he pointed out the best spots to do so). Anyone who goes to Kusadasi we HIGHLY recommend you do not miss Ephesus.

Then we were off to a wonderful lunch (included in the price) under a pergola, in an olive grove. I had never seen real olive trees and here we were in amongst them...it was a real thrill. Our guide had asked if we wanted to view a carpet demonstration and we had given our permission. We enjoyed our time there...it was actually a school where village girls learnt the techniques of this ancient art. Some of the members of our group tried their hands at tying knots and we got a real sense of the difficulty of carpet making. Although they were selling carpets none of us felt pressured to buy and actually remained carpet less upon our return to ship.

Our last stop was the Temple of Artemis. Again our guide indicated the best spot for picture taking all the while giving us the historical data of this wonderful site.

After that it was back to town and the end of our tour. We paid at the END of our tour in American dollars and it was well worth the money! I can't say enough about this company. We had a blast and learnt a lot about Turkey and would have NO PROBLEMS recommending this company to any of my friends!

Archived