Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

Judy, laughing. DH is planning on posting a review. I told him not to say he was my husband. He often calls the ship a boat. He should know better since he was a captain in the Navy.:D

I'm guilty of the same crime, sadly. I just always called it that, though of course, I do know it is a ship and not a boat. I guess for me it's a term of endearment ... I'm going out on the boat in a couple of weeks, etc. Ship just doesn't seem to convey the same meaning.

Blue skies ...

--rita

How about "mute" point instead of moot point?

Or taking a different "tact" rather than "tack"?

I had a supervisor once who was a decent guy, but sadly an idiot. His command of English was deplorable.

I'm gonna "mill" that one over ... instead of "mull." He said that in a staff meeting hosted by our VP of Information Technology. We all had to bite our tongues not to laugh.

He would absolutely agonize over a three sentence memo, he had so much trouble with English. It would take him the better part of his morning to write, and even then you could bet it would have at least one glaring English usage error.

It got to the point where I felt so sorry for him that I offered to check over his "memos to staff" before he sent them out. I told him that I was no English major, but maybe I could help him out a bit and save him some time.

He was eternally grateful. I just breathed a sigh of relief that he didn't take offense to my offer.

I guess we all make mistakes, but this guy lived by them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Gives you an idea as to where the provinces are; the area in yellow are the two "Holland" provinces

holland.gif

Thanks, John.

Which is the province about which the Officer could have been referring? He referenced that it was 'the last' or the smallest or something that distinguishes it from the others.

So, just to clear this up for me. If HAL calls my cabin a veranda aft, (VA) and it was really at the stern, do I say I have a stern cabin or an aft cabin? I guess I had an aft stern veranda cabin that I loved.
All stern cabins are aft cabins, but not all aft cabins are stern ones! Just like not all brandies are Cognac, but ... :)

Thanks, John.

Which is the province about which the Officer could have been referring? He referenced that it was 'the last' or the smallest or something that distinguishes it from the others.

Been thinking about that statement S7S and don't get it:confused: The smallest, in area, is Utrecht and the newest/last/most recent is Flevoland. Flevoland is basically all reclaimed land from the former Zuiderzee, now IJsselmeer

"Correct"

Like when you say to someone

"So the meeting is at 1pm?"

"Correct"

What are they my high school English teacher ?*LOL*

But then there are people like me, who despite their grammar skills:rolleyes: are completely unable to tell left from right, port from starboard, sometimes even up from down. With me, "correct" is always the "right" term to use lest you cause me to become hopelessly confused and lost.

Even after a week on the Maasdam I could never remember which way to turn to get back to our cabin. It's not that big.

I overheard a discussion re "aft cabins", when they obviously meant "stern cabins".

Rarely do I see posts re cabins at the stern, but often about aft cabins, which may be anything to the rear of your relative position. Aft is a direction, not a location.

Some would say it could be both.

aft [ aft ]

adverb,

adjective

Definition:

at back of craft: toward or at the rear of a ship, submarine, or aircraft

[Early 17th century. Shortening of abaft]

So, just to clear this up for me. If HAL calls my cabin a veranda aft, (VA) and it was really at the stern, do I say I have a stern cabin or an aft cabin? I guess I had an aft stern veranda cabin that I loved.

LOL...Actually you had a Stern Cabin if your verandah was on the Stern which is the rear of the ship...Aft cabins are between the Middle of the ship & the Stern..

For instance, looking at the cabins on Veendam,Statendam, Maasdam or Ryndam,

If we decide to book a "BA" on Verandah Deck, our first choice would be a Stern BA (220 & 205), followed by a Forward BA (105-127 or 122-142) & lastly an Aft BA (177-195 or 192-210)...

However, if we book an Outside "EE" cabin on "A" Deck our first request will be a forward "EE" cabin, rather than an Aft "EE" cabin..There are no "EE" cabins in the Stern.

Cheers...:) Betty

P.S. Don't Fret! My DH always calls the ship a boat & he knows better!..LOL

Archived