$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Gosh - have any of you actually eaten (tried to eat) the "free" steak in the dining room? I did - once - and that was more than enough. IMO they should have removed it from the menu years ago. No one is forcing you to order the $14.99 steak. Heck, lots of cruiselines charge extra for certain items in their PAY restaurants.

As with the no packing booze rule - it's their cruiseline and their rules - if you don't like them, cruise with someone else.

So, um, understanding sarcasm has not been addressed at the special school? :confused:

In my opinion we are witnessing the return of ole Parnami... especially now that the use of nickel and dime analogy has been played. Plus the new forum attack of calling anyone who doesn't march off to his crusade is now in addition to being a kool-aid drinker now we are members of the flat earth society. IE not only are we shills for the cruiseline, but we are just plain stupid. I do not mind being called names, but I do think that is the last resort to those who lack the ability and maturity to have an honest debate with others. Again, EFC, please continue to destroy your own credibility. I am up to 25,000 views already (I am pretty certain), and I do love when folks melt down for all the world to see.:D

jc

15 DOLLAR for STEAK!!!

man that is alot of money!

How bout I give you A Dollar Ninety Five

and you bring me some of the grizzle from last nights Prime Rib

Soaked up in Worchas... Wochhes...Lee & Perrins Sauce?:cool:

:D :D :D :cool: ROTFLMAO

now THATS funny...about time for a good laugh:)

thank you

dave

In my opinion we are witnessing the return of ole Parnami... especially now that the use of nickel and dime analogy has been played. Plus the new forum attack of calling anyone who doesn't march off to his crusade is now in addition to being a kool-aid drinker now we are members of the flat earth society. IE not only are we shills for the cruiseline, but we are just plain stupid. I do not mind being called names, but I do think that is the last resort to those who lack the ability and maturity to have an honest debate with others. Again, EFC, please continue to destroy your own credibility. I am up to 25,000 views already (I am pretty certain), and I do love when folks melt down for all the world to see.:D

jc

JC, I have had conversations with Parnami for years on another cruise chat room and EFC is not him. While drinking my kool aid, I have written RCL

thanking them for another choice from the alternative "strip steak" aka "ranch steak". They sat in the board room saying "lets buy good quality beef at about

$20.00 per pound wholesale and sell it for $14.95, that will help build ships".

JC, I have had conversations with Parnami for years on another cruise chat room and EFC is not him. While drinking my kool aid, I have written RCL

thanking them for another choice from the alternative "strip steak" aka "ranch steak". They sat in the board room saying "lets buy good quality beef at about

$20.00 per pound wholesale and sell it for $14.95, that will help build ships".

Yeah, you are probably right Don. It must be his brother.:D \

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but does anyone feel like we have fallen into a Johnny Rockets time warp!

jc

I've been sailing on cruises since 1997, exclusively on RCI (Royal Caribbean and Celebrity). It seems to me, taking my cruising experiences and combining them with other experiences (education, etc) that there is a shift in the target demographics of the company. There was a period of time when RCCL seemed perfectly happy to fill their ships with low-rev passengers in the hopes they would spend wildly onboard. Now it seems there is a desire to harness the vacation demographic who would perhaps otherwise be flying to Hawaii from the mainland US or to Spain from the UK, staying in a Westin or Hyatt for a week. (NOTE: RCCL is partly owned by the Pritzker/Hyatt conglomerate.)

The bottom line is we're likely to see LOTS of changes down the road as RCCL tries to maintain steady revenue in this economy and ultimately to grow the company partly because they are for-profit and partly to ensure stability if/when the Pritzker sell-off begins to liquidate their holdings in order to satisfy the lawsuit started back in 2003 by the then 19 year-old heiress Leisel Priztker who claimed to be owed over $1 billion in family inheritance. (Pritzker/Hyatt Breakup Plan ordered by judge.)

*sigh* to be a billionaire... ;)

Here's tonight's puzzle, 2112 (and of course the rest of the board is invited to play, too) ...

For years now, some CC members have eagerly - often gleefully - raised the notoriously one-sided cruise contract when jeering at cruisers who've come here to ask questions or make complaints.

In some of those situations, the responses made sense: A new cruiser balked because weather kept them from their Labadee stop, and they insisted they're entitled to compensation. Oh well, the contract clearly specifies that ports aren't guaranteed, and logic dictates that the cruise line would've been reckless to jeopardize passengers' safety ... and we can all understand the reaction to introduce them to the realities of cruising.

But many other times, the original posters' complaints are perfectly reasonable. Yet the Kool Aid Krowd is frothing at the fangs to trot out yet another odious and viciously anti-consumer clause in the contract, always with a snide attitude of "See, they owe you nothing, NOTHING! Just be grateful for whatever you got!"

And truly, I don't get it. Where does that slavish and often warped attitude come from?

What exactly do these people get from worshipping an exploitive document cooked up by a brigade of $1,000-an-hour corporate lawyers, designed to back middle-class customers into the narrowest legal corner imaginable? And all of it to protect the treasuries of billion-dollar, publicly traded corporations? And soley to keep average taxpaying, job-holding citizens from having any recourse unless those corporations commit premeditated violence?

What's the motivation?

- Anger at other cruisers?

Yes, I understand resentment against the other end of the spectrum. I, too, dislike the whiners who expect freebies, handouts, comps, upgrades and apologies for everything that occurs on board. But that's a very limited segment of the CC community, and the hostility toward them shouldn't extend beyond that.

- Personal profit?

Nobody here owns enough CCL or RCL for the day-to-day operations stuff to mean anything. Nobody. (Well, we might suspect a couple of corporate shills are here masquerading as customers - but that would account for two or three posters at most. Besides, the Kool Aiders fashion their arguments amateurishly, so it's unlikely they're high up on any cruise line's payroll)

- To feel ... superior? Powerful? Capable?

In a David vs. Goliath style struggle, honorable people generally root for the underdog unless there's great reason not to. Here, we have whole contingent that's shouting "You go, Goliath! Stomp him!! Harder!!"

If some of the boards were pro-wrestling matches, you'd be seeing the "Royal Caribbean can do no wrong" crowd cheering while the bad guy sneaks up with a metal chair and clocks the ref.

So the question remains: What's motivating the Kool Aid Corps?

I just dropped by and was intrigued that this thread was still going and had soooo many posts.. So, starting from the last page, I made my way forward and ran into your posts......

It's been so long that I don't really recall if I responded to this one or not - and am not about to weed through 500+ posts to find out (search never working right)...

But, may I say, that your posts are spot-on and funny as well, heck..... It's good to see that you have generated as much animosity as I have on occasion, being gored once in awhile for presenting a reasonable or factual point of view---but never as humorous......

I'm a fan, fer sure and, even though you won't ever get beyond those hard-core, put up with anything folks, you will provide encouragement to those who might wonder if there is any sanity on here at all.

Personally, I think charging for anything in the dining room is disgraceful - discounting beverages of course. It's simply the beginning of a trend that will, no doubt, grow. Too many people will order the damned piece of meat, pay the price and RCCL will say "oh, goodie, another revenue source".....then start charging for more and more items... The next thing you know....well, you probably already know.....

Don, I'm sure there are more than 10 who see no problem with RCCL finally offering a quality steak in the MDR, myself included.

WHY should people speak up if all you are going to do is call them names? Seriously if someone doesn't agree with you they are in "Fain's orchestral section" oh and your ever popular "snarling KoolAiders" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

###

The ego fest continues. :D Not to mention slander of RCI and the forum members. How many times are you going to post Kool aid drinkers krowd thinking that the forum mods are not smart enough to catch it? You have an axe to grind, and it is fascinating to watch you destroy your reputation.

I was taught that the crusades ended in the middle ages, but alas, there are still people trying to bring enlightenment to the savages. Thank you O crusaders of the truth for freeing us!:rolleyes: :D

Please continue, posting, maybe I will get to 30,000 personal views.:p

jc

jc, some of those views are mine :p I just can't stay away from all of this DRAMA...

###

This is turning into CC's version of "Lipstick on a pig!"

:rolleyes:

Sure, why not?

"Ya can put lipstick on that $14.95 steak .... but it's still a cheapjack flim-flam weasel scam pig." :)

Welcome to the original "$14.95 for STEAK???" thread, bringing us news of the world AND all the latest on corporate chicanery. Accept no substitutes.

(Especially if Fain tries to sneak 'em in at $15 a shot)

But' date=' may I say, that your posts are spot-on and funny as well, heck..... It's good to see that you have generated as much animosity as I have on occasion, being gored once in awhile for presenting a reasonable or factual point of view---but never as humorous......

I'm a fan, fer sure and, even though you won't ever get beyond those hard-core, put up with anything folks, you will provide encouragement to those who might wonder if there is any sanity on here at all.[/quote']

And a cheerful "happy Thursday afternoon" right back at ya, G'ma. :)

Yes indeed, ya can draw plenty of fire by mixing civility, fun AND truth. (And isn't it a grand time watchin' the other side huff, puff and run in circles?) ;)

Personally, I think charging for anything in the dining room is disgraceful - discounting beverages of course. It's simply the beginning of a trend that will, no doubt, grow. Too many people will order the damned piece of meat, pay the price and RCCL will say "oh, goodie, another revenue source".....then start charging for more and more items... The next thing you know....well, you probably already know.....

That's the truth!

And the more RCL customers who know, the fewer will get their pockets picked by this "choice."

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

To dwell on the quality of the beef and not the concept being tested is chasing a red herring. Using that logic, they could improve the quality of everything in the MDR if they just used better ingredients and charged for each item, so why stop with the steak? Maybe use artisan-cured ham and start charging $8.95 for the Eggs Benedict - and eliminate the "free" version?

Using hotel parlance, cruises are still using the American Plan. Perhaps a subtle move to the Modified American Plan is not that far in the future, where you get breakfast and lunch with your cruise fare but have to buy dinner. And say adios to no-fee room service. I think we've all seen the waste there, with untouched trays sitting outside cabin doors. This is a possibility which would be a fundamental change to cruising - one I would abhor. This may sound silly to some, but I've been told that at least one cruise line (not RCI) has considered it.

To dwell on the quality of the beef and not the concept being tested is chasing a red herring. Using that logic, they could improve the quality of everything in the MDR if they just used better ingredients and charged for each item, so why stop with the steak? Maybe use artisan-cured ham and start charging $8.95 for the Eggs Benedict - and eliminate the "free" version?

Using hotel parlance, cruises are still using the American Plan. Perhaps a subtle move to the Modified American Plan is not that far in the future, where you get breakfast and lunch with your cruise fare but have to buy dinner. And say adios to no-fee room service. I think we've all seen the waste there, with untouched trays sitting outside cabin doors. This is a possibility which would be a fundamental change to cruising - one I would abhor. This may sound silly to some, but I've been told that at least one cruise line (not RCI) has considered it.

You do know that on Princess (I have been told) that you can not get real hot food from room service.

The only thing that is constant in the universe is....

CHANGE.

Trying to stop change is .........

The way to have the most effect is not to post on Cruise Critic, but to take your vacation dollars somewhere else.

Boycotts are fundamentally against freedom... I, personally, value freedom more than I value a free cheap piece of meat. That is just me.... You all can sign up for the anti-freedom side if you really want to be on that side of the issue....

cheers

jc<---- still thinks the egos that need more attention than is healthy don't get it:D

My one and only post on this thread is to quote from the "Main Dining Room" section of the RCI website. It seems to me that this should have been changed before the $14.95 steak appeared.

"Costs

All meals (including coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) in the main dining room are included in the price of your cruise. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices."

My one and only post on this thread is to quote from the "Main Dining Room" section of the RCI website. It seems to me that this should have been changed before the $14.95 steak appeared.

"Costs

All meals (including coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) in the main dining room are included in the price of your cruise. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices."

Oh you DON'T want to go there...:eek: the verbiage is actually different depending on WHERE in the website you are... The brochure contains different verbiage as well... It actually states (in a few places on the website AND in the brochure): "most meals"

The same IT folks who screw up your cruise credits online are also responsible for the meals verbiage, BTW...

The only thing that is constant in the universe is....CHANGE.

Trying to stop change is .........

The way to have the most effect is not to post on Cruise Critic, but to take your vacation dollars somewhere else.

Boycotts are fundamentally against freedom... I, personally, value freedom more than I value a free cheap piece of meat. That is just me.... You all can sign up for the anti-freedom side if you really want to be on that side of the issue....

Where did I say I was boycotting anything? And please spare me the CHANGE mantra. That is banal prattle from a typical motivational seminar for wannabe managers two years out of college. Ditto the freedom lecture and the ad hominem usage of it.

I love it when someone posts something in this forum that is contrary to someone else's views, and the response from too many members is to tell them to not come here anymore.

I can't believe that this silly innocent thread has turned nasty and still going stong at 570 posts:eek:

It started turning nasty on page 2 from what I can tell. The reason it is still going strong is because it is a hot button issue with many of us who still consider the MDR as an oasis from the nickel-and-diming.

Archived