Do they still play "Anchors Aweigh" on pulling out of port?

novembre

When we took our last cruise, Home Line's Oceanic in the early eighties, the ship's band was on one of the upper decks and they played "Anchors Aweigh" as the ship started to move out of the home port.

It was a nice touch, and I'm wondering if they still do that these days.

Nov

We had the Love Boat theme played on the Grand Princess in 1999, before Princess stopped using that marketing line.

On the Carnival Victory in 2001, they just had some sort of monster truck commercial sounding thing playing with a deep voiced guy saying "You are about to experience 102,000 tons of blah blah blah..."

Never heard Anchors Aweigh though. Sounds more navy than cruise ship to me.

the last time i heard the tune played on a liner was seeing friends off in Southhampton bound for Cape Town in 1975 with all the trimmings, we were allowed to board had lunch with our friends saw them to their cabin and finally stood by the the ship on the pier with streamers and confetti raining down from the passengers. It certainly was not invented by hollywood but believe me all the emotions seeing friends or family leave with the band playing A A in the background, handkerchiefs waving lead to plenty tears. To this day on hearing the tune get a lump in my throat. Maybe a British cruise line tradition ? ( not the lump bit)

the last time i heard the tune played on a liner was seeing friends off in Southhampton bound for Cape Town in 1975 with all the trimmings, we were allowed to board had lunch with our friends saw them to their cabin and finally stood by the the ship on the pier with streamers and confetti raining down from the passengers. It certainly was not invented by hollywood but believe me all the emotions seeing friends or family leave with the band playing A A in the background, handkerchiefs waving lead to plenty tears. To this day on hearing the tune get a lump in my throat. Maybe a British cruise line tradition ? ( not the lump bit)

Don't know why Brits would play Anchors Aweigh (unless they were glad to be getting rid of a bunch of Americans). (I'm just kidding here).

Never heard AA on any ships I've been on. While it would make me proud (DS1 is in the U.S. Navy), it doesn't really set the mood of a pleasure cruise for me ;) .

We had the Love Boat theme played on the Grand Princess in 1999, before Princess stopped using that marketing line.

On the Carnival Victory in 2001, they just had some sort of monster truck commercial sounding thing playing with a deep voiced guy saying "You are about to experience 102,000 tons of blah blah blah..."

Never heard Anchors Aweigh though. Sounds more navy than cruise ship to me.

They still play the Love Boat theme on Princess - heard it only last month. ;)

No, not a British cruise line tradition only. We were on Home Lines (Italian) ships twice, sailing from the port of New York when they played it on departure.

And yes, the confetti, the streamers, and the handkerchiefs waving.....it was really memorable, and it comes to mind right away whenever I think of those wonderful cruises.

Too bad it hasn't been continued.

Nov

Don't know why Brits would play Anchors Aweigh (unless they were glad to be getting rid of a bunch of Americans). (I'm just kidding here).

Never heard AA on any ships I've been on. While it would make me proud (DS1 is in the U.S. Navy), it doesn't really set the mood of a pleasure cruise for me ;) .

It is called "rendering honors". There have been three different versions of Anchors Aweigh. Starting out as a fight song (the first) for the Army/Navy game to the official fight song of the Academy and currently a more generic unofficial all US Navy version, with nine verses. I am a retired Chief Petty Officer with 22 years of service.

It is called "rendering honors". There have been three different versions of Anchors Aweigh. Starting out as a fight song (the first) for the Army/Navy game to the official fight song of the Academy and currently a more generic unofficial all US Navy version, with nine verses. I am a retired Chief Petty Officer with 22 years of service.

Thank you for your service. My son is an Academy grad (I'm sure you had to "train" many of them once they came into the fleet ;) ) so I learned all about the history of Anchor's Aweigh from him.

But I still find it interesting that ship lines that sail under the flags of other countries--especially ones with proud sailing traditions like Britain and Italy--would play the U.S. Navy's song. But I don't mind :)

If I heard Anchors Away at Sailing,, I think I would be expecting to hear the GQ alarm and start Running around looking for Repair Locker 5!!!:D

I have heard it in odd situations.. At the mall on the Musack Station..

But never on a cruise line..

Archived