Baseball caps

I wear one outside to keep the sun off of my bald head. I wear it inside because if I take it off, I'll loose it and my head will get sunburned when I go back out. I wear it in the dining room because there's no where else to put it.

....and I sometimes wear it backwards to keep the sun off my neck (no redneck for me:) )

:D

Works for thinning hair too. Also I sometime keep my sunglasses on inside because I forgot to bring my regular glasses (no pockets in my Speedos;) )

"...wear it in the dining room because there's no where else to put it..."

I rarely wear a ball cap, the adjustable mesh ones do not protect my bald noggin from UV at all, nor do they protect my ears and the back of my neck (all area susceptible to skin cancer). I wear a Tilley, more protection, lifetime warranty, etc. But UV's can't get me inside, so unless I am "under arms" (that means packing a gun to you non-military types) the hat comes off inside. When seated, if there is not a vacant chair to place the hat on, and I can't hang it from my chairback by its chin/back straps, it goes on my knee...

On board the ship, they wear 'em in the dining rooms because the Maitre'D won't tell 'em to remove them. On shore they do it because they didn't learn that gentlemen remove their hats indoors.

They wear 'em backwards so that everyone will recognize them as dorks. When they wear them sideways its so everyone will know that they are dorks who like to be uncomfortable.

No one knows why they do it with a goatee.

HHAHA! That was good....

I can go one better..True Story.... At a table across from ours, a baseball cap on backwards AND a muscle shirt :eek: at dinner (not on NCL, and NOT a freestyle type cruise). A fine view of two hairy pits as this dweeb kicks back at the table and puts both hands behind his head to relax.....Needless to say my appetite went away quick. It was one of the grossest things, I've ever seen, cruise or otherwise.

OMG. You're lucky he didn't put his hand down his pants!!!:D

Let me preface this with saying that I was in the Royal Canadian Navy for a period of time, so am well versed in many forms of respect and nautical behaviors. But I really don't get why so many people see this as a black and white type of thing. Manners, dress, deportment and style have always been fluid. Just like language. Things change. Even traditions evolve. If we go back not too far in the distant past, there was a time when men were not seen without a hat on, and for the last couple of decades it has really not been too popular. But recently a lot of people have taken to wearing ball caps. Things change, get over it.

I remember hearing the story of the tuxedo, when it first came into being, there was a lot of fashion mavens up in arm over that. Now it is considered the height of fashion. Things change, what one generation considers good manners, or bad manners does not always reflect on the reality of the future, and it has always been that way.

Let me preface this with saying that I was in the Royal Canadian Navy for a period of time, so am well versed in many forms of respect and nautical behaviors. But I really don't get why so many people see this as a black and white type of thing. Manners, dress, deportment and style have always been fluid. Just like language. Things change. Even traditions evolve. If we go back not too far in the distant past, there was a time when men were not seen without a hat on, and for the last couple of decades it has really not been too popular. But recently a lot of people have taken to wearing ball caps. Things change, get over it.

I remember hearing the story of the tuxedo, when it first came into being, there was a lot of fashion mavens up in arm over that. Now it is considered the height of fashion. Things change, what one generation considers good manners, or bad manners does not always reflect on the reality of the future, and it has always been that way.

I have to agree, except that I have no navy or any type of military. I'm a 27 year old guy, who has all types of friends with styles.

with that said... at dinner, I think its somewhat of a point to take off your hat, but it also is kind of part of "style" nowadays. Also, as has been mentioned, simply ask someone to take it off? I find that you end up talking to the table you are at and if someone at a table next to you or on the other side of the ship is bothering you, I think you need to just relax and enjoy YOURSELF! If someone else has those manners, thats them.

And as for saying do they have a mirror with wearing a hat backwards? I for one don't do it, but you know what, plenty of people look just fine doing that, and why care? if they look dumb, laugh at them. People watching can be fun, gives me some of my best laughs of the day :)

when the baseball cap wearer puts it on the table! I would rather it stayed on the head than see it where food is placed.

BTW, on our recent Alaska cruise, there was one older fellow who always had a Russian fur trapper type hat on his head. One nite we saw him wearing it at the Summer Palace, but he must have been cued by someone to take it off, because the next time I glanced his way, he was bare (not bald) headed.

It is freestyle, and if some people have no class, manners or simple civility, that is their choice.

Freestyle means I can dress like a hick if I want and have no regard for anyone around me or what they think.

And, it means I think my sweats with the holes in them are comfortable and I am on vacation, so the heck with all of you!

This NOT what freestyle means.

And people wonder why there is such a lack of consideration and respect for everyone else, property, rules and regulations from some people!

Has anyone wondered why so many people think it is a good idea to wear baseball caps in shps' dining rooms? Or why a grown man would ever wear one backwards - have they no mirrors?

Never wondered myself, but it could be to cover a head that has a numerous skin grafts due to skin cancer. (know someone that this applies too)

Here you go, Tom...

A free tip, courtesy of the United States Navy:

When you wear a cap with a bill, remove it from your head when you enter a space that has a bulkhead (wall, for you landlubbers) on two sides and an overhead (ceiling). In other words, when you are "under cover".

Take the cap by the bill, and insert into your trousers' waistband at the small of your back, so that the bill is held in between your trousers and your shirt by the waistband, and the part of the cap that covers your head is now resting against the small of your back.

This cap stowage position is called: At the Carry.

Now, when you are indoors, you have a place to store your cap! :D

They didn't call us Officers & Gentlemen for nothing...

:)

Thanks. I'll take that under advisement. Actually, on our last NCL cruise, the maitre'd asked me to remove it when I came into the dining room, which I did of course. As someone else posted, I now wear a Tilley for the reason he listed (skin cancer). I usually remove it at dinner and put it on my knee.

On board the ship, they wear 'em in the dining rooms because the Maitre'D won't tell 'em to remove them. On shore they do it because they didn't learn that gentlemen remove their hats indoors.

They wear 'em backwards so that everyone will recognize them as dorks. When they wear them sideways its so everyone will know that they are dorks who like to be uncomfortable.

No one knows why they do it with a goatee.

Oh thank you. I loved that! :D

Fashion styles haven't changed enough that wearing a ball cap backwards is stylish. It still serves to announce to everyone that the wearer is a dork.

I am reminded of a story about Gen Norman Swarzkopf at a State Dinner. He was seated next to a frog who didn't feel the need to doff his cap at the table. the general pulled out his side-arm and told the guy that the hat was coming off! i don't know if its a true story, but I sure wanta believe!

Maybe the backwards hat isn't such a bad idea. If, at a distance, we can tell that you're a dork---- well we can be prepared and avoid you accordingly.

Having worked in a school for 18 years I can understand why people wear their hats indoors, their pants below their crack, oversize shorts, girls tank tops with bra straps showing (dirty no less). Unfortunately some parents don't take the time to teach manners or appropriate ways to dress. I taught my children this and in no way would I allow my boys to wear their hats indoors. My step-daughter didn't teach this to her boys and at my son's wedding and reception I was so busy I really didn't notice the grandsons. Wouldn't you know when the photos were developed there were the two boys with their baseball hats atop their heads.:( Oh, I failed to mention that these boys went to a private school and live in a town of about 800 people. Oh, Well.

On another thread it's ok to dress a daughter in goth looking formalwear to a formal dinner but it's not ok to wear ball caps when out in public.......

Well, those are dresses, you see. And (depending on the cruiseline) a dress falls within the bounds of appropriate/requested main dining room dinner attire on a formal night. So just because you don't like the style of the dress doesn't mean the dress isn't following the dress "code".

Fashion styles haven't changed enough that wearing a ball cap backwards is stylish. It still serves to announce to everyone that the wearer is a dork.

I am reminded of a story about Gen Norman Swarzkopf at a State Dinner. He was seated next to a frog who didn't feel the need to doff his cap at the table. the general pulled out his side-arm and told the guy that the hat was coming off! i don't know if its a true story, but I sure wanta believe!

Maybe the backwards hat isn't such a bad idea. If, at a distance, we can tell that you're a dork---- well we can be prepared and avoid you accordingly.

Interesting how our language varies from region to region: where I am from, a carbonated soft drink is called a "soda", around Boston it's called a "tonic", in the Midwest it is called a "pop". I am not familiar with the specific definition of "dork"; but, from the context, I would take it to mean "doofus".

Well, those are dresses, you see. And (depending on the cruiseline) a dress falls within the bounds of appropriate/requested main dining room dinner attire on a formal night. So just because you don't like the style of the dress doesn't mean the dress isn't following the dress "code".

I also said my son DOESNT wear a cap to the dining room. I just dont see what the big deal is wearing one on the ship............And some of those dresses are NOT appropriate for formal night!!

You are taking a hat/fashion choice argument and comparing it to shoving fettuccine alfredo into their mouth with their hands? Wow, way to compare apples to apples.

I'm sorry, I was looking at it as a question of etiquette. Proper etiquette requires the removal of a hat or cap when indoors unless one is wearing it for reasons of work (e.g., a painter) or for religious regions (e.g., a yarmulke). Look at almost any etiquette website or book; it is still (yes, still) considered rude for a man to wear a hat or cap indoors.

Check out these 8 tips for modern etiquette:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/299251/8_basic_etiquette_rules_that_everyone.html

I'm sorry, I was looking at it as a question of etiquette. Proper etiquette requires the removal of a hat or cap when indoors unless one is wearing it for reasons of work (e.g., a painter) or for religious regions (e.g., a yarmulke). Look at almost any etiquette website or book; it is still (yes, still) considered rude for a man to wear a hat or cap indoors.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/299251/8_basic_etiquette_rules_that_everyone.html

Thank you CruiseMom for posting this link.:) Now if people will just read it, learn from it and apply it in their daily lives, our society would be much better off indeed!:)

Thank you CruiseMom for posting this link.:) Now if people will just read it' date=' learn from it and apply it in their daily lives, our society would be much better off indeed!:) [/color']

Ok, so cruisemom, I apologize, and it was more that the original person I was responding to seemed to get annoyed by someone wearing "hick" clothes which is just absurd.

Still though, I understand not wearing a hat indoors, and that was never my point to go against, I was going against what people were saying for "hick clothes" and wearing a hat backwards. Both of which are FASHION choices for people and obviously doesn't ruin anyone's cruise or make someone a bad person, even if you may think that their choices aren't good.

also, that is a BOLD statement to say that if people read about etiquette our society would be much better off? Really? I know plenty of rude people who still have a brain, still know how to do their jobs, and still make a living. I can list a lot of other things wrong with our society than things like wearing a hat indoors :) . I happen to bet money that if everyone in the world started following those rules, we'd still have political issues, high gas prices, people losing their homes, jobs etc....

:)

Archived