Upgrades

I realize I stand the proverbial snowball's chance of an upgrade for my upcoming cruise, but I was just wondering. We're about 68 days out and there are still several suites and oceanview rooms available on the Splendour. If you do get visited by the upgrade fairy, do you receive any kind of notification? Is the online room information updated, or do you not find out until you arrive at the dock? Do you have a say in accepting the upgrade?

We're currently in an interior room on deck 6 about midship.

We received a free upgrade (thank you Upgrade Fairy!) on our 2006 Navigator cruise. I received an e-mail about 10 days out (already had docs and everything by this point) which included an attachment. I opened it, reviewed and everything looked fine except the room number. I went online and saw we had been moved to an OS! I called to confirm and then we did a HUGE happy dance (well dh and I, we didn't tell the kids and they found out when we brought them into the room!). It was VERY exciting and the OS was FABULOUS!

It can and does happen, but don't hold your breath waiting for it! Generally, IF an upgrade is yours, you will get 1 or 2 catagories above what you booked. Guarantee bookings tend to get upgraded before folks who book a specific room--and of course, diamonds and diamonds+ get upgrades before anyone else.

We were tablemates with folks who had booked a JS (like us) but were upgraded to an OS. (we took the tour--very nice!!!)

Other friends that we met thru M&M booked an inside cabin and ended up with a Deck 9 balcony!

We've never been lucky at all! We always book a JS and that's what we get. It's ok with us--a JS is lovely.

So, it does happen!

We just got upgraded yesterday and we sail Monday! Thank you upgrade fairy, you made my year. I had already recieved my cruise docs but recieved an email. As already stated I opened it up and there was my new room number deck 10 Jr suite! Whoo Hoo. Now if only the weather fairy shows up so we can enjoy it. Good luck.

The only time my DW and I were visited by the upgrade fairy was on of first cruise. We did not get any notification until we got to the airport and checked in for the transfers and low and behold out luggage tags did not match our room on their paperwork. We were confused it being our first cruise in all but we were excited when we learned what our new stateroom was. It was our honeymoon and we went from a E-2 balcony to a JS. We were so excited and thrilled. It was funny 2 of the other 4 couples at out table were upgraded as well to JS's. It was crazy. We can only wish now for another visit but never expect one.

Did the people that got upgrades book directly with RCL or thru an TA?

Does RCL only give upgrades to people that book thru them? Has anyone ever got an upgrade thru their TA?

I book through a TA and received an upgrade on my last cruise, but I booked a guarantee cabin.

For those who've been upgraded, what time of the year were you cruising when you received it? During hurricane / "off peak" season, for example, or during what I suspect is "peak" season (summer, when kiddies are out of school)?

For the person who is diamond and has never been upgraded, what time of the year do you typically cruise? I'm guessing peak season, but I have no clue.

Is there a correlation here?

What about asking, nicely, for an upgrade upon check-in? Is it ever free if you ask? Or are they only glad to say yes, you may have an upgrade--for a price? My wife and I only have carry-on luggage (we pack light); I know that's helped us get earlier standby connection flights--people who check baggage typically can't go standby unless their flights have been canceled. Don't know if this would help us for cabin upgrades.

I've booked an inside stateroom for an eastern carribean cruise that departs in late September--so it sounds as though we don't have much of a chance for an upgrade given that the cheaper Guaranteed Inside Stateroom folks would be upgraded first.

I was afraid to book a Guaranteed room because I didn't want to run the risk of ending up above or below a nightclub.

On the other hand, I like inside staterooms; I like the low price (money saved for future cruises); I love the total darkness for sleeping. And I just don't spend much time in my cabin. My wife and I have both lived in college dorms, so the size of an inside stateroom has never been a problem for us. The rest of the ship remains the same regardless of what cabin we choose. And I'm glad there are wealthy folk out there subsidizing my inexpensive cabin. Probably couldn't afford to cruise otherwise.

Balcony cabins sound nice, but I would hate to be near anyone smoking or near noisy neighbors. I've read balconies can be rendered useless for non-smokers when smokers are beneath them. I can well believe it. I once lived in top floor apartment and had a lovely deck. The problem was that my neighbor beneath me smoked. I'm not into preaching that people quit something they enjoy; but it was impossible to enjoy my deck when my neighbor was out puffing away on her deck--which was quite often. So maybe I'm better off not hoping for an upgrade. Still, it might be nice to see how the other half travel. :-)

Mike

We were just upgraded Wednesday from a Junior Suite to the Royal Family Suite. Since we now have two bedrooms, I was able to invite my aunt to join us. I am so excited. We will be on Adventure on Sept. 21.

We booked through RCL. This is my 7th RC cruise and my first upgrade. I usually sail in Sept/Oct.

For those who've been upgraded, what time of the year were you cruising when you received it? During hurricane / "off peak" season, for example, or during what I suspect is "peak" season (summer, when kiddies are out of school)?
My upgrade was on a cruise to Alaska at the end of May.

For the person who is diamond and has never been upgraded, what time of the year do you typically cruise? I'm guessing peak season, but I have no clue.

Is there a correlation here?

I am Diamond and this was my first upgrade and only 2 of my cruises were peak season.

What about asking, nicely, for an upgrade upon check-in? Is it ever free if you ask? Or are they only glad to say yes, you may have an upgrade--for a price? My wife and I only have carry-on luggage (we pack light); I know that's helped us get earlier standby connection flights--people who check baggage typically can't go standby unless their flights have been canceled. Don't know if this would help us for cabin upgrades.
If you ask at the pier and there is a room available, they will tell you the price to upgrade. It is definitely not free. And having checked luggage has nothing to do with it. They actually have set prices for pier upgrades (based on category you booked and the category you are upgrading to). However, pier upgrades are very rare as most sailings are completely full AND RCCL tries to upgrade people before sailing so they can sell the remaining cabins and they are more likely to sell a cheap inside than an expensive balcony. Diamond Plus members for example are offered upgrades a few weeks before sailing if there are a certain number of suites left available.

When the upgrade fairy visited us, we were Diamond.

I booked a Gty Suite online with RCCL,(their web site) in the month of Feb.

I booked maybe 3 weeks b-4 departure. I checked online to see what cabin they gave us and found we had the Royal Family Suite. Great cruise.

Good Luck! Hope you get a visit from that upgrade fairy!;)

I agree, we've had interiors and have liked them fine, but now that we've had a balcony the last 3 times, I think it might be hard to go back. When our kid was smaller the interiors were great - he'd wake up at 7 and we'd tell him it was still the middle of the night and he'd go back to sleep.

Yeah yeah parents of the year.

Smokers on balconies can be annoying, or you might have a Slitheen next door - and you know how smelly they can be!:) (sorry just noticed the OP's screenname)

Thanks WRP.

> However, pier upgrades are very rare as most sailings are completely full

> AND RCCL tries to upgrade people before sailing so they can sell the

> remaining cabins and they are more likely to sell a cheap inside than an

> expensive balcony.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation.

We were just upgraded Wednesday from a Junior Suite to the Royal Family Suite. Since we now have two bedrooms, I was able to invite my aunt to join us. I am so excited. We will be on Adventure on Sept. 21.

We booked through RCL. This is my 7th RC cruise and my first upgrade. I usually sail in Sept/Oct.

Just curious......when RCCL upgraded you to a Royal Family Suite......how many of you were booked in the JS? The reason that I ask, is that I think that it normally takes 4 persons to be able to book a RFS.

The upgrade fairy is alive and well!!

Congratulations on a wonderful upgrade!! :) :) :D

Rick

Just curious......when RCCL upgraded you to a Royal Family Suite......how many of you were booked in the JS? The reason that I ask, is that I think that it normally takes 4 persons to be able to book a RFS.

Rick it normally takes at least 5 people to book the RFS, but the closer you get to booking (such as after final payment), if it is still available they remove the minimum booking requirements.

We had 2 D1 balcony cabins booked for our cruise from Venice, one for me and my husband, and one for his parents. The middle weekend in August I went on the RCI website to see what cabins were still available and there were the 2 Roayal Family Suites! We phoned our TA and asked whether we could upgrade to one of them. We did so and also got a refund!! I know one of us couples will have the bedroom with no window but the rest of the cabin and the perks will well make up for that! So yes, you can book them for 4 people when they appear near to sailing time.:)

Went on a Western Med. Cruise in July with my niece. Since we were totally exhausted from our long flight to Rome and taking the train to the port of Civitivecchia, I paid no attention to the Cruise Card when it was given to me. I just went to the cabin number that was on my paperwork. I was surprised when I couldn't get the key to work so I went down the hall to talk to a room steward. He told me I was at the wrong room (I had booked a room at the front of the ship with a window). He proceeded to take me to our new room (the one that was listed on my cruise card) which turned out to be a BALCONY!!! We were so excited!! I told my niece to unpack quickly while I took a shower so they wouldn't say it was a mistake. :) But, when I got out of the shower, she told me, "It wasn't a mistake, something has been delivered with your name on it! Needless to say, we were thrilled!! :D We thoroughly enjoyed the balcony , mostly in the evening, but it was nice to have breakfast there or watch the ship pull in or out of port from it.

Archived