What to pack for Alaska?

mnbruce

We are sailing out of Seattle on the Oosterdam. I have a packing dilema. I have too many clothes that I would like to bring. If any women have suggestions on what they wore the most on an Alaska cruise recently any advise would be helpful for me to narrow down my choices. Thank you ~

We were in Alaska in September last year. We had mostly quite lovely weather, so we were lucky. My most frequently worn daytime items were black microfiber pants, a microfiber zipneck long sleeve top (worn over t-shirts for when it warmed up) and a fleece jacket. I had a goretex windbreaker I wore when it rained or I needed an extra warmth layer. I only brought 3 pairs of shoes for the 2 week trip--black satin heeled sandals for formal nights and a couple of the other evenings, goretex hiking shoes, and Privo maryjanes for casual walking on the boat and casual dining in the evening.

There are OODLES of threads about what to wear in Alaska on the Alaska board, as well as the fashion board, if you want more advice.

If you're leaving tomorrow shouldn't you be packed by now? :)

I've got three words for you, layers, layers and layers (and beanie, scarf and gloves). Alaska in July was cold and the summer has been a particularly bad one. Because you leave tomorrow you can check out the weather for the week at wunderground.com. Bon voyage!

We have been on a Alaska cruise in September. It was not cold but neither was it warm. I noticed that it rained a lot in Ketchikan and so I had waterproofed a few outdoor clothes and a pair of warm jog-pants. We went on a river rafting trip and, although the gear we were given to wear was supposed to be waterproof, it was not so good but better than nothing. My DH did have rather wet jeans after the trip but I was totally dry. However, as you it seems you leave tomorrow, you won't have the time.

I would recommend layering.

I suppose this does not help much! :D Sorry.

Have a truly great cruise. I am sure you will find it spectacular.

We were there in May.

What I wore a LOT:

couple of pairs of nylon wind pants

fleecy tops over long-sleeved T-shirts

Merrell sandals

rainproof hooded jacket (but it wasn't very rainy)

2 white cotton shirts

What I didn't wear at all

2 semi-fancy tops

2 pairs of slightly-nicer=than-casual shoes

2 pairs of cotton docker-type pants

2 cotton shirts.

What I wore sometimes :)

2 other cotton shirts

one fancy pair of sandals

hiking boots (for hiking, not for style)

long underwear

jeans

formal wear

a pair of black cotton docker type pants

socks, gloves

I know there's more that I didn't wear, but cannot remember -- sorry!

September -- we had rain and chilly weather.

A raincoat with a zippered lining -- we have gortex jackets. A couple of pair of slacks -- a pair of water proof shoes. We always take small umbrellas.

Dress in layers.

As for the ship -- interchnage a few items to make for several changes. One black skirt and a couple of fancy tops will do for the 2 formal nights. A couple of other nice outfits and you are all set.

We were on Westerdam last week and the ports were exactly the same as yours. Cruising through Glacier Bay was extremely cold (at least for me). I had on my sweatshirt, ski jacket,hat and gloves on. Juneau was sunny in the 50s. Sitka was rainy and felt cooler (upper 40s maybe) because of the rain. Ketchikan was sunny in 50s. Victoria was decent but we only enjoyed like 2 hours of clear sky before sunset.

I wore my ski jacket a lot when off the ship. As for onboard, I had mostly long sleeve top with a hoodie pair with jeans. Sandal or sneaker depending on what/where I'm heading. Obviously two sets of clothes for formal night. People dressed very casual on non-formal night. Definitely bring an umbrella.

Have Fun!!

We sailed the Oosterdam in Sept. of 2006 - what the previous posts have said is true - layers. But please - my best advice is to take advantage of the $12.00 all the laundry you can fit in the bag service that is provided on the Oosterdam. We actually bought a week unlimited package this past time in May of 2008 - I think it was $45.00. And WELL worth the cost! We lived in jeans, long sleeved tee shirts or denim shirts during the day on our excursions - just tossed a sweatshirt on top, then wore our raincoats and waterproof shoes. Only went to the dining room for dinner two nights - never on formal night, so we wore nice slacks and tops and did fine. Most nights we ate in the Lido - great food, waiter service, and you can wear jeans! We didn't wear half the clothes we lugged along. Next time (in 2010) I'm packing even less and will take full advantage of the laundry service.

Now go pack! Don't stress and pleasant dreams about your cruise tomorrow! I'm envious!:D

We went last year in late August/Early September and I can tell you that layers, layers, layers works. I'd take a warm hat, gloves and a little heavier sweater for any glacier expeditions. As to the ship, I wear comfortable clothing with a light wrap if I go up on deck and during the evening, it's "the usual" for any cruise ship and their dress code for that evening.

FYI: We sailed Regent Seven Seas Mariner last year to Alaska and am now looking forward to my first HAL sailing in February 2010 to the Caribbean! Enjoy Alaska - it is spectacular.

Just returned on the Amsterdam. I took the same route. The weather in Juneau was beyond our expectations It was partly sunny and in the high 50's. Take layers. Sweatshirts, hoodie, thermal shirt is good. a rain jacket , hat and gloves. During the glacier bay tour, you will need gloves warm jacket, hat on deck it was cold and windy. Sitka was sunny also, but we were told it was a blessing. On board the ship has a good temperature, you will need long sleeve shirts or blouse. No jeans in the dinning room, but you can dress casual nothing fancy. Formal nights I took a black skirt a two nice tops. I will be posting my review later, of the trip:)

We just returned from Alaska. It was cool and misty rain in all ports and at glacier bay. Didn't stop us from doing anything though. We are from WNY and you are from MInneapolis so we are both used to spring/fall damp,chilly weather. I wore a baseball cap, lightweight waterproof pants that I use for skiing over leggings, a t-shirt with a fleece and then wore my waterproof jacket over the fleece. When I got warm, I took off the fleece and tied it around my waist. I had a fanny pack where I kept, phone, camera and chapstick.

I wore my waterproof hiking boots in all 3 ports. I wore my sneakers to the fitness room on the ship.

It was a wonderful trip.

Just returned on the Amsterdam. I took the same route. The weather in Juneau was beyond our expectations It was partly sunny and in the high 50's. Take layers. Sweatshirts, hoodie, thermal shirt is good. a rain jacket , hat and gloves. During the glacier bay tour, you will need gloves warm jacket, hat on deck it was cold and windy. Sitka was sunny also, but we were told it was a blessing. On board the ship has a good temperature, you will need long sleeve shirts or blouse. No jeans in the dinning room, but you can dress casual nothing fancy. Formal nights I took a black skirt a two nice tops. I will be posting my review later, of the trip:)

Thank you wowomen for the info. I am on the Amsterdam this coming Friday. I will look forward to your review. Hope it posts before I leave. Weather.com says showers in all of the ports, but I am hoping for some time between showers while we are in port. In case your review doesn't show up before I leave, what were the best and worst things on your cruise?

Archived