JFK 4 hour layover

JanieCaper

I wouldn't chance it. I've got a 4 hour layover at JFK after my upcoming cruise and I plan to just read a book and relax. Of course, part of that time will be taken up by going through Customs & Immigration but it's still a pretty long layover. I wouldn't chance getting caught up in NYC traffic.

Unfortunately, in today's flying environment, most likely no. JFK is in the borough of Queens, & by the time you clear customs, & so forth, hail a ride to Manhattan, (about 30-45 minutes), you'll have to be back to check in again. Why not arrive at least one day prior? NYC is so excitng, with so much to see, it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

It'll likely take you anywhere from 45 min to 1.5 hours just to get into Manhattan. Same amount to get back. I've only been once, but cuz of traffic, going in to Manhattan took 1 hr and going to JFK took 1.5. NYC traffic is crazy. And I grew up in Los Angeles. I'd just plan on killing time at the airport.

You probably have time to get to Manhattan via AirTrain and then the subway. The whole trip would take less than an hour each way.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't do it. There are things that can go wrong and how much can you do in Manhattan in an hour or so? You'd want to get back in plenty of time to get through security and catch your flight.

Lew

No, don't do it. LIE into Manhattan is a nightmare especially in rush hour. You will also have to go through security again and JFK always has long lines. You can check out the souvenirs in the shops if you want something from the "Big Apple"

Is there enough time for me to go and see anything in New York City with the 4 hour lay over?

No, don't even consider leaving the airport. With security the way it is now, it could take you half that much time to get back in. Take a good book or a DVD player and just relax between flights.

I have to agree with everyone else - don't chance it. If your ship arrives back in Manhattan, it can take an hour to get to JFK from the ship. By the time you get through security (depending on which airline) you will probably have less than two hours to wait.

Have lunch at the airport and relax.

JFK is in Brooklyn. While there may be some interesting things to see nearby, like Coney Island or the New York Aquarium, the nightmare of getting in and out of the airport is just WAY to risky.

Actually, it's in Queens, but the rest of your comment is right on.

Archived