Does a connected balcony and interior cabin exist ?

CHAMPDDS

My sister's family just returned from a Carnaval cruise, and actually had a balcony room, and since they were on a corner of the ship, the kid's connected room was actually an interior/no window cabin...She said this made their cost a lot less for the 2nd room, and the room was almost cave-like, when they opened the connecting door.(It obviously had a hallway access door also)

I have scanned over some of the RCCL ships, but have seen nothing that resembles this set up....does anyone know if they exist on RC ships ?

David:D

My sister's family just returned from a Carnaval cruise, and actually had a balcony room, and since they were on a corner of the ship, the kid's connected room was actually an interior/no window cabin...She said this made their cost a lot less for the 2nd room, and the room was almost cave-like, when they opened the connecting door.(It obviously had a hallway access door also)

I have scanned over some of the RCCL ships, but have seen nothing that resembles this set up....does anyone know if they exist on RC ships ?

David:D

Yes. It's on every Voyager and Freedom class ship on Deck 9, last cabins aft before you hit the actual aft cabins. There is a pair on each side of the ship.

Or also on the Voyager and Freedom class ships you could book a balcony/large oceanview that connect. On the Freedom it would be staterooms 9520/9518 and 9220/9218, very forward on Deck 9.

Thanks for posting the deck plan, Merion Mom!

CCL has these cabins on their Spirit class ships, I think there are six sets of these per ship and they are in the very front of the ship. We tried this combo last month on CCL's Legend and we loved it! It was like having a balcony cabin w/two bedrooms and two baths. And, a lot less money than a family suite! Perfect for DH and I and our two teens. I would book them again in a minute, but, I like that on RCI they are in the rear. The front is a bit windy on the balcony and a bit too far from the food :)

We (Grandma, grandpa, daughter, son in law and 2 kids) have booked the 9220/9218 combination on the Voyager. This particular combination makes for a lower price for my daughter's family, no balcony in their room to worry about in terms of the children and access to a balcony and other room when the children are sleeping. It also gives us an extra sofabed in the balcony room so the girls can sleep separately if need be. On the downside, these cabins are at the very front of the ship and time will tell if the advantages of this combination will outweigh the potential extra motion up front. We're hoping for smooth sailing and minimal wave action! My husband is happy for the long walk to and FROM the dining room. He thinks he can eat more because he can walk it off!

• 3 years later...

If you want this set up book EARLY..I have been trying to book the balcony/OV since the WOW sale for our cruise Oct 2012 and they are already booked. Just a little extra, the balcony/inside aft are a 2/2 set up so a family of 5 would have to get the balcony/OV forward which is a 3/3 set up. Also, in addition to the balcony/OV on deck 9 there is one more on deck 10.

We have just booked room 9220on Independance next year and I've noticed this thread, I dont need to be worried about anything do I ?? Just wanting to check with the more experienced cruisers out there in cyber land :D

You don't necessarily need to be concerned. If you are in a room that connects to a "strangers" room, there will be a locked door between the rooms. Some cruisers say that it is not a problem and they never hear a sound, and other cruisers say that it was very noisy. I suppose this would vary depending upon who your neighbors are, and how quiet they are.

If you do not need a connecting room, and if there are other non-connecting D1 rooms available, you probably should consider switching. Your TA can inquire and make this switch for you, and as long as you do not change categories and stay with another D1, it doesn't cost anything to switch. This will reduce the risk that you'll have a noise issue through the connecting door. It will also leave the connecting combination for someone who needs to book the two rooms for a larger family.

Right, will speak to my other half, dont want to take a room when it could benefit a family set up. As usual this forum comes up trumps, thank you for the replies :)

I personally want to thank you for being so considerate. I have an awful time trying to find cabins for my family of 5 with small children. They are too young for connecting balconies and on our sailing the OV was available but the balcony was booked :(. We have ended up in the family OV, which is a great size room, but man I want my balcony :p. I am sure some family will be very pleased and I want to thank you, for them.

Just a side note, check prices before booking these or at least before you sail. We originally had the balcony/inside combo booked for our last cruise. About 2 weeks before sailing prices on the lower balcony cabins dropped so much that we actually saved $1200 by booking connecting balconies! We have older teens so didn't have to worry about the balcony, but other may.

I did try calling RCI to find out if they would do anythinng about the price since we really wanted to try to balcony/inside combo, but no deal. In the long run they hurt themselves because later the D1 balcony went down (not enough to make it worth our while) but still they lost $$ overall.

• 10 months later...

I recently booked a connecting D1 balcony and interior on Freedom Class aft. Looking all over for picture of video of this setup. Anyone stay in these rooms or know if some media exists somewhere? Interested in how the rooms are connected, club chairs or sofa, etc. Two adults and one child , seems like a perfect setup for a small family. Any reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I recently booked a connecting D1 balcony and interior on Freedom Class aft. Looking all over for picture of video of this setup. Anyone stay in these rooms or know if some media exists somewhere? Interested in how the rooms are connected, club chairs or sofa, etc. Two adults and one child , seems like a perfect setup for a small family. Any reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!

What are the cabin numbers?

We got the balcony room that connects with the interior cabin on Freedom as a balcony guarantee so not sure if someone just canceled or what. The balcony does have a little part that creates some extra room out there so in my opinion is the perfect set up for a family. We actually put the two chairs over on the extra part and had our steward bring us two loungers, it was awesome. I have posted pictures before but I'm not that Cruise Critic savy to find the link, so I'll look for the pictures again and see if I can figure out how to post them.

I'm pretty sure this is cabin 9396, if you click through the pictures you will see the balcony set up and the room with only the chair and where the connecting door is.

DSC_4104

I hope this link works

Very interesting. Never knew anything like that existed. Nice to know. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Archived