A few last minute packing questions...

meggie711

Will be doing my final packing this week, and wanted to clarify a few things.

Approximately how many wall sockets are in a regular cabin? If we wanted more than 1 thing plugged in at a time, I didn't know if we'd need a small power strip.

Do balconies and the curtain stay open on their own, or would we need something to hold either back with (seems like I heard about this before)?

Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid. Just nervous packing for my first 7-day cruise, and my first balcony room as well.

Any other packing tips or good suggestions (aside from having a good time, and not sweating the small stuff)? :) TIA

Bring a small power strip if you want to plug in more than 1 or 2 things at a time.

You don't need anything to hold open the balcony door or the curtains. RCCL has slider doors, unlike Carnival which is where the bungee cord recommendation comes from.

Hey Meggie, definitely take a power strip... one with surge protection is best IMHO.

The balc doors can stay open, tho it mucks up the air in that part of the ship causes quite an air tunnel if you open your cabin door. :eek:

2 swimsuits are always a good idea.

Other than your initial question... have a blast and enjoy the balc!

I bring a clothespin - just like I do to hotels just in case the curtains don't close all the way or for anything else that you need to close up. Nightlight is a great idea, too.

I never bring an alarm clock. Helps me to have no clue what time it is! I do take my watch for when we leave the boat and to get to dinner on time (wouldn't want to miss a feeding!) but other than that I don't care if it's 9:00 or 10:00 or 2:00 or 3:00! But that's just me.

Have a grand time on your cruise, I know you will !!:D

We just take a couple of those push on type lights, 1 for ea. side of the bed. They aren't so bright that they blind you in the dark and they take almost no room in your bag. We also ALWAYS take a couple of those paper car air fresheners for the bathroom. We just hang them on 1 of the hooks! Really can help in small spaces. A word of warning....you are going to LOVE the balcony. Remember to order room service to enjoy watching the ocean go by while you eat. We usually do this as we are pulling into a port...love the little pastries and a couple pots of coffee! Nothing like it, 1 of our favorite things on a cruise.

I never bring an alarm clock. Helps me to have no clue what time it is! I do take my watch for when we leave the boat and to get to dinner on time (wouldn't want to miss a feeding!) but other than that I don't care if it's 9:00 or 10:00 or 2:00 or 3:00! But that's just me.

I need that alarm clock for the last day!

There is one outlet over the vanity. We've never needed a powerstrip. Curtains stay open--no clips needed.

Have never needed an alarm clock--there is a clock read-out on the phone,and you can get wake-up calls, if you need one.

I use my phone alarm for the last morning (Up and at 'em early!!)

Y'all are awesome.. thanks so much for the good tips AND the well wishes! I've been at the ER all night, getting x-rays for my possibly fractured elbow. So, if anybody on the Mariner Sunday sees a girl with her arm in a sling, give me a holler! :o

One quick suggestion that my DW came up with... go to the grocery store and in the area with clothes washing stuff...clothespins, etc. buy a small plastic, over-the-door clothes hanger (less that $3). DW stuffs it in a shoe and puts it over the closet door to add an extra hanger in (or outside) the door. It comes in handy when dressing and the DW will not travel without it.

Have a great cruise!!!!

Definitely bring a power strip and backup batteries for your camera. I never bring an alarm clock or nightlight. I use my cell phone for an alarm if I have an early excursion and I turn the TV on if I need to go to the restroom in the middle of the night, which is very rare.

YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BALCONY! They are addictive. Enjoy your cruise!

Everyone seems to mention "Alarm Clocks", doesn't RCCL offer wake-up calls???

Yes, they do-- but I just like to have a clock around. A tip, though: I've noticed that electric (plug-in) clocks don't always keep the right time... something about the current onboard being a bit uneven. So I always make sure I bring a battery-operated clock (with fresh batteries, of course!).

I had a power strip with me and I was glad. I have a question. The vanity on the Explorer had two outlets and there was some kind of a razor hookup in the ceiling of the bathroom?? The cell phones wouldn't plug in at the vanity (the adapters had that small square block). Unless those outlets twirl around, there wasn't enough space between the bottom of the vanity and the plug because of the way the two prongs had to go into the outlet. Am I missing something? They worked okay with anything that may just have the plug on the end without the adapter. There were 3 of us on an inside) and with a power strip we plugged in the cell phones while at dinner for use while at port the next day and at night we plugged in our camera batteries (the Sony Ion ones).

Definitely agree on the clock. Battery operated and I even found one with a flashlight in case of emergency. I'm sailing Sunday too, hope you aren't in a cast, but either way I'm sure we will all have a great cruise! Looks like weather is on the mend in the Caribbean. Looking forward to my balcony TOO!

Archived