can you use Discover Card for your seapass account onboard??

marshabear

we are planning to use our Discover Card for purchases onboard...our seapass account...

then I realized I had better make sure RCCL takes this card for onboard use...(some places do not)

will they take Discover Card or should we plan on using another card, like Visa???

thanks!

Marsha

A quick look at RCCL website:

Q: How do I pay for onboard purchases?

A: All of Royal Caribbean International ships operate on a "cashless" system, meaning your boarding card, (also known as your SeaPass card), will be used as a charge card to make all onboard purchases. Normally to activate this SeaPass account, most guests provide a credit card, (American Express, Optima, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and Diner's Club), to have these purchases charged to at the end of their cruise. Additionally, the SeaPass system may be activated with traveler's checks, debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo, or cash.

EM

We use our Discover card for our sea pass all of the time. We have had no problems in 6 cruises.

I don't know where you are going, but a lot of the places in the Caribbean do not take Discover. We found that out the hard way, but luckily we had a Mastercard to use. But no problem for Royal Caribbean.

We always use our Discover card. There is no problem using it for anything dealing with Royal Caribbean. We have sailed 6 times with RC and have always use the Discover Card.

I did not look at where you are sailing, but a lot of places in the Caribbean do not accept Discover. We found that out that the hard way, but had a MasterCard to take care of the problem there.

Make sure that you call your cc company before you leave and advise them that you will be on a cruise and out of your normal spending zone. Don't want that cc denied when you board the ship.............it can happen and did to us one year when I forgot to call.:o Never made that mistake again.

We use our Discover Card every time for cruise purchases. In fact, we use our cash back bonus when booking cruises because RCI doubles you cash back bonus. I feel like the cash back bonus is free money because I don't have to do anything to get it other than use my Discover Card;) . And of course, I don't have a problem doing that!! I also NEVER pay interest on any credit card. The only thing is you have to book through their TA. I usually do my homework first by checking prices online. If there is a price drop, I just give them a call and it is taken care. So far it has worked out real well:D .

cruisenfever, thanks for the reminder...

we may be neighbors..where in NE ohio are you??

we live south of youngstown...

KDRCruisers...we paid off our cruise with a Discover Card (just wasn't sure if I could use it for seapass) but have our own TA..does that mean we don't get double cash back bonus??

Marsha

Always have 2 credit cards on a cruise. One, for your shipboard account (which you'll leave locked in your safe)--one to take shopping at ports! If you should lose the "port" card, your account on the ship won't be affected!

I'd put the account on your other card, and use the Discover for ports. Then, on the last night, change your account to the Discover card. They don't actually CHARGE anything until the cruise is over!

cruisenfever, thanks for the reminder...

we may be neighbors..where in NE ohio are you??

we live south of youngstown...

KDRCruisers...we paid off our cruise with a Discover Card (just wasn't sure if I could use it for seapass) but have our own TA..does that mean we don't get double cash back bonus??

Marsha

Hey there Marsha.............we live in Wickliffe just east of Cleveland which is not really that far from you.

Marsha,

Sorry I wasn't clear. I used my already earned cash back bonus from Discover Card toward a new cruise booking. This info is from Discover:

Royal Caribbean, 6-Nights

All Stateroom Categories

Redeem: $40 you get $80 Paper Certificate

Ocean view or Balcony Room

Redeem: $60 you get $120 Paper Certificate

Balcony Room

Redeem: $80 you get $160 Paper Certificate

Royal Caribbean, 10-Nights

All Stateroom Categories

Redeem: $100 you get $200 Paper Certificate

After you make your reservation through their TA. You order your paper certificate from Discover(first check to be sure how much cash back bonus you already have earned). You then mail you paper certificate to TA(keep a copy, just in case). They then take it off the cruise price. I just used $100/$200 for our next ten day cruise on the Grandeur. I also had a $50 discount from RCI and an upgrade to an OV plus $100 senior discount after original booking. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Archived