Tips for Central Park?

shancan911

We'll be in NYC the day before our cruise, and I know I want to go to Central Park. Does anyone have any good tips? How about a reputable tour company? What's not to miss? ~TIA~

My tip is to do it on your own and not use a tour company. Places not to miss are the zoo (enter the part at 59th and 5th avenue and walk directly to the zoo) and the merry-go-round. Frankly my favorite part of going to Central Park is not having a specific itinerary in mind. I just like to start walking and seeing where the paths lead. Each time I have been to the Park (and I have been there many times) I have discovered something new and exciting.

We had a 48 hour Gray Lines Hop on/Hop off bus ticket, and used that as our transportation around NYC. There are three different loops, all around NYC and Brooklyn.

We took it to Central Park, with commentary on the way (we passed JFK jr apartment, John Lennon apt, and to many other things to even remember) I'm not sure exactly what entrance we were at, but it wasn't too far from Tavern on the Green. There were carriages for hire at the Tavern, and we took a ride, it was great. And not too far from the Tavern, there is an area set up for Bocci ball (if you're Italian, you know what that is). And Tavern on the Green itself is an absolute must.

You could easily spend an entire day in Central Park and still not see it all.

Have a great trip!

We'll be in NYC the day before our cruise, and I know I want to go to Central Park. Does anyone have any good tips? How about a reputable tour company? What's not to miss? ~TIA~

This is the tour I mentioned in my earlier post. It is free and it is given by volunteers from Central Park. My wife and I went on this tour last September. It was wonderful. It was a very small group tour conducted by two extremely knowledgeable guides. We have been to Central Park many times on our own but found this tour to be wonderful as it provided lots of history about the park and the guides pointed out so many things that we had not seen on our own. I highly recommend it. And, if they charged a fee I would also recommend it. I am not recommending it because it is free. Rather because it is an excellent tour of the park. Here is the URL for the site.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=programs_walkingtours

Keith

Definitely check out the interactive map on the Centralark.org webpage. There are so many unique things to do in Central Park, like rent a rowboat, or a bike. Visit Strawberry Fields, or the zoo. I like to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is directly on the park. You can do both.:) The Egypt exhibit or the Impressionist Paintings are my favorites.

Thank you everyone for your ideas! I think we'll probably start off on our own. If DH enjoys it, I'll track down a tour, time willing. The one thing I want to do for sure is the carousel. Can't wait!

Just check out the maps or ask anyone and they'll point you in the right direction. You'll have a ball!

Archived