Med Cruise w/11, 8, and 3 YO in Oct 09 - Considering Dream????

sdfamily

Ok....I'm trying to find a Med. cruise at the end of October '09 that gets us back to the states by Halloween. Got to get that candy restocked!

Here are my options:

NCL Gem: R/T Barcelona - 7 nights - Malta, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes

- Mini-Suite w/Balcony plus inside across hall (DH + DS8)

- Two Oceanview rooms

Celebrity Century: R/T Barcelona - 7 nights - Cannes, Portofino, Florence, Rome, Naples

- Family OV Stateroom w/Veranda

Carnival Dream: R/T Rome - 12 nights - Naples, Venice (overnight), Dubrovnik, Sicily, Barcelona, Monaco, Florence

- Deluxe Oceanview (sleeps 5)

Believe it or not all of these are about the same price. I'm leaning toward the Dream since it seems like a really good deal for 12 nights.

My kids are pretty much 'under foot' most of the day and will most likely not spend much time at the kids club. The 3YO will probably spend more time at the kids club than the others.

I eliminated RCCL since the 3YO will not be able to go to the kids club. I also think they did not have an itinerary that worked for me.

Given that the med cruises are very port intensive, do you think that we will be OK in the oceanview on the Dream? We've had a mini-suite with a balcony on the Coral Princess this summer (actually two as the grandparents were traveling with us).

My kids were a little bored on the Coral Princess and, quite honestly, I was a little bored with the dining room by the end of the cruise. We went running towards a Chinese restaurant the minute we got off the ship in Vancouver. Am I going overboard on the 'fun' factor by considering the Dream? It seems like a great itinerary and a 'fun' ship.

Should I have any concerns sailing on a brand new ship? I think the first sailing is early September 2009. Will it be total chaos?

Thanks for your help!

I would not go with the first sailing of a new ship. There are little things that usually don't go right.

While I am not big on Carnival there are certainly advantages to a 12 day cruise when you consider the long trip over to europe. I am sure the kids would be fine with the cruise line and the ship.

You asked about the ocean view. How many of you will be in a cabin?

Keith

There would be five of us. Here's a link to a picture of the cabin:

http://carnival-news.com/2008/06/23/design-itinerary-details-unveiled-for-new-130000-ton-carnival-dream-largest-fun-ship-ever-constructed/deluxe_pullman_table2/

It's not exactly the first sailing, I think it's the 4th...I do like the itinerary.

Ohhhh... That's a hard choice!

We just sailed the GEM Med itinerary, and can say lots o good things about it. Mainly, we LOVED the Freestyle dining so that we didn't have to worry about rushing back to the ship at the end of the day to eat. I posted a review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post15674355

But--we have been "dreaming" about the Carnival Dream, and are hoping to sail her as well (Caribbean)

So---since the Dream has a longer itinerary, that might be your best bet.

Either way, I am envious you will traveling to the Med next year. We had a FABULOUS time, and would go back in a heartbeat!

CeleBrat

CeleBrat - I read your trip report and that's what inspired me for the Gem. The freestyle sounds great. We are a 'herd of turtles' when it comes to getting ready for dinner.

But, I agree, the 12 night itinerary is intriguing. I've been dying to visit Dubrovnik.

It's probably going to come down to where we can get tickets using miles. If we can go all the way to Barcelona with miles, we'll probably do the Gem. If we can only get to London and Paris and then have to purchase another flight, then we'll probably do the Dream.

How long did your kids take to adjust to the time change? We'd be coming from California, so it would be worse:=(

Dubrovnik is amazing...one of the most exciting and beautiful cities I have ever visited.

I would absolutely go for the longer cruise. The Med is about history , culture , stunning art and landscapes.....not so much about the ship(although I must say I thought the Carnival stateroom to be really cool!)

We sailed on the Summit in 2 inside staterooms and had an outstanding trip.The ship was great and the kids had a great time (They were 4 , 8 and 10 at the time!)

You will have so much fun. Go for 12 days.You are Europe!Savor it!

I am originally from California and my kids always have tadjust to 6 or 7 hours of time difference. They are really adaptable. Kids are so resilient. In 2 days they will be on a new schedule.

Kim

Archived