Port of Galveston?

KCE

A few thoughts. I have live ouside New Orleans my whole life (suburb). FEMA did better after Gustav, but certainly not good. They were painfully slow delivering MREs, water and ice. Our governor (he's awesome) was quite frustrated with them.

So why is the government supposed to bring you MREs and water? People know a storm is coming. Why don't they prepare for it? My son lives in the Houston area. He bought his own MREs and water. :rolleyes:

For the person that asked, if you get an extra day at sea, yes you are charged a day's gratuity. Why would another $10 or $20pp cause them a hardship? Unless they were like the lady on here earlier this week complaining that her bar tab was too high because of the extra seaday.

Dave

Excuse me I forgot that everybody online are rich. I guess I am the only person who know people who have to budget down to their last dollar.

Really what difference does it make since you can remove all tips anyway

Between BR and NOLA. We have suffered from Gustav and cruise in a couple of weeks on Conquest. I love New Orleans and hope we sail from that port as I wont have to worry about my car being flooded at least.

I too feel so sorry for southwest Louisiana. They have suffered much in that area and it is suffering to those who can afford it the least as the economy of La goes. Prayers for all going thru Ike.

You guys took a hard hit from Gustav. I hope you and yours are okay. Let's hope all these storms are done for the season.

Really what difference does it make since you can remove all tips anyway

Gosh I hope you never do that. I hope no one else would do that either unless you have a bad experience with service. These folks work so hard to make your cruise wonderful and depend heavily on their tips since their monthly salaries are so little. They do not work for USA minimum wages. Much less.

Snoozman, you need to stop relying on the webcams on Galveston.com when you keep saying the cruise ship terminal okay. The webcams have not updated since Friday morning at 10am. Unless you've got another source for your information stop telling people the cruise ship terminal is undamaged.

For those that were asking about the Strand go to www.chron.com and www.khou.com both those website have had pictures from the Strand area on their websites.

Gosh I hope you never do that. I hope no one else would do that either unless you have a bad experience with service. These folks work so hard to make your cruise wonderful and depend heavily on their tips since their monthly salaries are so little. They do not work for USA minimum wages. Much less.

all im sayin is if you can't afford the extra charges (because of budget)you can remove them.

:p

So why is the government supposed to bring you MREs and water? People know a storm is coming. Why don't they prepare for it? My son lives in the Houston area. He bought his own MREs and water. :rolleyes:

After they give you the okay to return to your home you still have no power or water. They want you to come back to begin the clean up of property and so they can divert the troops guarding against looting to other areas. The government will provide you ice, water and MRE's. Not everyone has the finacial means to buy their own for weeks such as in the lower parishes of LA. Especially when they have also lost their place of employment or source of income. It's nice to have after you spend the day cleaning out a freezer that would have feed your family for months and is now rotted and stinking. Nothing like setteling down to a yummy MRE!!! :rolleyes:

Clipped from this article re Galveston:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080913/ts_nm/storm_ike_dc

Galveston City Manager Steve LeBlanc said 17 buildings had collapsed on Galveston Island and that downtown was flooded and the causeway linking the island to the mainland had buckled. There were no reports of deaths, he said.

"People couldn't get in even if we let them," LeBlanc said.

Images here: http://www.click2houston.com/news/17466539/detail.html

Sorry I did not hire you to fact check my post!!:p I will from now on, can I have your email please?;) By the way your state is on my list of places to visit close by.

(just in case it does not come through in print...this email was written with a smile and sarcastic wit was intended)

I know it was. You have a sense of humor like I do. :D

Dave

Here is a link to a video of the strand by the cruise ship terminal.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/07/templates/listpop.html?vid=1785367273

Here is another report I found on the strand.

The Stand was flooded with waist-deep water late Saturday. A shrimp boat that broke from its moorings rested upright in a parking lot on Harborside Drive at 21st. Another fishing boat was wedged against buildings near the 19th Street pier. The metal masts and rigging stuck up above the water where another boat was submerged.

About six cars that had been parked near the pier were scattered in a parking lot. They lay twisted and crushed like smashed soda cans. Their windows were shattered or missing and their steering wheels were bent. A long plank had been rammed through the back window of one. A yard rake lay in the front seat of another.

I just read this online from MSNBC

Port to reopen Monday

The port of Houston, the nation's second-largest, was without power Saturday but expects to reopen Monday morning if power is restored and the Coast Guard finds no obstacles in the shipping lanes. Some empty cargo containers were blown about, but not too far.

"All the terminals did very well and we had only very minor damage, like fencing being blown down," said port spokeswoman Argentina James.

Port to reopen Monday

The port of Houston, the nation's second-largest, was without power Saturday but expects to reopen Monday morning if power is restored and the Coast Guard finds no obstacles in the shipping lanes. Some empty cargo containers were blown about, but not too far.

"All the terminals did very well and we had only very minor damage, like fencing being blown down," said port spokeswoman Argentina James.

That's the port of Houston not port of Galveston.

Houston does have the new Bayport cruise terminal that has never had ships cruise from it. This maybe a posibility.

Port to reopen Monday

I don't think the City of Houston is going to ready to support 3000 people who are getting off a ship and 3000 who want to get on. They also had a little thunder storm there today!!:p

I am not aware ot what Houston can support. I only know that was good news to see, & thought I would share what I read. How is Galveston going to support 3000 people in or out at this point? They arent letting anyone in and Carnival hasnt even announced where they are going. I dont believe all the damage has been reviewed yet. Its interesting there is more expert information on this site than in any newspaper or TV station.

Thats a crazy comment I've seen four ships in that port at the same time no problem.

Wow....I'm amazed.....and well I'm just speechless. Do you honestly believe ....I mean you can't really think that with things the way they are now......

No, ......no one could be that......no.....you can't be serious.....can you? Really???? You think that they could handle.......no .......no way can you be.....wow!!

I know that the lights are out in Galveston but in San Antonio too?.....amazing, simply ....OMG

Here is a thread that has info for the New Baytown Cruise Terminal contact info, directions and taxi company with phone numbers for anyone on the ship that may need it IF that is where Carnival ends up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16268342&posted=1#post16268342

Good option if needed.

Here is a thread that has info for the New Baytown Cruise Terminal contact info, directions and taxi company with phone numbers for anyone on the ship that may need it IF that is where Carnival ends up.

That area is very badly flooded as well - some houses completely gutted and of course no power. People in the area of the new terminal are just now able to see their homes, and that's with 6 inches of water still in them.

Archived