Port of Galveston?

KCE

Yeah, I think that is what they are wishing for. HOWEVER, all the support services need to be up and running as well: hotels, cabs, porters, all ship supports...

When Gustav hit, the city of Alexandria, La was closed for 3 days. Gas and Grocery were the only places open. And they didn't get hit even a fraction of what the Houston area took. My kids were out of school for 5 days. Some places in La STILL don't have power from Gustav! In Houston, between 2 and 4 million people still dont' have power (I've read both numbers). And they are still doing search and rescue in some places.

I think next week is truly wishful thinking.

I def. agree.

In Houston, between 2 and 4 million people still dont' have power (I've read both numbers). And they are still doing search and rescue in some places.

I think next week is truly wishful thinking.

One number (close to 2M) is the number of customers, the other (4.5M) is estimated number of folks being affected. Centerpoint (which covers all of Houston and a lot of the surrounding towns was at 88% of total customers without power as of noon today. Entergy which covers some of Montgomery county and other South and East counties has stated that they have had catastrophic damage and that their recovery will take 2 to 4 weeks, at least in Conroe. (I've been checking both companies for my son and a friend who are affected by the power outage.)

Perhaps next week they can make it to the new Houston Terminal. But I agree with you, Galveston is definitely wishful thinking.

Olga

Anybody heard what the damage levels in the area of the new Houston Cruise Terminal might be? Things were quite rough up that way too. That could mean a setback for the new terminal.

Homes directly across from the terminal had anywhere from 6 inches to total destruction. Shoreacres, as of late this afternoon was still not letting anyone in and was describing the areas destruction as catastrophic (sp?). Of course the terminal as a new build may have weathered better but from what I understand that entire area is without electricity.

DATE: Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:15 pm (CST)

PHA MESSAGE TO THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY

The Port of Houston Authority (PHA) is in an asset recovery mode.

Based on preliminary assessments, the PHA facilities have limited negative impact from Hurricane Ike.

As is most of the Houston area, PHA is without electricity and is operating with limited temporary power from generators.

PHA operations will not be open to receive trucks for drop offs or delivery on Monday, September 15 due to loss of electricity.

PHA is working with CenterPoint Energy to establish power as soon as possible.

PHA will update its status on the Web sites at www.portofhouston.com and www.phastatus.com by noon each day as recovery efforts are completed.

DATE: Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:15 pm (CST)

PHA MESSAGE TO THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY

The Port of Houston Authority (PHA) is in an asset recovery mode.

Based on preliminary assessments, the PHA facilities have limited negative impact from Hurricane Ike.

As is most of the Houston area, PHA is without electricity and is operating with limited temporary power from generators.

PHA operations will not be open to receive trucks for drop offs or delivery on Monday, September 15 due to loss of electricity.

PHA is working with CenterPoint Energy to establish power as soon as possible.

PHA will update its status on the Web sites at www.portofhouston.com and www.phastatus.com by noon each day as recovery efforts are completed.

I see you are on the Conquest 10-26-08 cruise as I am. Please post on our roll call with updates. My father lives in Shore Acres. He evacuated but I am concerned about his house.

I have sailed out of Galveston at least 8 times.

From the pics of the Strand, I have to believe that the majority of cars in the cruise parking lots have been flooded. I saw a helicopter video of the terminal today and the terminal was standing, but a large boat had been deposited in the roadway in front of the restaurants as you drive into the terminal. All the roadways around the terminal were covered in thick mud.

Galveston has no electricity, no water, no internet....nothing. Getting the terminal back in service will be many weeks if not months, in my opinion.

The Bolivar peninsula, which is to your left as you sail out of the channel is completely wiped out. There are only about 5 homes left standing out of hundreds that were there.

:p

After they give you the okay to return to your home you still have no power or water. They want you to come back to begin the clean up of property and so they can divert the troops guarding against looting to other areas. The government will provide you ice, water and MRE's. Not everyone has the finacial means to buy their own for weeks such as in the lower parishes of LA. Especially when they have also lost their place of employment or source of income. It's nice to have after you spend the day cleaning out a freezer that would have feed your family for months and is now rotted and stinking. Nothing like setteling down to a yummy MRE!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Kat. I am reading through the thread and was trying to figure out how to answer that one.

Even if the port of Galveston is ok, you still need the infrastructure to make it doable. I am willing to bet the hotels and restaurants in the area are closed and will be for a while to come. It takes a long time to rebuild after something like that. I remember after Katrina it was almost impossible to get supplies and even harder to find workers. I am going to be very selfish here and say I hope the Conquest stays here for a while and sails out of here. We could use the boost after Katrina and Gustav.

Here is a thread that has info for the New Baytown Cruise Terminal contact info, directions and taxi company with phone numbers for anyone on the ship that may need it IF that is where Carnival ends up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16268342&posted=1#post16268342

Galveston is a mess...The terminals seem ok, but everything around them is ick...

Carnival announced today they will be sailing from NO to the Houston Bayport Terminal with the Ecstacy arriving by Thursday and the Conquest arriving Thursday or Friday. They will be sailing out of the Bayport terminal until the Galveston situation is resolved.

As for the cars in Galveston - well if they were on lower levels of a parking garage - prep for water damage - if they were on a second level or above - probably ok. There is currently only one lane into and out of Galveston on the causeway. Probably won't have power and other services for some time to come - Galveston is a great city, I grew up going to our house on the west end of the island (thankfully survived) so say a prayer for the good folks in Galveston.

I drove by the pier/terminal yesterday during the "look and leave". The terminals actually look to be in pretty decent shape.

The cars, not so much. You could tell they had floated around in the parking lot and had been tossed around like bumper cars. There is a parking garage downtown that had cars in it and the bottom level was still full of water.

Just read this

The Port of Galveston plans to reopen for business on Monday and unload its first ship two days later, port chairman Gerald Sullivan said today.

The port expects to be able to accept cruise ships by Oct. 1, Sullivan added. Galveston ranks seventh in the nation in cruise liner business, according to city officials.

With the Port of Galveston closed, Carnival Cruise Lines moved its two Galveston-based ships to the Port of Houston's new Bayport Cruise Terminal this week.

Carnival plans to return to Galveston as soon as repairs to the port facilities are completed, Carnival President and CEO Gerry Cahill said in a statement....

heres the link.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6003905.html

progress.gif

Thanks so much for the pictures.

We'll be sailing on Voyager on 2/22/09. We're staying at the Hotel Galvez (hopefully).

Maybe we'll be in your line if you do the diamond plus line.

Mari Lynne

You're welcome. We are still planning on being up and running.

I don't think I'll be in the diamond+ line as I'll be in a different section this next year (pier coordinator)

You're welcome. We are still planning on being up and running.

I don't think I'll be in the diamond+ line as I'll be in a different section this next year (pier coordinator)

I also hope to meet you--what do you think of the chances of the Voyager docking in Galveston for the 12/14/08 cruise? If it isn't ready by then, do you think they will dock at Bayport?

Archived