Port of Galveston?

KCE

I was so looking foward to eathing at Gaido's in November.... I just love that place!

Very nice to see them having a shrimp boil, for all of the rescue personnel. Very nice gesture, as they could have just written off the loss....

I also hope to meet you--what do you think of the chances of the Voyager docking in Galveston for the 12/14/08 cruise? If it isn't ready by then, do you think they will dock at Bayport?

As of now, the Voyager should be in Galveston on time in December since terminal 2 recieved very little damage.

Thanks for the info. We are sailing on Voyager 2/22/09 in a group. We all have hotel plans two days pre-cruise and are planning some time for Galveston Mardi Gras.

Best wishes and good luck to you all in Galveston. Hope to sea you in February for a great Mardi Gras!

Rick and Deirdra

I was so looking foward to eathing at Gaido's in November.... I just love that place!

Very nice to see them having a shrimp boil, for all of the rescue personnel. Very nice gesture, as they could have just written off the loss....

Me too....I grew up in the area and always like to visit Gaido's when I return.:(

I was able to enlarge the satellite photos of the parking areas for the cruisers and the cars are strewn about the parking lot like match sticks. Cars on top of other cars, cars pushed up against the fencing. I cant see how every car in the lots will not be totaled.

please send me the site of the parking lot B I hear they were damaged and and I hear they are not . I need answers please:confused:

Erica,

Thanks for the pictures. They are heartbreaking. I hope your home is OK.

I spent lots of time growing up on the Island. My son went to A&M on Pelican Island. We need to get the word out when the Island is open for business, they will need tourist dollars. I love Galveston and I'm sure she will be back better than ever.

Take care and be safe.

please send me the site of the parking lot B I hear they were damaged and and I hear they are not . I need answers please:confused:

I took some photos of the cars from lot B. There somewhere towards the end of these photos

Some fantastic news! I get to go home on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took some photos of the cars from lot B. There somewhere towards the end of these photos

How is your house. Congratulations of being allowed back to the island. Looks like things are slowly progressing.

How is your house. Congratulations of being allowed back to the island. Looks like things are slowly progressing.

Thank you! We live in an apartment just behind the seawall. You can tell we had about 2 ft of water and it was flowing with some force. Mold had already set in when we got there, so I'm sure it's pretty bad now. The biggest problem is the sewage backup which smells terrible and everything it touched is destroyed.

Here are some pictures from the one day that Galveston residents were allowed back.

It shows a few shots of the port parking lots and terminal B (it's the one I work at).

Hi Erica,

I've been thinking about you guys and wondering if you made it through OK.

We finally got our power back on about 4:00 this afternoon. There was a ton of damage in our neighborhood, but thankfully we didn't suffer anything that can't be put back with a little effort and time.

I hope you are both doing as well as can be expected right now!

Cruiseloverandagent, thanks for posting the pics. You showed the traffic jams of people going into Galveston for the look and leave day and I was curious, does everyone go back on Wed or have they designated days for different people? I was just curious to see how they were handling this.

Thanks,

Lori

FYI - for Geico policyholders who parked at the cruise terminal. You should have heard this already but if your vehicle was left in Galveston, Geico is planning to tow all of their insured vehicles to a central processing facility where the claims adjusters (3500 of them flown in!) will process the claims.

I don't know how keys will be handled; my brother is local. Geico told him that he just needs to drop off the keys at a certain location and they will handle everything else. They also got him a rental car for use in the interim.

He has been back on the island several times in the last week and was parked near the cruise terminal parking lots - it's not a pretty sight. The island got hit hard.

Hey Cindy!!! I'm glad you guys are back up and running. We were thinking of you!

Texasgirl: Everyone that lives behind the seawall is allowed to go on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone else that was not behind the seawall is encouraged to leave the island by 6pm as they have no utilities etc. They are just going to open up the causeway and they are not doing any kind of staggered entrance (which could be a bad decision even though most people wouldn't heed it anyways). The mayor has been recieving a lot of flack for completely shutting the island off to anyone since the hurricane hit because everyone's damage is now worse. It's just good to be able to go home.

Ok, I wasn't sure how they would handle the situation. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I hope that all works out well for you and yours.

I heard this morning on the news that the people that were staying in the convention center in Dallas are getting to go home today. I think alot of them are from the Beaumont area.

Thanks for the info.

Lori

FYI - for Geico policyholders who parked at the cruise terminal. You should have heard this already but if your vehicle was left in Galveston, Geico is planning to tow all of their insured vehicles to a central processing facility where the claims adjusters (3500 of them flown in!) will process the claims.

I don't know how keys will be handled; my brother is local. Geico told him that he just needs to drop off the keys at a certain location and they will handle everything else. They also got him a rental car for use in the interim.

He has been back on the island several times in the last week and was parked near the cruise terminal parking lots - it's not a pretty sight. The island got hit hard.

I would like to know if the cars in lot B were actually under water

I looked at the pics and I seen the lot is there any way of knowing how deep the water and if the cars were damaged. I have a 2006 burgundy trailblazer with rims. with Arkansas tags I would like to know the status.

and what number do I call to get information.

I am glad you are back home and good luck

I noticed that The Spot Tiki Bar had its 2 webcams up yesterday. All the others are still offline.

I cannot even imagine what it's like to go through something like this. I read an article stating that some homes on the beach may be condemned as the changing of the shore puts them on public beach area. I never even knew about that law. Gosh, I sure feel for everyone down there.

Both webcams at The Spot are up today. A good sign, perhaps?

Fox News had a shot, very early this morning, of a miles long line of cars on 45 waiting a chance to get to Galveston. Let's hope they find the island in better condition than they expect...

Texasgirl: Everyone that lives behind the seawall is allowed to go on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone else that was not behind the seawall is encouraged to leave the island by 6pm as they have no utilities etc. They are just going to open up the causeway and they are not doing any kind of staggered entrance (which could be a bad decision even though most people wouldn't heed it anyways). The mayor has been recieving a lot of flack for completely shutting the island off to anyone since the hurricane hit because everyone's damage is now worse. It's just good to be able to go home.

We are not going until tomorrow. We have heard that the condo complex we have our condo did not receive any flooding so we thought it would be best to let the homeowners get in and check on their properties first. I feel sorry for the mayor, as I know it was a difficult task of deciding when and how to let the residents back on the island but I am afraid the delay has made the conditions far worse. What could have been salvaged now cannot. I am glad you are able to get home and I hope things will get back to some level of normalcy for you soon.

Galveston is our second home and this has been heartbreaking for us, I can't imagine what you are going through.

Hey Cindy!!! I'm glad you guys are back up and running. We were thinking of you!

I hope that you what you find when you go home not too distressing.

Thank you everyone!

I did go home to start the cleanup on Wednesday. I'm still living in Austin as there is no hotel nearby and my place is uninhabitable. I have until tomorrow to remove anything I want to keep and the apartment's contractors come through to start gutting the place. I saved some high quality furniture and clothes. My washer and dryer that were 3 days old when we evacuated were completely toasted. Literally. We came so close to losing everything in a fire. Our surge suppressor for one of our computers caught fire and melted.

I do have some pictures that I will post probably on Saturday. You can clearly see the line of cars.

Some great news... The island is way ahead of schedule for recovery. Debris is moving very quickly out of the way and everything is running fairly smoothly.

Thank you for all your support and I will keep posting updates as I get them!

Archived