Barcelona Language - Help

we are going to be in Barcelona next week for a cruise and will be spending a couple of days pre-cruise. Does anyone know anything about the Catalan language that is spoke there. Simple phrases would be great.

hello

thanks

etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi neighbor! (we're in Davidson)

I am sure you can google and find some resources online -- but if you have one of the DK Eyewitness Guides to Barcelona (full guide, 'Top 10', 'Pocket guide') there are a couple pages of phrases in the back of the book. You might want to head to Barnes and Noble and take a look at one of these books. In addition, the Top 10 and Pocket Guides have fairly detailed maps of the city.

We will be there just a couple days later as we sail on Century on the 29th. That is if we can get gas so we can drive to Atlanta to catch our non-stop flight:eek:

Enjoy!

Yes the pocket guide was very helpful--has the key phrases in Catalan.. basic Spanish will also help as well--

while some claim everyone speaks English that was not our experience so just the few phrases served us well...everyone so friendly & helpful in this city

Everyone greets each other with "Bon Dia!"

Rick Steves has a list of basic phrases for visitors to Barcelona.

From my DK Barcelona book in the Englis Catalan phrase section.

Hello---Hola

Goodbye---Adeu

Good night--- Bona nit (bo-nah neet)

Please--- Si us plau (sees plah oo)

Thank you--- Gracies

Excuse me----Perdoni

Hope that helps.

If you want some Spanish phrases, you can print this out http://www.linguanaut.com/english_spanish.htm

and heres some in Catalan

http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/catalan.php

To be honest, I can speak a bit of French and German and no Spanish, but we survived for 4 days with no problems. Barcelona is a tourist city, so at most of the 'touristy' places you will find someone who speaks English. Obviously it is nice to say things like hello and thank you, but I'd keep it to things like that. If you are planning on taking a taxi to a hotel, it would be best to have it written on a piece of paper so that you can show your cabby, rather than relying on broken Spanish!

Have fun

Simon

Archived