Family Suite Caribbean Princess Help!

Tika

We are a group of 9 adults and 5 children. Thinking about booking the Family suite for part of our group. I would love to hear from folks that have had this suite. All pros and cons would be sincerely appreciated. Also any other suggestions as to the other types of accommodations that might work for our family. Right now if we booked the FS we would still need 2 quad staterooms, 1 triple stateroom and 1 inside single. If everyone can manage enough vacation time we hope to cruise to the Caribbean next late July 2009.

This is a question I would ask my TA to sort out. The reason being that with this many people, you might be eligible for a group rate which would mean you'd possibly be able to book more cabins with fewer people per cabin. But, I don't know enough about it and your TA can advise you and sort out the pricing. There's so much to consider with your question, i.e., categories, 3rd and 4th passenger rates, etc.

Pam,

Thanks for your response............much appreciated!!!!!!!! I am working with a TA but had to change from RCCL to Princess because of family vacation conflicts. Princess itinerary and dates work better for everyone esp. the departing date on a Sunday which gives our son who lives in Denver with family easier traveling time to fly to NJ Saturday and not miss work etc. I have never cruised on Princess but have on RCCL,HA,Carnival etc. etc. and just want to get a feel for the staterooms especially the Family Suite etc. For the RCCLcruise it was cheaper to have a FS with 7 occupants (4 adults and and 3 children) then have the others in their separate staterooms which my TA proposed as 1 quad, 1 double & the 1 single for a bachelor son. Our group wasn't big enough to get a family rate as I understood but will check with TA. If we don't get a FS then we would need 1 double, 2 quads, 1 triple and the 1 single. Confusing for sure .......been here all day checking deck plans, all the stateroom categories, reading reviews etc.

We are sailing with our 3 kids next month and checked into the FS. Our TA told us that they are not a value; it's actually cheaper to get two mini suites side by side and open the balcony door to connect the cabins. For example; the mini we are in was about 900 pp and the inside for the 3 kids total was 1450. The family suite was almost 8000! There is no discount pricing for the extra people in the cabin. That's what I was told and verified when attempting different scenarios on Princess.com. We were able to get the kids an inside across the hall and chose no upgrades so that they are near by. I think you need at least 16 full fare paying passengers to get group rates; at least that's what it was last time I did a group a few years ago. Check around though because you get different rates from different TA's; we booked this cruise while onboard last year and when the Princess rep booked it through our TA, she couldn't believe how much lower his rate was than Princess's (plus he matched the Obc). Shop around

Hi there, I stayed in the family suite a few weeks ago on the Caribbean Princess. Nice cabin, we enjoyed the extra space and the kids loved their private cabin within our cabin. The 2 bathrooms came in handy with 4 women dressing for formal night.

There is a large balcony which we spent qite a bit of time but not that much as it was a canada/new england cruise not a caribbean cruise. It was perfect for 4 or 5, but 8 would be pushing the limits of comfort. How many people do you want to put in there?

it's not luxurious like a suite, it's identical to your typical mini with typical inside attached.

I'll post some photos for you later tonight.

Casshew,

Thank you so very much. Can't wait to see the pictures. We would have 4 adults and 2 children ages 2 & 4. I figure DH and myself would take the main BR and my son, his wife and their two children the inside BR. I think it has pullmans but not sure maybe you could verify. How was the ride for you???? Hoping to find other staterooms nearby for the rest of our group.

TA is checking out some other alternatives............basically for everyone to have their own individual stateroom.

Okay.... there are 2 family suites on the Grand Class ships. They are on the Dolphin deck , port and starboard the first balconies.

fs00.jpg

First the mini suite side.

Beds (can be made up as a queen)

fs4.jpg

Sitting area (2 sofa beds)

fs5.jpg

fs6.jpg

fs7.jpg

Mini Closet (tons of space)

fs1.jpg

Mini Cupboard & Safe

fs2.jpg

Mini Bathtub

fs3.jpg

and the inside cabin side

Beds (twins cannot be put together to make queen, there are pull down beds above each)

fs8.jpg

Looking towards door to mini sitting area

fs81.jpg

Inside Cupboard & Safe

fs91.jpg

Inside Closet

fs912.jpg

Inside Bathroom (shower only)

fs9.jpg

Balcony

fs94.jpg

fs93.jpg

We enjoyed the perks associated with this family suite, especially ordering from the dining room menus. Each day the new menu arrived for us to peruse :D

We also had chocolate dipped strawberries each day, you could chose from an assortment of canapes the evening before. (We always picked the strawberries), they were delivered during the day. Cross off 4 and write in how many you would like.

We also received VIP tender tickets, VIP immigration clearance, access to the Elite lounge for disembarkation, priority embarkation (but we didn't need it at the terminal was empty)

Free laundry, I loaded up 2 bags full of laundry and had them all cleaned before packing to return home.

Free Internet - we used it quite a bit and only paid the initial set up charge 3.50 or so per cabin (one time charge)

Our cruise was smooth sailing, nary a bump along the way. Honestly was very very calm.. the bow is not the most desirable of locations for heavy seas but that is something that cannot be predicted - I would not worry about it.

WOW!

Thanks for the pictures...............Suite appears smaller than I imagined. Nervous about being up on the Bow as we had a stareroom on another ship years ago way forward on the Bow and it wasn't a pleasant experience for DH. He really felt the rocking and rolling. It was an old small ship so I hope the Princess rides a whole lot better. Waiting to hear from our TA this afternoon. Anxious to see what she comes up with.

Are there two separate balconies????????

Anything else please let me know. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

No just one large balcony, 3 tv's,. 2 fridges, 2 safes, 4 single beds + 2 pull down beds + 2 sofa beds.

It is not that big and not luxurious. I don't think they should call them suites.

By the way they are rennovating the ship and adding some new suites without balconies. (windows only) The Princess fellow that came to our meet and greet called them 'Family Suites' and mentioned they would be good for people with young kids that were nervous about balconies.

Cashew,

Our TA came up with a really good alternative to the Family Suite.

A Vista Suite with everyones staterooms right next door or down the hallway. I am off to investigate this alternative. The Vista Suite would give us all one good size meeting ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tika, I hate to tell you this but the Family Suite is probably bigger than the Vista suite. The Vista suite is for 2 people, maybe 3 if you use the sofa bed.

The bathroom is much nicer though with a split bathroom/glass shower stall/jacuzzi tub and the balcony will have a proper table and chairs.

It's a VERY nice cabin to have, but it's not big enough for the whole family to visit at one time.

Casshew,

I think it will work with the balcony when we are in port and esp. with everyones staterooms so close.....one sons stateroom is right next door........and everyone else just down the hall................ we should be OK....................with the Vista . It would be nice to move up to a GS but for all the $$$$$$$$$$$$ so far and the fact that we are all on the same deck and close to each other really works.

• 3 weeks later...
No just one large balcony, 3 tv's,. 2 fridges, 2 safes, 4 single beds + 2 pull down beds + 2 sofa beds.

It is not that big and not luxurious. I don't think they should call them suites.

By the way they are rennovating the ship and adding some new suites without balconies. (windows only) The Princess fellow that came to our meet and greet called them 'Family Suites' and mentioned they would be good for people with young kids that were nervous about balconies.

Thanks so much for your descriptions and pictures. We had a inside for 3 and a minisuite for 3, and Princess offered to put the 6 of us in a family suite on the Crown. The information you provided was very helpful in our coming to the decision to take the family suite. I would never have paid for the family suite. I already have elite status, so the additional suite perqs are limited. But the other cabin is not, so it will be nice for them to get the suite perqs. I am also looking forward to free access to the thermal suite.

Thanks so much for your descriptions and pictures. We had a inside for 3 and a minisuite for 3, and Princess offered to put the 6 of us in a family suite on the Crown. The information you provided was very helpful in our coming to the decision to take the family suite. I would never have paid for the family suite. I already have elite status, so the additional suite perqs are limited. But the other cabin is not, so it will be nice for them to get the suite perqs. I am also looking forward to free access to the thermal suite.

Just remember the biggest con IMO to the FS is wind on the balcony when underway. :)

Just remember the biggest con IMO to the FS is wind on the balcony when underway. :)

Been there, done that. One time we were upgraded to one of the suites on the very front of the Diamond Princess. Great wrap around balcony--but quite a breeze when the ship was moving. On balance, we were willing to accept that for the additional benefits.

Been there, done that. One time we were upgraded to one of the suites on the very front of the Diamond Princess. Great wrap around balcony--but quite a breeze when the ship was moving. On balance, we were willing to accept that for the additional benefits.

For sure. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great photos! My wife and I will enjoy the mini and my DD and her 2 freinds will enjoy the other side. Is there a seperate door to the hall for their inside? They are all 16 and want their "independence" ( AND I dont want them coming through our room inthe middle of the night)

Thanks

Thanks for the great photos! My wife and I will enjoy the mini and my DD and her 2 freinds will enjoy the other side. Is there a seperate door to the hall for their inside? They are all 16 and want their "independence" ( AND I dont want them coming through our room inthe middle of the night)

Thanks

Yes, both the mini and the inside sections of the stateroom have a private entrance.

• 2 months later...

Quick tidbit for 2009 season....

We (family of 5 adults and a toddler) are sailing in the Family Suite on the Diamond Princess to Alaska in the FS in July 2009 and the posts here created a bit of a debate within the family about whether we got full bennies of deluxe suites or just the mini-suite bennies. As the debate continued, the brightest child (in this case only, of course) decided to go to the source....

"Beth" of Princess Cruses confirms the FS occupants get the full suite benefits (including laundry service and internet access -- not sure which is the bigger deal for a very internet-wired family who've turned a 7 day cruise into a 19 day adventure (including cross country by train on way to cruise and additional days in Alaska)....

And the perk of chocolate-covered strawberries and *never* to be underestimated.... :)

I stayed in a family suite before. I don't think they should be called suites as they aren't that nice. They get suite benefits though. I don't think they get booked much. I have heard over and over again as in my case of family's in two cabins getting upgraded to that cabin. Not an upgrade in my opinion.

Archived