formal night attire

ajj0624

As a recent convert to the formal dress side, I have a question for those in the "why should others care what I wear" camp. If someone across from you were chewing with their mouth wide open, reaching their hand into their pants to scratch themselves, or picking their nose (but immediately washing their hands, so there was no germ issue), would it bother you at all? How about eating their salad with their hands, or French kissing their companion for minutes on end while seated there?

Obviously, these examples are all far more extreme than not wearing a jacket, but they are all actions that shouldn't really affect anyone but the person doing them- except, of course, they do.

Are these things that you could "get away with"? Sure- it's unlikely that Princess would say anything. But does that make it ok?

Manners are the conventions that we, as a society, have adopted. Generally, you don't "have" to follow them- tipping an excellent waiter, saying "please" or "thank you", waiting in line, holding a door open for the next person, or dressing as requested- are all "voluntary", and very easy to not follow. But, I think the world is a little bit nicer when we do.

As a recent convert to the formal dress side, I have a question for those in the "why should others care what I wear" camp. If someone across from you were chewing with their mouth wide open, reaching their hand into their pants to scratch themselves, or picking their nose (but immediately washing their hands, so there was no germ issue), would it bother you at all? How about eating their salad with their hands, or French kissing their companion for minutes on end while seated there?

Obviously, these examples are all far more extreme than not wearing a jacket, but they are all actions that shouldn't really affect anyone but the person doing them- except, of course, they do.

Are these things that you could "get away with"? Sure- it's unlikely that Princess would say anything. But does that make it ok?

Manners are the conventions that we, as a society, have adopted. Generally, you don't "have" to follow them- tipping an excellent waiter, saying "please" or "thank you", waiting in line, holding a door open for the next person, or dressing as requested- are all "voluntary", and very easy to not follow. But, I think the world is a little bit nicer when we do.

I was with you until the "dressing as requested" part where we went our separate ways.

Nicely stated! :) :)

Archived