formal night attire

ajj0624

If a woman can wear a dressy pantsuit, why can't a man wear a dressy pantsuit.? Dress slacks, dress shirt and tie, and a vest. My husband would be happy to wear a vest instead of a jacket.Let me know what you guys think? We are in our fifties and are traveling with dd, sil, and grand daughter. My sil feels the same way. If he doesn't have to dress to the nines, but still look nicely dressed what is the difference. We live in NY and we do dress like this for dinner in the City.

I would make another post. I can guarantee that you won't see the same petty arguments that you see on this thread.

The whole point of the cruise is to enjoy yourself. And hopefully this hasn't turned you off of cruising.

AMEN TO THAT! Don't let anyone scare you off! Have a great time on your cruise, it's addicting! Once you actually board the ship, you'll meet some wonderful people! :)

If a woman can wear a dressy pantsuit' date=' why can't a man wear a dressy pantsuit.? Dress slacks, dress shirt and tie, and a vest.[/quote']

So glad you posted this question. I have often wondered why at least 95% of dress code threads obsess on men's clothing, specifically jacket and/or tie. Women have a much broader range of acceptable attire. Seems rather sexist to me.

We may not be typical, but ... between my wife and myself, she is the one who most dislikes packing formal. We have stayed with resort casual for the past few cruises and consciously chose to use the casual dining facilities on formal nights.

As long as he is dressed at least dressy casual he will have no problem!

I don't think there's any such thing as dressy casual. This is why the guidelines Princess publishes are needed. What is dressy casual? Pressed jeans? :rolleyes:

If a woman can wear a dressy pantsuit' date=' why can't a man wear a dressy pantsuit.? Dress slacks, dress shirt and tie, and a vest. My husband would be happy to wear a vest instead of a jacket.Let me know what you guys think? We are in our fifties and are traveling with dd, sil, and grand daughter. My sil feels the same way. If he doesn't have to dress to the nines, but still look nicely dressed what is the difference. We live in NY and we do dress like this for dinner in the City.[/quote']

I'm not sure exactly what living in NY has to do with it, but I would say if the restaurant you patronize also has a formal dress code (or however they phrase it) and what you're wearing there is appropriate then you're probably good with it onboard ship as well.

Personnaly, I would not take the advice of any posters on this forum regarding formal night dress code. Read the answer book - it defines it pretty well. If you want to disregard this then you take your chances. You may or may not get turned away at the dining room door - so - be prepared.

Ron

This from someone who has to get dressed up every day for work, and is part of the 40 and over crowd. When I get home, I want to get comfortable. You have to pay me to get dressed up.:)

The dress code I have used for all my cruising (and it seems to be acceptable, but not "exactly" what should be done) is as follows:

Non Formal Nights: Polo Shirt and Khakis

Formal Nights: Dress slacks, dress shirt, and maybe a tie

At the end of the day, a cruise is a vacation. You are paying a lot of money to enjoy yourself. Unless it something is truly offensive to the point of distraction (like the hairy guy in the tank top example above:eek: ), put on a pair of personal blinders and enjoy your experience.

This from someone who has to get dressed up every day for work, and is part of the 40 and over crowd. When I get home, I want to get comfortable. You have to pay me to get dressed up.:)

The dress code I have used for all my cruising (and it seems to be acceptable, but not "exactly" what should be done) is as follows:

At the end of the day, a cruise is a vacation. You are paying a lot of money to enjoy yourself. Unless it something is truly offensive to the point of distraction (like the hairy guy in the tank top example above:eek: ), put on a pair of personal blinders and enjoy your experience.

Amen !

In our group of 8 (me and my wife, my parents, my in-laws and my son and daughter), all of the women enjoy getting dressed up, and all of the men shudder at the thought of getting dressed up. It's just not something that any of us really enjoy.

During the last "formal dress" thread I saw here, I asked my wife why should it matter what other people wear. It's not a judgmental thing- that the people who are dressed up are "better" than the others or something- but it's a "mood" thing. There is a certain feeling going to a place where everything is nice- from the decorations, to the food, to the way people are dressed. But the mood is broken by inconsistencies, whether it be a Velvet Elvis on the walls, the waiters serving McDonald's hamburgers, or other guests dressed in jeans.

It really did give me some new insight into the formal fan's mindset, and a lot more sympathetic. So, as much as I would rather avoid wearing a jacket and tie, I'll be wearing one for sure- and we should at least get some nice pictures out of it.

Be warned - on some ships you may get turned away from the formal dining room if the Maitr De is doing his job. I have seen it happen. If this ever happens - do not blame Princess.

Ron

In our group of 8 (me and my wife, my parents, my in-laws and my son and daughter), all of the women enjoy getting dressed up, and all of the men shudder at the thought of getting dressed up. It's just not something that any of us really enjoy.

During the last "formal dress" thread I saw here, I asked my wife why should it matter what other people wear. It's not a judgmental thing- that the people who are dressed up are "better" than the others or something- but it's a "mood" thing. There is a certain feeling going to a place where everything is nice- from the decorations, to the food, to the way people are dressed. But the mood is broken by inconsistencies, whether it be a Velvet Elvis on the walls, the waiters serving McDonald's hamburgers, or other guests dressed in jeans.

It really did give me some new insight into the formal fan's mindset, and a lot more sympathetic. So, as much as I would rather avoid wearing a jacket and tie, I'll be wearing one for sure- and we should at least get some nice pictures out of it.

Are you referring to wearing jeans on a formal evening? If so, I can agree with your comment but doing so on a casual evening is an acceptable dress.

On "Formal Night" while on the Star 3 men in their 20's came to dinner wearing kahki shorts and t-shirts and they were not turned away! So... my question to all of you is... has anyone actually seen someone turned away for dressing inappropriately? :rolleyes:

On "Formal Night" while on the Star 3 men in their 20's came to dinner wearing kahki shorts and t-shirts and they were not turned away! So... my question to all of you is... has anyone actually seen someone turned away for dressing inappropriately? :rolleyes:

Yes, several times, particularly for no jacket on formal evening. But it is, as others have said, inconsistent.

The Star is only one ship out of several in Princess Fleet. The Maitre De or Headwaiter was obviously not doing his job. As I mentioned earlier wear what you want but be prepared to be turned away.

Ron

Be warned - on some ships you may get turned away from the formal dining room if the Maitr De is doing his job. I have seen it happen. If this ever happens - do not blame Princess.

Ron

Thankfully this is Princess and not Crystal, so the chances are more than likely that this won't happen. Unless they show up in shorts and a tank top, then they're just asking for it.

The Star is only one ship out of several in Princess Fleet. The Maitre De or Headwaiter was obviously not doing his job. As I mentioned earlier wear what you want but be prepared to be turned away.

Ron

Carry you jacket over your arm & nothing will ever be said on any Princess ship. After passing the "check point" hang it on the back of your chair or put on a tux & enjoy your meal fully dressed. The choice is yours.

Carry you jacket over your arm & nothing will ever be said on any Princess ship. After passing the "check point" hang it on the back of your chair or put on a tux & enjoy your meal fully dressed. The choice is yours.

And - you are sure of this because??

Have you been on all the ships, all itineraries, have this knowledge because you have talked to all the Maitr Des and Headwaiters in the Princesss fleet? You are a busy person and I thank you for the absolute factual information no matter what the Princess answer book says. I am really impressed.

Ron

And you have been on EVERY Princess ship in EVERY dining room to know this is correct? When you make a statement that NOTHING will ever be said, then you're talking nonsense - again.

Really?

I have seen someone carrying a demin jacket, and they were sent packing.

Why draw the line at hairy men in tank tops? Why should hairy men who choose to ignore the dress code be treated differently than you who choose to ignore the dress code (I’ll assume you’re not hairy)? Isn’t that a little discriminatory? I personally am not in any way offended by hairy men – in fact I kind of like ‘em. If we’re going ignore the interpretation of the guidelines in the dining room, I see no reason to exclude hairy men in tank tops. Why is ignoring the formal guidelines by not wearing a jacket and tie any different than ignoring them by wearing a tank top?

This is why guidelines are needed – without them everyone has their own interpretation of what is acceptable and no one gets the evening that they want. And the bottom line is that even those who don't dress formally have a minimum they are willing to accept, throwing the whole "it's your cruise, do what you want" argument out the window.

Right – it is a cruise vacation and you’re paying a lot of money to enjoy yourself. When I spend a lot of money, I make sure I’m buying what I really want. If I didn’t want a couple of formal nights on my cruise, I’d choose another cruise line.

Thank you.

On "Formal Night" while on the Star 3 men in their 20's came to dinner wearing kahki shorts and t-shirts and they were not turned away! So... my question to all of you is... has anyone actually seen someone turned away for dressing inappropriately?

Yes - and more than once on more than one ship. But Princess does expect us all to be adults - they publish guidelines, they post signs at the dining room doors, they put dress guidelines in the Patter - they really shouldn't have to be babysitters at the dining room door. It's a little boorish to totally ignore all of the messages being sent about appropriate dress, don't you think?

Seems like a childish way to get around the guidelines. I mean if you're going to ignore them, ignore them outright. The game playing doesn't do anything to support the anti-formal argument. And for those who claim that they don't want to pack formal clothes, carrying a jacket doesn't help them either - what choice is that? If you pack it you might as well wear it.

I have seen it several times. On formal nights, there usually is some form of cocktail party where you can see what others are wearing and the great majority are dressed according to guidelines. Once in a while, you might see a man in a dress shirt and tie without a jacket, but it is rare. The usual dress for casual nights are dockers and a polo shirt.

When I said "Carry you jacket over your arm & nothing will ever be said on any Princess ship." it didn't mean a denim jacket by any means & yes they'll never say a word on Princess if you have a jacket with you. This procedure covers you getting into the dr & they'll never say a word once seated. Of course I haven't been on every ship but when & if the day comes that they tell me I have to have a jacket-There it is. No one says it has to be worn.

This procedure has worked for over 20 years so why would it not be acceptable to Princess now since the dress code is even more lenient?

Until the offer the same food in the buffet I'll continue to dress in the least acceptable way required to dine in the main dr whether the others like it or not.

Archived