formal night attire

ajj0624

Until the offer the same food in the buffet I'll continue to dress in the least acceptable way required to dine in the main dr whether the others like it or not.

:rolleyes: Thank you for being so considerate to your fellow passengers - it really is admirable. Hopefully they won't step on your toes during your cruise by doing something you don't feel acceptable - after all, it's your cruise to enjoy.

Seems like a childish way to get around the guidelines. I mean if you're going to ignore them, ignore them outright. The game playing doesn't do anything to support the anti-formal argument. And for those who claim that they don't want to pack formal clothes, carrying a jacket doesn't help them either - what choice is that? If you pack it you might as well wear it.

Childless perhaps, but it works for me. I not there to impress anyone & couldn't care less if their dinning enjoyment doesn't come up to expectations because of what I ware or don't ware. That's their problem. My meal tastes fine either way.

#1. I do not enjoy dressing in a jacket in order to eat dinner.

#2. If I didn't have the jacket I might not gain entrance to the dr & therefore be banished to the buffet for the lesser quality food.

#3. I've got the lightest weight wrinkle proof jacket I could find which suits the cause.

:rolleyes: Thank you for being so considerate to your fellow passengers - it really is admirable. Hopefully they won't step on your toes during your cruise by doing something you don't feel acceptable - after all, it's your cruise to enjoy.

You're certainly welcome.

#1. I do not enjoy dressing in a jacket in order to eat dinner.

NCL, Oceana and I'm sure a host of other cruise lines offer just the product that you are looking for. As your friend feebs says, you pay a lot of money for a cruise - seems silly to waste it on something that asks you to do something you don't enjoy.

Best of luck.

NCL, Oceana and I'm sure a host of other cruise lines offer just the product that you are looking for. As your friend feebs says, you pay a lot of money for a cruise - seems silly to waste it on something that asks you to do something you don't enjoy.

Best of luck.

I don't sail NCL for various reasons, food not being one of them.

Oceana cruises is to expensive for my tastes.

I feel that Princess fits my pocketbook & other than the dress thing it fills my expectations just fine. I can overlook all the people who want to dress in suits & gowns and won't let their appearance ruin my vacation.

If you could suggest a cruise line which would offer the Princess style cruise at the same price without the dress suggestion I would be more than willing to give them a try.

Why draw the line at hairy men in tank tops? Why should hairy men who choose to ignore the dress code be treated differently than you who choose to ignore the dress code (I’ll assume you’re not hairy)? Isn’t that a little discriminatory? I personally am not in any way offended by hairy men – in fact I kind of like ‘em. If we’re going ignore the interpretation of the guidelines in the dining room, I see no reason to exclude hairy men in tank tops. Why is ignoring the formal guidelines by not wearing a jacket and tie any different than ignoring them by wearing a tank top?

This is why guidelines are needed – without them everyone has their own interpretation of what is acceptable and no one gets the evening that they want. And the bottom line is that even those who don't dress formally have a minimum they are willing to accept, throwing the whole "it's your cruise, do what you want" argument out the window.

Right – it is a cruise vacation and you’re paying a lot of money to enjoy yourself. When I spend a lot of money, I make sure I’m buying what I really want. If I didn’t want a couple of formal nights on my cruise, I’d choose another cruise line.

Wow ..... you must be looking to fight with people. Partially quote my message and take it out of context so you can be angry. Ok.

1. The hairy man in the tank top example (from another user) occurs in the theater, and was meant to be an example of what might be far enough out of the norm to be noticed.

2."The dress code I have used for all my cruising (and it seems to be acceptable, but not "exactly" what should be done) is as follows:

Non Formal Nights: Polo Shirt and Khakis

Formal Nights: Dress slacks, dress shirt, and maybe a tie"

was my original quote, and not a tank top on formal night (do not know where that leap came from).

3. I cruise Princess because it is not overly formal, has anytime dining, and is generally a good value with a decent level of passengers.

And I just wonder, are you honestly saying that your formal night would be ruined, and you would be that upset, because you saw someone not wearing a jacket at dinner? Because that is the conclusion I reach by your response to my post.

I must just be too easy going.

If you could suggest a cruise line which would offer the Princess style cruise at the same price without the dress suggestion I would be more than willing to give them a try.

Do I get your travel agent's commission? If you're asking me to do the work of researching cruise lines for you I think that's the least I should get.

From what you post, you in fact don't like the product Princess presents - the Princess style cruise comes with formal nights and/or casual alternatives. Neither seem to fit your criteria of an acceptable cruise. The fact that you can break the guidelines and get away with it doesn't change the product that Princess offers.

In addition, the level of quality that is presented by Princess is there because of the formal nights and the less than casual atmosphere on board - when you put the whole product together, you get something more than what NCL offers. When you ignore the formality, you're telling Princess you don't care if they don't keep up their standards. Casual dining is fine with you. You're happy with the fare offered by Applebys and Denneys...and at the Horizon Court buffet.

I'm sure any good Travel Agent would be more than willing to earn their commission by helping you to find something you'd be comfortable with.

Before 1998 I only knew about the cruise experience from TV and movies. I must admit that my perception that cruising was expensive and that there was a strict dress code kept us from even looking in to a cruise.

Then a friend became involved in a new cruise travel agency and found us a good deal on Holland America. Wanting to be respectful to my fellow cruisers and so not be out of place I rented a tux, took a sports jacket and lots of 'smart casual' wear.

We had a great time. It changed the way we holiday and I would never do an all-inclusive again. We have great pictures of our tablemates and ourselves on formal nights in our tuxes and cocktail dresses. It was a treat to have professional photos taken in clothing we rarely wear.

I admit that since that cruise I have not taken a tux but have always worn a dark suit and tie on both formal nights. I enjoy coming back from a day on shore or sitting by the pool and showering and getting all dressed up for dinner. I don't wear suits at work so I have no problem making this special effort on my holiday. We enjoy getting our formal photos taken, going to the captain's welcome party and walking around the ship in a more formal atmosphere.

I recognize of course that not everyone is like me. Unfortunately perhaps due to some mild ADD I am distracted (and aggravated) by every person who walks in to the formal nights in a polo shirt and dockers. But this is my problem not theirs.

Formal nights and even smart casual are part of what makes cruising special for me. If they weren't I would be happy at an AI drinking as much as I could and wearing the same clothes for a week.

Cruising has changed - even in the 10 years I have been doing it and definitely from the years before that.

Luggage restrictions by the airlines are making it harder to pack the extra clothing that cruise lines encourages. At the same time the prices for cruises seem to be staying the same or at the least increasing at a slower rate than other types of holidays. This means that there will be more people cruising that do not see dressing up as a priority.

The OP's question is the most controversial on these boards. You can see the vitriol that is occuring between posters.

Perhaps if some of the mass market cruise lines that some perceive to be more formal or attract an older clientele - HAL, Celebrity, Princess (maybe) were more strict on enforcing dress guidelines, then those who don't want to observe them can go to Carnival, RCCL and NCL. Then everyone would know what to expect and could make their cruise decisions accordingly.

Since our last cruise in February I went on a serious diet and lost 50 pounds. I can't wait to get some great formal photos taken with my wife in my new wardrobe.

Within the next few years, Princess will eliminate formal nights. Required (suggested dress) will be nice casual. With the new airline rules and changing demographics of the cruising public, formal nights will bite the dust on main-stream cruise lines. The "clothes horses" will have to turn to the premium lines.

Wow ..... you must be looking to fight with people. Partially quote my message and take it out of context so you can be angry. Ok.

No – not looking to fight and not trying to take your post out of context – right you referred to the tank top description originating in another post. My questioning that wasn’t necessarily directed at you – but if you didn’t mean to use the illustration, why did you perpetuate it? My point is, if it's permissable to ignore guidelines, then why draw the line? And if the line is drawn, who decides where it gets set? The cruise line should do it and does do it - but for some reason passengers think they know better.

1. The hairy man in the tank top example (from another user) occurs in the theater, and was meant to be an example of what might be far enough out of the norm to be noticed.

On a formal night, dressing casually is far enough out of the norm to be noticed.

2."The dress code I have used for all my cruising (and it seems to be acceptable, but not "exactly" what should be done) is as follows:

Non Formal Nights: Polo Shirt and Khakis

Formal Nights: Dress slacks, dress shirt, and maybe a tie"

was my original quote, and not a tank top on formal night (do not know where that leap came from).

I think you’re reading into my post. I made no insinuation that you were wearing or advocated wearing a tank top. I'd accuse you of wanting to be angry, but I don't think that's a fair accusation.

3. I cruise Princess because it is not overly formal, has anytime dining, and is generally a good value with a decent level of passengers.

Except for the Anytime Dining part, I totally agree with you. And I think the evidence that there is a decent level of passengers – most of whom with cruise vacation preferences that match mine – is when you see the number of people who dress appropriately while on board.

And I just wonder, are you honestly saying that your formal night would be ruined, and you would be that upset, because you saw someone not wearing a jacket at dinner? Because that is the conclusion I reach by your response to my post.

When people dress inappropriately for formal night – or any event for that matter – it says more about them than it does about me or my enjoyment of that event.

I must just be too easy going.

Perhaps. But whether or not, it's not fair to say that people aren't "easy going" because they like to attend a formal evening (repleate with appropriate dress). There are people who can be relaxed when properly dressed. That’s the way some of us enjoy a vacation. And as I asked before – with no answer – why is it permissible to encroach on the fun of those who enjoy formal evenings but not the other way around?

Within the next few years, Princess will eliminate formal nights. Required (suggested dress) will be nice casual. With the new airline rules and changing demographics of the cruising public, formal nights will bite the dust on main-stream cruise lines. The "clothes horses" will have to turn to the premium lines.

I agree with you (unfortunately).

I find it interesting that those who claim to be so accepting of people and their manner of dress consistently reduce themselves to name calling when in these discussions…

If this prediction holds true then us “clothes horses” will have to make a decision. If Princess goes “nice casual” there will be even more liberties taken with dress – and my decision as to whether I continue to give the cruise line my money will be made on whether or not the product is what I want to buy. I continue to be confused as to why someone would spend their money otherwise.

Perhaps. But whether or not, it's not fair to say that people aren't "easy going" because they like to attend a formal evening (repleate with appropriate dress). There are people who can be relaxed when properly dressed. That’s the way some of us enjoy a vacation. And as I asked before – with no answer – why is it permissible to encroach on the fun of those who enjoy formal evenings but not the other way around?

You have a valid point. I just have a feeling that if it were a casual night in the dining room and someone came in dressed to the nines there would be no confrontative threads about it.

I must have missed that press release from Princess - can you give me a link to it.

Ron

On "Formal Night" while on the Star 3 men in their 20's came to dinner wearing kahki shorts and t-shirts and they were not turned away! So... my question to all of you is... has anyone actually seen someone turned away for dressing inappropriately? :rolleyes:

Guess we have been lucky. Been on 20+ cruises and have never seen anyone come to the dining room in shorts on informal nights much less the formal ones.

Do I get your travel agent's commission? If you're asking me to do the work of researching cruise lines for you I think that's the least I should get.

Hardly a commission, maybe a thanks. You're the one who's saying that there might be a cruise line better suited to my taste. I know for a fact there isn't one BUT if there was & someone would comment on it I would be more than willing to look into it.

From what you post, you in fact don't like the product Princess presents - the Princess style cruise comes with formal nights and/or casual alternatives. Neither seem to fit your criteria of an acceptable cruise. The fact that you can break the guidelines and get away with it doesn't change the product that Princess offers.

I do like the Princess product (better than all the other cruise lines I've tried). Their dress code, although slightly stuffy for my taste, is acceptable to me & I don't let the dressiness of formal nights deter from my enjoyment.

In addition, the level of quality that is presented by Princess is there because of the formal nights and the less than casual atmosphere on board - when you put the whole product together, you get something more than what NCL offers. When you ignore the formality, you're telling Princess you don't care if they don't keep up their standards. Casual dining is fine with you. You're happy with the fare offered by Applebys and Denneys...and at the Horizon Court buffet.

You seem to equate the quality of food with the way an individual dresses. Princess continues to make money because of their food, entertainment & decent ships & my dressing down cannot possibly detract from Princess's quality. Let the others dress & keep up the Princess standards. I'm on vacation & want to enjoy myself & to old to care.

I'm sure any good Travel Agent would be more than willing to earn their commission by helping you to find something you'd be comfortable with.

I'll have to check into that one & get back to you at a later time but right now I'm planning my next 4 cruises on Princess.

You have a valid point. I just have a feeling that if it were a casual night in the dining room and someone came in dressed to the nines there would be no confrontative threads about it.
This is not an exact opposite. Plus, you will often find people dressing up to the nines on smart casual nights. As has been said, formal dress does not automatically equate to being uncomfortable. Whether you're wearing jeans or dress pants, if they don't fit, you'll be uncomfortable. FYI, Princess doesn't have any "casual" dress in the dining room at night; it's "smart casual" which can also be defined as country club casual or business casual.

Sure hope that come true but it's disputable because of all the profits made on formal pictures, drinks, tux rentals.

I can always hope.

This is not an exact opposite. Plus, you will often find people dressing up to the nines on smart casual nights. As has been said, formal dress does not automatically equate to being uncomfortable. Whether you're wearing jeans or dress pants, if they don't fit, you'll be uncomfortable. FYI, Princess doesn't have any "casual" dress in the dining room at night; it's "smart casual" which can also be defined as country club casual or business casual.

I do know that! I am well aware of the dress suggestions by the lines. I do my homework. I was using an hypothetical. I am very comfortable dressing up as is my husband. In fact we are stylish and look pretty darn good. I find a slight exception however to an elitist attitude and judgmental statements some folks use trying to make their point.

You seem to equate the quality of food with the way an individual dresses. Princess continues to make money because of their food, entertainment & decent ships & my dressing down cannot possibly detract from Princess's quality. Let the others dress & keep up the Princess standards. I'm on vacation & want to enjoy myself & to old to care.

Your dressing down - and those who join you - can detract from Princess' quality and over the 12 years I've been sailing Princess, already has. Princess has no reason to offer a higher quality food, entertainment or ship if those sailing the line don't require that higher standard. Princess will cater to its market and if its market doesn't want quality and demonstrates this by not embracing it, Princess has no reason to deliver it.

You've already established that you don't care what others think and you don't care how you affect other's experiences. As I said before, best of luck...

Sure hope that come true but it's disputable because of all the profits made on formal pictures, drinks, tux rentals.

I would be interested in seeing the numbers that support this contention.

Touche!;)

Part of our "joy" of cruising....are the formal nights....the air of excellence...the beauty of the dining room (dressed-up) for fine dining. The handsome men and beautiful ladies in their fine apparel and the children....what a sight they are, all dressed-up in their "Sunday Best!"

I don't have to partake of the glitz and glamour....I can choose to eat in the Buffet or on my private veranda or even take a plate out on one of the decks.....there are lots of choices!

I, do, however, have a lot of respect and admiration for those (including myself) who enjoy the fanfare of "a day gone by" where a gentleman and a lady acknowleded the dress codes and were a beautiful sight to behold!!!

I hope the cruiselines NEVER take away this part of the "cruise experience!"

And, I felt this way when I was 35 and took my very first cruise....I look at the table of eight of us.....so pretty...so much fun!!!!!

Archived