Catch 22 w/RCI

We met with our TA today to book the Mariner for 11/7/04. We needed four cabins, two PR's, one L and one D2. We need to have the L and D2 across the hall because our daughter and two of her friends will be staying in the L. RCI would only give us a GTY for the D2. They would not assign us a cabin. We asked them how do we book across from the L cabin and they said to book a JS, another L or hope for the best. Customer Service then said if the GTY did not turn out to be across the hall they would not allow us to board. So they (and we) want to be across the hall form the L, but will not book it. They kept saying to book the JS. Sounds to me like a Catch-22 or a forced upgrade or downgrade. The sad thing is they have lots of D2's and L's available. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Don't play with them! If they can't reasonably accomodate you....book with another cruise line!

There is nothing you as seeking that is out of line or unreasonable. In fact, what you're actually trying to do is abide by their own policies; policies that, in this instance, ARE unreasonable...along with much that is happening lately within this company. They don't deserve your business! Go somewhere that does!

Before the advent of nickel and diming, Cruising USED TO BE like being wide awake......and dreaming!

icon_frown.gif Now..it's just another vacation!!

Check out my cruise site -

<A HREF="http://parnami.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>

http://parnami.tripod.com</A>

Every night after 10 eastern time, I can be found in AOL keyword: "Cruise Cafe". Let's talk CRUISING!!!

if you were sailing during peak times or sailing within the next few weeks I can see where that may be a problem.

What you are asking is not impossible. Find a TA who will give you what you want--since you are paying for it.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Steve & Vicki, contact a good travel agent don't rely on calling RCI directly. You will also save at least an additional 5% but more than likely more. Explain your issues, ages, relationships to all those in your party and what categories work best with your budget and date of travel. I recommend getting quotes from at least 3 sources: on-line, hometown, and you already have RCI's version! I use an American Express agent. They are volume driven and command a lot of respect in the cruise industry. The only land based company which may be more expensive we find is AAA, but they are great for a comparison quote. Also, make them breakdown your cabin, taxes & port fees as well as your flight cost.

Bon voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

vickisteve,

Looking at some online reservations sites, it appears that all balcony categories other than D2-GTY are already sold out or otherwise spoken for.

In fact, now that I just re-checked I don't see any availability between Junior Suite and Oceanview.

Who told you there were lots of D2's available? You might want to ask them "where"?

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

Thank you all for your advice. My TA just called and he just happened to have lunch today with the local RCI Sales Rep. She told him that she would call the Revenue Dept. and try to get them to override the GTY and assign us a D2 across from the L. We should know by tomorrow if they will or not. If not, we will look for another cruise line. I will keep you posted.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vickisteve:

RCI Sales Rep. She told him that she would call the Revenue Dept. and try to get them to override the GTY and assign us a D2 across from the L. We should know by tomorrow if they will or not. If not, we will look for another cruise line. I will keep you posted.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif Good..that's the way things should have worked to begin with!

Before the advent of nickel and diming, Cruising USED TO BE like being wide awake......and dreaming!

icon_frown.gif Now..it's just another vacation!!

Check out my cruise site -

<A HREF="http://parnami.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>

http://parnami.tripod.com</A>

Every night after 10 eastern time, I can be found in AOL keyword: "Cruise Cafe". Let's talk CRUISING!!!

In just checking, the only balcony staterooms available on this sailing are Junior Suites and Grand Suites. All others are either closed or waitlisted (D2 are waitlisted).

Unless a specific TA just happens to have group space with D2's on hold, it doesn't matter if you do to RCI direct or to another TA, if the D2's are no longer available, they're no longer available.

Kelly

My Cruise Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/kfrancis5

Cruise Critic Partae Pirates Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Carnival Miracle 02/13/05

Sovereign of the Seas 9/21/03

Brilliance of the Seas 11/09/2002

Paradise, 9/01/2001

Atlantic, 12/1991

[This message was edited by KellyJean on 04-14-04 at 04:13 PM.]

RCI opened a few of D2's today. The RCI sales rep and our TA booked the cabin we needed so everything worked out fine. Still seems a little strange that at first there were no D2's available, then just GTY's and today the cabin we needed came available. I'm not sure if it is luck or RCI is playing games with cabin availablity. To me it doesn't really matter since it all worked out. We can't wait for this cruise, since we really enjoy the Voyager Class ships and RCI.

Steve

Archived