Tired of Comments about Cruising in Hurricane season...

deenab

I will go ahead and say this because I am getting a little frustrated with the continuous comments of "that's what you get for cruising during hurricane season". Yes, there are alot of people that whine about the weather and the inconvenience of cruise disruption. But I would be willing to bet that most of those that complain are first or second time cruisers. Most of us that have cruised multiple times understand that anything can happen at any time.

People say that cruises are cheaper during that time of year. I have cruised multiple times during different times of the year and the best price we ever got was during May. I cruise when I cruise based not just on the cost, but the ports, availability of friends and when my husband gets to schedule his vacation.

I know that there is the possibility my cruise will be shortened or lenghtened based upon circumstances beyond my control. Several years ago my husband went into anaphylactic shock from an unknown allergy to shellfish on the very first night of a 7 day cruise. He was rushed to the infirmary where he spent 12 hours taking oxygen and having shots. We couldn't leave the ship for the first port because he had to take it easy. Another time we floated around for 2 extra days because of a storm and had to be bused from Fort Lauderdale to Port Canaveral on an old Greyhound bus because our port was too damaged for the ship's arrival. But did we let it bother us? No, we enjoy going and whatever happens during the trip, I let it roll off my back and go with the flow.

And while we are at it, quit complaining about the waiter or room steward, the show you didn't like, that the food wasn't what you expected, the room was too small, blah...blah...blah...blah... Just enjoy the ride!:D

Sunday the priest mentioned how much time humans spend whining about different things and how much wasted energy it is. I have tried to take it to heart and think first because I am a 1st class whiner. But at least I know it.:D

Personally I would would not book a cruise in August, Sept or Oct. I live in New Orleans so I know storms a little too well. We are cruising on Jan 4. We may still hit bad weather, but statistically I have a better chance.

But for those who want to cruise during these times, go for it! But have the attitude of the OP. Understand it is risky.

Unfortunately there will never be a time when everyone is truly happy. There will always be one person who will complain whether it be the food, weather, service whatever. I too get very tired of it.

Then don't listen, it is just like the TV, if you don't like what you are hearing....turn it off.:confused:

I think there's a big difference between whiners and those discussing pros and cons of a cruise. Why isn't it ok for cruisers to express their disappointment over certain things? I get extremely tired of the phrase "a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work". For those taking their once in a lifetime cruise that they've saved years to do, shouldn't they be allowed to express themselves?..........are we all required to wear rose-colored glasses?

We're fortunate in that we're able to cruise often. I feel badly for those who don't have that luxury and have things happen to spoil their cruise (things more important than a cabin steward who isn't real friendly or rubbery lobster tail).

I will go ahead and say this because I am getting a little frustrated with the continuous comments of "that's what you get for cruising during hurricane season". Yes, there are alot of people that whine about the weather and the inconvenience of cruise disruption. But I would be willing to bet that most of those that complain are first or second time cruisers. Most of us that have cruised multiple times understand that anything can happen at any time.

People say that cruises are cheaper during that time of year. I have cruised multiple times during different times of the year and the best price we ever got was during May. I cruise when I cruise based not just on the cost, but the ports, availability of friends and when my husband gets to schedule his vacation.

I know that there is the possibility my cruise will be shortened or lenghtened based upon circumstances beyond my control. Several years ago my husband went into anaphylactic shock from an unknown allergy to shellfish on the very first night of a 7 day cruise. He was rushed to the infirmary where he spent 12 hours taking oxygen and having shots. We couldn't leave the ship for the first port because he had to take it easy. Another time we floated around for 2 extra days because of a storm and had to be bused from Fort Lauderdale to Port Canaveral on an old Greyhound bus because our port was too damaged for the ship's arrival. But did we let it bother us? No, we enjoy going and whatever happens during the trip, I let it roll off my back and go with the flow.

And while we are at it, quit complaining about the waiter or room steward, the show you didn't like, that the food wasn't what you expected, the room was too small, blah...blah...blah...blah... Just enjoy the ride!:D

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said!

I get extremely tired of the phrase "a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work".

exactly

I pay to be on a cruise, and they pay me to be at work

sorry if I see a difference between the type of day it should be

I agree some people pick a cruise based on vacation time and other things, but if you cruise during hurricane season you always risk bad weather. It may happen, it may not happen you never know. But it is out of everyone hands. Like a posted said on one of the other posted they ran out of blood pressure medicine and heart medicine. I can tell you first hand if I leave the house for a week vacation I take at least 14 days worth of my husbands medicine with us, in case of emergencies. He has had open heart surgery I do not want to risk him being without his medicine. That is just comman sense.

We actually like cruising during Hurricane Season. I know some don't but the seas most of the time are very calm and the water in the islands is like a bath tub.

Nov out of Fl is one of the worst times to go (if you don't like choppy water) out of fl because of the cold fronts coming through and it makes the water rough.

I think there's a big difference between whiners and those discussing pros and cons of a cruise. Why isn't it ok for cruisers to express their disappointment over certain things? I get extremely tired of the phrase "a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work". For those taking their once in a lifetime cruise that they've saved years to do, shouldn't they be allowed to express themselves?..........are we all required to wear rose-colored glasses?

We're fortunate in that we're able to cruise often. I feel badly for those who don't have that luxury and have things happen to spoil their cruise (things more important than a cabin steward who isn't real friendly or rubbery lobster tail).

Well said. You voiced what I've been thinking, thank you.

I agree with all of the above! You know some people have their little sayings on copy/paste, and you can always count on the same people to say the same things.

My personal peeve is the comment "Why didn't you come to Cruise Critic BEFORE your cruise, so you would know what to expect?" That is so lame, I guess some don't realize when you are upset, you try to find an outlet that will listen to you! Well they were not mad before the cruise, so they didn't find us.. help them out.. and move on.

Just to put in my little 2 cents. We have cruised or gone to the Caribbean in mid October every year for many years now. Missed hurricanes by a few days twice, but have had beautiful weather each time. We leave on Oct 12, on the VALOR and am looking forward to it. BUT we have bad luck we will go with the flow. October is really a great month to cruise.

MOM

I totally agree with you - I have learned so much from those people that post honest reviews - discussing the differences between various cruise lines - areas that they recommend we stay away from, etc. etc. - I certainly don't consider them to be winers - just honest reviewers - sharing their opinion - (Please don't stop !)

My personal peeve is the comment "Why didn't you come to Cruise Critic BEFORE your cruise, so you would know what to expect?" That is so lame, I guess some don't realize when you are upset, you try to find an outlet that will listen to you! Well they were not mad before the cruise, so they didn't find us.. help them out.. and move on.

Yes, people always need an outlet when they are upset.

Funny that people always make time to complain if they are upset.

These are always the SAME people that don't take the time to do their homeowrk first. They invest a lot of money into a cruise (or any other vacation) without doing any research...but when things go wrong, POW~ on the computer, Googling away, to see who they can complain to.

These same people will complain to the cruiseline about every little thing that wasn't perfect on their cruise but would never take the time to write the cruise line with compliments on the staff.

No cruise is perfect. if you come on here and have a well thought out review that is constructive, everyone appreciates it. If you have one big negative rant, no one can take you seriously.

If you come on and express disappointment because of changes to your itinerary, this is also fine. but if you come on with a rant, ESPECIALLY if your cruise was diverted because of a storm, this is not the same thing.

Back a few months ago a passenger caused a riot on one of CCL's ships because he was outraged that they missed a port and all he got in monetary compensation was a return of the port fee. If I had been on that cruise and had that passenger getting everyone all fired up, it would have totally wrecked my cruise...the missing port would have just been a mere disappointment. But a ship full of irate passengers would have killed it for me. I don't know what people expect the ship to do when there is a hurricane. Do they want the Captain to sail into it???

Do they expect their cruise cost refunded???

I don't get it.

Anyway, I do get upset when people 'find' CC after the fact IF they are ranting.

Many have come on with valid complaints, expressed well in a calm post and have stated that they wished they had found Cruise Critic before they cruised. These intelligent people, who realize they made a mistake and learned a lesson from it are not to be confused with the 'one post wonders' who create a first post that is nothing but a negative rant.

I live on the SW coast of Florida. People should know that hurricane season is from June 1 -NOv. 1! Now, if you want to believe that we can't have a hurricane in Oct., go ahead!! Hurricane Wilma hit the Naples/Fort Myers area----and created havoc all the way to W.Palm Beach/FLauderdale---on about Oct. 26, 2005. That was the year we went into the Greek alphabet on the hurricane season. The only thing you can do is be prepared and do NOT BE NAIVE when it comes to hurricane season. We are in a very different storm pattern these days! We've been told the last few years that this could last for another decade or longer. Book a cruise. Have fun. But, don't blame the cruise line!

While I agree hurricanes are not the cruise lines fault, there have been surrounding issues cruisers have brought up i.e. lack of communication, etc.

Sadly, any sort of criticism of the cruise line is met with venom and abrasiveness here at cruise critic.

I hate to complain, but if everyone did what you said, what would I do with the half-hour that I have in the evenings between doing the dishes and making sure the kids get to bed.

Karysa

Well said!

I completely agree. Sure, there are plenty of people who are just whiners and you can't make them happy. But for the rest of us, at what point do you say enough is enough with something wrong? I love cruising, but I do expect a certain level of service and ammenities for the money I'm paying.

If any cruise is better than work, then why would the cruise lines bother trying to please? They could just stick you on a rust bucket with untrained, surly staff and be done with you. And according to some everyone should be perfectly happy with that.

I can overlook plenty and not sweat the small stuff. But there are also legitimate complaints out there. Just because someone mentions something they disliked or where they felt there was room for improvement doesn't mean they didn't have a great time or should keep it to themselves in the interest of "nothing could possibly ruin a cruise."

Well said!

I completely agree. Sure, there are plenty of people who are just whiners and you can't make them happy. But for the rest of us, at what point do you say enough is enough with something wrong? I love cruising, but I do expect a certain level of service and ammenities for the money I'm paying.

If any cruise is better than work, then why would the cruise lines bother trying to please? They could just stick you on a rust bucket with untrained, surly staff and be done with you. And according to some everyone should be perfectly happy with that.

I can overlook plenty and not sweat the small stuff. But there are also legitimate complaints out there. Just because someone mentions something they disliked or where they felt there was room for improvement doesn't mean they didn't have a great time or should keep it to themselves in the interest of "nothing could possibly ruin a cruise."

Amen to that :)

I agree!

And I too hate the phrase "a bad day on a cruise is better then a good day at work" :rolleyes: I would rather work any day then waste my money on a bad cruise.......

I agree!

And I too hate the phrase "a bad day on a cruise is better then a good day at work" :rolleyes: I would rather work any day then waste my money on a bad cruise.......

Me, too, as I'm one of the lucky ones who likes his job. I also like vacations but sometimes things aren't what they should be and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out, although some folks on this site seem to feel personally insulted at any criticism of Carnival.

I agree!

Absolutely agree

I hate it when some states that.. I actually love my job and the people I work with! So no.. I rather be at work also when the cruise is ... well sucky!

Archived