An Interesting tale

yorky

We have spoken with the home office in New York on two occasions. On both of these they have promised to phone us back and have failed to do so. They have also ignored an E-mail sent to them. Given we purchased goods to the vajue of $6000 that's poor in my book.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. That was certainly not the case when I had problems. I would definitely keep trying though. Something that expensive is worth hounding them to make it right. It's sad to hear that their customer service has gone downhill. I'll be very cautious in the future buying from DI knowing that their customer service isn't what it used to be.

Bob

I certainly agree that using a credit card gives an additional level of protection. However, IMO that level is much less than many people think.

For nonperformance of one sort or another, the ability to dispute a charge is absolutely great. However, for dissatisfaction of one kind or another, the credit card company is unlikely to allow the dispute. More likely, their concern will be whether or not you received the item charged, not whether you are dissatisfied because it is a lot crappier than you imagined. If you walk out of a store with the item, and there is no fraud involved, I am rather doubtful how often one prevails if the item later breaks. Still, I would try to recover through the credit card. You might get lucky.

Bill

Back in 2003 I had purchased a ring for my wife from DI. We had a problem with the ring shortly after returning and I contacted DI's home office in NY. They provided some of the best customer service I've ever experienced in my life. They answered all my questions in a timely manner, gave me explicit instructions on how to send the ring to them in NY, repaired the ring and shipped it back with no problems whatsoever. I dealt with one customer service rep during the entire process. At the end when I got the ring back from them he even called to make sure everything was corrected to my satisfaction. Unless they've gone way downhill or you're demanding something out of line I don't see them having that kind of attitude. At least not from my personal experience. Have you contacted their customer service at the home office???

Bob

p.s. For those who say there are no deals there. My wifes ring appraised here in the States for nearly 50% more than I paid for it at DI.

A few years ago on the Diamond Princess I purchsed a fairly expensive ring from DI. ($9,000.00) When I got home I had it appraised and it appraised for $15,000.00 So I would have to say I did get a great deal. I have also exchanged rings and got the exact credit they said I would applied to the new ring I purchased.

We have been on more than 10 cruises in the past few years and on every cruise....Diamonds International was mentioned! I've yet to visit them!
I realized that I should have qualified my remark by saying that I haven't taken a Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or Alaskan cruise in several years. Perhaps that's why I haven't seen shopping recommendations on Princess for a while. FYI, if you ever have Joe May as the Port Lecturer on your cruise, he actually works for Princess and knows what the heck he's talking about. He's very knowledgeable.

I realized that I should have qualified my remark by saying that I haven't taken a Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or Alaskan cruise in several years. Perhaps that's why I haven't seen shopping recommendations on Princess for a while. FYI, if you ever have Joe May as the Port Lecturer on your cruise, he actually works for Princess and knows what the heck he's talking about. He's very knowledgeable.

Pam,

While Joe is still on Princess ships, I don't think he's employed directly by Princess anymore. You are correct Joe gives great port lectures, and (fortunately) he doesn't make store recommendations. We've had Joe for 3 or 4 cruises over the years and recognizes us when he sees us again. Nice man.

BTW I detest those port lectures which are nothing more than shilling for "approved" stores. While we've made purchases on our travels, that's not the reason why we go. We tend to go on the "Exotics", and rarely cruise to the Caribbean, Mexico or Alaska. The longer exotic cruises generally don't have the "shopping advisor" on board.

Jim

OP, did you use a credit card to purchase? If you did, I would contact your credit card company and explain the problem to them - see what they say. Sometimes your c.c. company may back up a purchase made with the card.

If they allow you to do a chargeback, I guarantee you'll hear from DI quickly.

I'd also call DI and tell them I was doing a chargeback because no one has esponded to you.

Sorry this happened - we never go to the stores they recommend on the ships. Someone somewhere is getting paid for referring you to those stores.

Archived